Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #16
vade
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Used a couple of layers of electric tape on mine, worked well.
vade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,320
If you've got a Ski-Doo shop nearby you can get really nice self adhesive cork bar insulators.

Edit: d'oh...what he said.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
I use a old throttle tube, with the cable part cut off and a slit down the middle, glued and wired to the bar. When replacing grips I buy two pair and use two throttle sides, leaving the the two unused (left) grips for my bicycle.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #19
D.T. OP
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,346
I put the cheapo heated grips on my new V strom. Used electrical tape on the LH side, BUT. The heat is uneven due to the LH grip being much THICKER that the right side throttle tube. Looks like I need a thinner grip for the clutch side grip to remedy this problem.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
Splatman
ADVrider wannabe

Oddometer: 31
For the clutch side I used a "Lock-On Grip System by ODI Grips".. Once you remove the grip (a pain cause it's bonded on really well)
it's just like a throttle tube.. You then install the grip heater & grip to this pseudo throttle tube and install this unit to your bike with
Aluminum Lock Jaw Clamps..

Lock-On Grip System by ODI Grips: New ~ $30.00.. Available at bicycle stores.. Or.. Since you do not need the grips buy used from
Ebay for ~ $10.00.. Bought the 130mm length (115mm grip plus 2 clamps = 130mm).. One set will do two motorcycles.. Make sure
the set includes the Aluminum Lock Jaw Clamps..

Grip Heaters: I use Symtec Brand.. Complete kit (one clutch, one throttle, switch and misc) available from California Sport Touring..
If done this way the clutch side can get too hot so I prefer to use "both sides throttle" and buy replacement heaters from Symtec..

Grips: I use Scott Hurricane.. To do this properly you will need two throttle side grips (I use the other two on my mountain bike)..

Grip Glue: Install my grips with: Three Bond Griplock.. And then lightly safety wired.. Doing it this way since 2008 never a problem..

Splatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Howdy all--

I got this Moose Racing grip heater kit and I got a roll of Rescue Tape too.

Do I just wrap the left bar in Rescue Tape and then stick on the heater, and put the grip over that? the instructions mention JB Weld but that seems weird.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #22
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,708
That's it. We use a shot of hairspray inside the grips as a lube/glue. Never had any need for JB Weld.

Sarah
Old 11-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Howdy all--

I got this Moose Racing grip heater kit and I got a roll of Rescue Tape too.

Do I just wrap the left bar in Rescue Tape and then stick on the heater, and put the grip over that? the instructions mention JB Weld but that seems weird.
There's a thread on heated grip glue floating around here. Lots of different results with hair spray and other types of glue due to heat expansion and contraction, etc.
The instructions with my Hot Grips listed a two-part, slow cure, heat resistant epoxy, which I got at Ace for 8 bucks and has withstood the test of time. Removing the grip will require trashing it but it usually does anyway.