ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Duckdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
990 battery?

who makes the best batteries for this bikes or motorcycles in general?
Duckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Rafagas
Rafagas

Oddometer: 47
Battery

I have Shorai LFX18A1- BS12 , ultra light and xuper good
Rafagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,613
Yuasa YTZ14s AGM Made in Japan. The new lithium batteries show some potential but there are too many poor reports out there for me. I need reliable starting for my out in the middle of nowhere riding.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Yuasa YTZ14s AGM Made in Japan. The new lithium batteries show some potential but there are too many poor reports out there for me. I need reliable starting for my out in the middle of nowhere riding.

True about Lithium batteries having poor reports. The manufacturers including Shorai were to keen to get product to market they pushed undersized batteries for most bigger bikes and still have no Battery cell protection as of now. Neither Shorai or Ballistic. That's why I won't sell them anymore.

Earth X. has direct OEM replacement, matching or exceeding Amp hour capacity and uses SAE standards not chinese like the other makers.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Duckdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Ok thanks for the help guys!
Duckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,874
have posted this several times, but here goes again:

for most folks, my advice is go with AGM. unless weight is totally critical. AGM has one of the main advantages of LiFePO4 which is very low self discharge. unless one has a large parasitic current drain. trickle charger will not be needed for LiFePO4 or AGM over the winter.

some bikes normally have a small self discharge. for those bikes a trickle charger will be needed regardless of what type battery is used. Your lead/acid battery charger may or may not properly charge LiFePO4 batteries.

if you've got a modern adventure bike and decide that it's worth $$$ to save 10 lb or so over AGM or Gel. forget the marketing hype mfg use to calculate which battery to use.

use actual amp hour rating less 25%. note this is for modern Adventure bikes, which has one of the highest battery demands of any bike. example, if factory ratings is 12 amp hour x .75 = 9 amp hour actual LiFePO4 amp hour rating.

some bikes that only are used in fair weather can get by with much lower LiFePO4 amp hour ratings. one advantage of LiFePO4 batteries is ability to deliver larger amps for size, while maintaining a very flat discharge cycle.

learning how to start your bike with LiFePO4 in cold weather is mandatory. yes procedures are different.

take mfg amp hour ratings with a bucket of salt... use real amp hour ratings to size your LiFePO4 needs. LiFePO4 batteries when sized properly are robust, super lightweight batteries.

for details why, follow link in sig
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote