ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
DualsportWA OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Network of trails and FS roads around the Olympic Peninsula?

Hi all- with snow coming down lower, I'm dreaming of a 2-3 night adventure ride to do with one of my buddies that would be a mix of pavement, logging roads, and singletrack that would loop the Olympic Peninsula. Seems like you ought to be able to do that kind of ride year round as long as the elevation was lower...

I've only driven the 101- anyone know of good trail networks and FS roads that could make that loop more interesting than just pounding pavement?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
That sounds like a great plan DualpportWA, keep us posted!

Starting just outside of Port Angeles, I can vouch for the extended area around Sadie Creek ORV Park, near Joyce, and down around Crescent Lake. There are a lot of fun rides in the area, ranging from gnarly single track, to some awesome fire roads and everything in between...

Wish I could give you some specific route details, but I can't find my topo maps that I marked up...
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quick Study

For someone not familiar with the Peninsula I would suggest getting Baja Dave's Griptwister Tour CD. Yes, it costs you some money, but you will be on the best through roads without a season's trial and error. In addition to the aforementioned Sadie Creek, there are play areas and trails at Happy Valley ORV and some single track down south on the Griptwister CD. Right now snow levels are flucuating between 2500 and 4000 feet, still doable. If the level drops below 2500 feet only the low roads will be available. Unless it is below freezing in Forks, this time of year, it is raining-a lot. If you're flexible and watch the weather it's a very doable trip. dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualsportWA View Post
Hi all- with snow coming down lower, I'm dreaming of a 2-3 night adventure ride to do with one of my buddies that would be a mix of pavement, logging roads, and singletrack that would loop the Olympic Peninsula. Seems like you ought to be able to do that kind of ride year round as long as the elevation was lower...

I've only driven the 101- anyone know of good trail networks and FS roads that could make that loop more interesting than just pounding pavement?
Last Sept I went from Bremerton to Pacific Beach across FS 22 & 23. I got a map at AAA and it was easy. At the corner store on the pavement that jogged S to go N to Pacific Beach, I met a great local on a 650L who showed me logging spurs that came out on Aloha Ridge then right down to Pacific Beach.

When I was at Fred Meyer in Bremerton a great guy who rode the route all around the Olympics met me at my loaded motorcycle and told me how to go. Thanks, great folks along the way!

ADVNCW screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:19 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Oddometer: 14,237
I have a handle on the entire West side, 101 North to South, PM me if you need ideas. I have about 25k miles in there
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
DualsportWA OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thanks everyone- I appreciate all the info and ideas!!!

I'm thinking to buy this:
http://www.griptwister.com/olympics.html

Sounds well worth the money, and it would be great to support an ADVRIDER!!!

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
robl245
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Last Sept I went from Bremerton to Pacific Beach across FS 22 & 23. I got a map at AAA and it was easy. At the corner store on the pavement that jogged S to go N to Pacific Beach, I met a great local on a 650L who showed me logging spurs that came out on Aloha Ridge then right down to Pacific Beach.

When I was at Fred Meyer in Bremerton a great guy who rode the route all around the Olympics met me at my loaded motorcycle and told me how to go. Thanks, great folks along the way!
Hey ADVNCW,

That's a great shot there! I'm wondering about that windscreen you have on that Honda (230?). Where did you get it? Does it ever get in the way? Is it easy to remove? (Throw it on there for the longer road sections, strap it on the back for the fire road sections)

I'm one of the buddies DualpportWA is refering to and my challenge is to get this:

ready for a ride like this. (Looking more like your bike) It's stock other than an Enduro Engineering seat, and a full Baja Designs dual sport kit. I've since added D606s. I'm guessing the next step would be a larger tank and some sort of rear rack. I've never done any riding that involves packing any gear before, so if I'm able to go, this will be a first for me. Any advice?
robl245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualsportWA View Post
Thanks everyone- I appreciate all the info and ideas!!!

I'm thinking to buy this:
http://www.griptwister.com/olympics.html

Sounds well worth the money, and it would be great to support an ADVRIDER!!!

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

I'll second that plan to get the GPS tour from Dave. It's an killer loop that take the guess work out of your trip. Now after you get warmed up from the loop, take a look at the fully supported Baja tour for this spring. I know I'll be there Have a great ride!!

P.S. That 610 would be perfect in Baja

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
74 Honda MR50 - Sold and I wish I hadn't

Eldon screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 08:03 PM Reason: P.S.
Eldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by robl245 View Post
Hey ADVNCW,

That's a great shot there! I'm wondering about that windscreen you have on that Honda (230?). Where did you get it? Does it ever get in the way? Is it easy to remove? (Throw it on there for the longer road sections, strap it on the back for the fire road sections)

I'm one of the buddies DualpportWA is refering to and my challenge is to get this:

ready for a ride like this. (Looking more like your bike) It's stock other than an Enduro Engineering seat, and a full Baja Designs dual sport kit. I've since added D606s. I'm guessing the next step would be a larger tank and some sort of rear rack. I've never done any riding that involves packing any gear before, so if I'm able to go, this will be a first for me. Any advice?
I really like my 606s, learned about the 606 here...

