Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #31
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs View Post
Hi Dave

A word of warning about placing the winch on the rear. I have mine on the front because when I placed it on the rear I kept hitting my shins against the bloody thing Ouch!!!

3legs
Howdy 3legs, how are ya mate.

I won't know for certain where or how the winch will be mounted until I have it in my hands and can mock up some mounts. My plan is to mount it off of the rear of the sidecar frame and position the winch itself between the inboard side of the sidecar and the rear wheel on the bike. What I have envisioned will place the winch well behind my feet, in fact behind the rear strut that goes from near the top of the bike frame to the inboard part of the hack frame.

Based on how often I have needed to use the rope puller I am thinking the winch will be just taking up space about 99.5% of the time. So I want to have it mounted where it will be the most advantages for weighting the rear wheel for traction and OUT of the way for normal riding use. I also think that at least 95% of the time I'll actually use the winch to pull the rig forward that is why I will go through the trouble to make it easy to switch it from the rear to the front by the use of quick disconnect, water proof electrical connections.

Then again once I get this darn thing mounted, tested so that I know its trouble free I may find myself going places that even a semi-sane bastard such as myself would not have gone or attempted to go before. I have a real bad habit of pushing the envelope, I hope mounting this winch won't tempt me to progress from sometimes insane riding to idiotic.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote