User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
CENGLAND OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
cambodia ruin ride. 2012

Hey folks I'm writing this early post for those I have informed and plan to fallow my trip, and anyone else interested in the idea.

Ill give just a some brief history and Itinerary, along with the main intention of the trip.

Cambodia is abound with hidden ancient historical treasures that are rarely seen by visitors only because of their shear remote access and non guided cooperation.

The Main goal is to reach all the remote Angkor temples, historical and cultural structures within Cambodia. Including each national park and conservation area. While hitting as much dirt as possible and off as much pavement as I can manage.

this trip will be as budget as possible that means camping along with my only expenses being gas, food, and the occasional lodge and or the routine bribe, that is typically necessary ;)

I leave 11/29/12 at 10:45 pm and will arrive in Bangkok travel to Phnom Penh where ill pick up the bike, still deciding between the 450 and or the 650, and then start the trip. Ill run across the border to Vietnam and Laos if its convenient. I have one month, more than enough time to complete the tour. If I finish quick ill run to the Thai islands and finish it up Diving :)
Pictures and video will begin at that time.

Thanks for all the support and I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do, More than that I hope you make the next trip.

CENGLAND screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:42 PM
CENGLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
MTFYR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Good Luck Chris, I will be following and keeping an eye on you!!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
CENGLAND OP
n00b

Thanks buddy I appreciate it.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Some of the best riding Ive ever done was in Cambodia. An excellent experience that I would do all over again. Good luck and keep us informed.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #5
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
You'll enjoy the sights in Cambodia. The temples of Thailand never inspire me however the Angkor period temples of Cambodia are always of interest.

Looking forward to seeing where you explore about enjoying the backwoods of Cambo. Depending how far off the beaten track you intend to get I would recommend other than the 650.

It can get tight, and if the bogs have not dried up before ya land real mucky. If however its mostly fireroads to the temples you're planning on accessing then most anything will do. Sadly the country is changing rapidly with the Chinese influence developing the infrastructure. What used to be fun dirt trails are regularly getting bulldozed, graded, and even asphalted. A real shame as the character of the land is changing quite rapidly.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures. If you need any local information there is a website that a lot of people are using for info in the area: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/forum.php

Best of luck on your journey.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,672
I will be following you...My good friend and I were to be there right now but I had to back out due to a very bad knee.Post lots of pictures so I can see what I`m missing.......HAVE FUN !!!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
aboveangkor
Adventurer

The rainy season has been running long this year.Lot of places still wet.Still a lot of rice in the fields.
Bikes are like women,you don't want one that you can't pick up!Go with a 250.That's cc not pounds.Can fix it anywhere and there's no reason to be in a hurry.You don't have time to look around and relax.Been living here for years and have about a hundred thousand miles on two wheels.About the same on four.Another hundred thousand miles {2000 hours} flying microlight trikes.Low and slow.Hunting temples and flying 21 provinces.
'Not to be a buzz kill but if you have a crash with a local and no international or Cambodia license you could be in deep shit.The days of paying a few dollars and walking away are FADING FAST.Slow down untill you stop cussing.
Still plenty of red dirt out there and remote temples.One thing about Cambodia,it's never boring!
Give me a shout if you run out of temples.Iám no expert,but my friends are.
aboveangkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
SRrider
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Careful

Been to Cambodia many times. Almost weekly there are reports of landmine incidents. Be careful
SRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Last couple of years lightning has killed more people than landmines.About 150 a year.Samlot over near Palin is pretty bad.And anywhere on the K5 mine belt.Good rule of thumb is stay on the trail.I have some footage on youtube that I shot working with Halo Trust and CMAC.Search aboveangkor.Last time I heard of a tourist getting killed was over ten years ago.Driving is still the best way to die here.Five a day.
Between 65 and 73 the US dropped 2.8 million tons on Cambodia.Still a lot out there.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 518
Looking forward to your report.
Was in Vietnam this year and planning a Cambodia trip in 2014.
Have a good trip

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
jsantos58
jsantos58

Oddometer: 229
Bike Rental

Please share where you are renting your bike from. I have a business trip to Bangkok in March and I was thinking of renting a bike to explore the country side
js
jsantos58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
CENGLAND OP
n00b

Im not sure at the moment I just landed in taiwon. Ill find the best bike for the best price. I will definately let you know though. I will be renting from the city of phnom penh.

Thanks for all the heads up advice. I did this ride 7 years ago, on a 250, and it was a blast. And I think the biggest loss at this point may be the realization that the country has changed so much and what I have come to expect no longer exists. I would hope that with that said and the fact of further development within the country that atleast the quality of life of the local peoples has increased, but that never seems to be the case. I find the lightening info to be very intersting and will most definately take that into consideration. well I intend to make the most of it, and please keep the advice coming.

Ill begin posting video and pics as soon as I get the bike.

Thanks, Chris.

CENGLAND screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 04:18 PM
Old 11-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
CENGLAND OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveangkor View Post
The rainy season has been running long this year.Lot of places still wet.Still a lot of rice in the fields.
Bikes are like women,you don't want one that you can't pick up!Go with a 250.That's cc not pounds.Can fix it anywhere and there's no reason to be in a hurry.You don't have time to look around and relax.Been living here for years and have about a hundred thousand miles on two wheels.About the same on four.Another hundred thousand miles {2000 hours} flying microlight trikes.Low and slow.Hunting temples and flying 21 provinces.
'Not to be a buzz kill but if you have a crash with a local and no international or Cambodia license you could be in deep shit.The days of paying a few dollars and walking away are FADING FAST.Slow down untill you stop cussing.
Still plenty of red dirt out there and remote temples.One thing about Cambodia,it's never boring!
Give me a shout if you run out of temples.Iám no expert,but my friends are.

Thanks for the info. Ill do as much as i can.
Also if you know a good rental shop or a spot place to get the bike I would be interested. I figure Ill roam the city until I find the best deal. Ill Also probably go with the 250 again.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Smaller bike.

I agree that you should choose the smaller bike. Most bikes in the country are typically 125cc. A 250 will be huge in comparison!! I rode all over Cambodia on a Honda Bonus 125. Wish I had a 250 as that 125 isn't very off road capable (but it did great on road even 2-up).

On another note, and this may depend on your rental agency, but I hear it's pretty difficult to take a Cambodian bike across the border. You can take a Vietnamese bike anywhere, but Laotian or Cambodian, that may be a different story.

Good luck!!

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
aboveangkor
Adventurer

I don't want to say rent a bike from XYZ.Maybe you get a POS.Don't rent from Lucky Lucky!!!
Go see Jim at Cali2 up on the north end of the riverfront in PP.He has lots of good maps and has rode all over SEA.Maybe stay one night there and get an idea where your going.Just my thoughts but forget the other countrys cause the paper work is to much.Plus you have to leave your passport for the bike.Get a tuk tuk driver to buy you a $20 dollar used phone and SIM card.Call me at 092 533 269 if you need anything.email is my user name at yahoo.com.Good luck.