I like a windshield. I rode some tight singletrack and hill climbs around Leavenworth, eg Tronsen Ridge etc, with the windshield. Don't do it unless you have a full-face helmet since I whacked the edge of the windshield with the 'chin' of the helmet a few times riding dirt until I learned to keep my head back But with that, even trail riding was fine with the windshield, a little less visibility in front but I rode my usual stuff with the windshield on singletrack to see how it would be.

Locked some stuff and went hiking...

Here ya go-

https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...b59085fed6fa0c

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...asin-saddlebag

I had fun on two different trips ripping along the surf from Moclips to just north of Seaside OR on the motor-legal stretches.In nice sunny weather, of course!

I bought the Honda 230L because except for a KTM or Husky that is the lightest dual sport, and I did not want to spend the $$. My dirt riding goes back to my '75 Husky CR360GP @ 219 lbs dry!!! Thus, I have a problem imagining a 300+ lb dualsport motorcycle! I like to say that my 230L loaded weighs less than the new CRF250L- unloaded (true)! I just brought home a WR250R which I have read is readily lightened to 270ish lbs. and has enough HP to break the speed limit (unlike the trail capable but road-weak 230L).

With my setup I had a comfortable camp and 2 days or more food, two hours of backpack stove fuel, plus about 1 gallon water. When I need the range I use the Kolpin 1.5 gal on the front rack, which @ 73 MPG with the 2.3 gal tank+ 1.5 gal Kolpin gave a lot of range on the little dog 230L! I bought the Giant Loop Great Basin soft luggage because I did not want to add the weight of a rack. It works, but a pia to learn to pack until you develop a system. I strap a 40L waterproof bag on with the bulky light stuff eg my tent, sleeping bag, puffy coat. I and my family go overnight backpacking and on mountain bikes overnight thus have light stuff, but still it took a while to figure it out and a lot of time packing up. With the load on that little bike I rode singletrack and including the Naches Pass Jeep trail several times, which was a bit rough in places... and steep...But the small bike and tractor motor is easy- not fast, but unstoppable.

I will put the windshield on the WR250R to ride the CDR next year, and will use the Giant Loop Great Basin and my 40L bag.

In the 1970's I was an "adventure rider" before that term was well-known on a 2 stroke GT750 Suzuki- rode the AK Hwy, down to Baja, 44 states. On the GT750 I had a Hugon fairing, a clear plexiglas rounded thing with and extension. I learned that the fairing/ windshield adds a lot of comfort. I believe the same for my 230L or my WRR- for mileage it adds a lot of comfort.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 11:30 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
robl245
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/product...asin-saddlebag

With my setup I had a comfortable camp and 2 days or more food, two hours of backpack stove fuel, plus about 1 gallon water. When I need the range I use the Kolpin 1.5 gal on the front rack, which @ 73 MPG with the 2.3 gal tank+ 1.5 gal Kolpin gave a lot of range on the little dog 230L! I bought the Giant Loop Great Basin soft luggage because I did not want to add the weight of a rack. It works, but a pia to learn to pack until you develop a system. I strap a 40L waterproof bag on with the bulky light stuff eg my tent, sleeping bag, puffy coat. I and my family go overnight backpacking and on mountain bikes overnight thus have light stuff, but still it took a while to figure it out and a lot of time packing up. With the load on that little bike I rode singletrack and including the Naches Pass Jeep trail several times, which was a bit rough in places... and steep...But the small bike and tractor motor is easy- not fast, but unstoppable.

I will put the windshield on the WR250R to ride the CDR next year, and will use the Giant Loop Great Basin and my 40L bag.

In the 1970's I was an "adventure rider" before that term was well-known on a 2 stroke GT750 Suzuki- rode the AK Hwy, down to Baja, 44 states. On the GT750 I had a Hugon fairing, a clear plexiglas rounded thing with and extension. I learned that the fairing/ windshield adds a lot of comfort. I believe the same for my 230L or my WRR- for mileage it adds a lot of comfort.
I'm guessing you'll be liking that WR. That Giant Loop bag looks like the ticket. I'm leaning toward the Coyote model. It looks like it will hold what I need it to, plus other stuff can be strapped to the outside of it, like their dry bag, or a tent.

Plus, I may add the Wolfman tank bag for a little extra.

The windscreen looks good too, but since I need pretty much everything, I'll just have to tough it out in the wind.

Thanks for the info.
robl245 is offline   Reply With Quote