Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #31
Duas Rodas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
OK Brian, it seems your're looking for a few more details! See if I can help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Great report Chris, but I have a few more unwanted comments!

- Adams Lake morning shot looks very cold. Is that a mosquito in front of Vito's face??? The lake, according to Vlad the night before, is warm. So it is steam rising up. Oh, that's my breaky in front of my face...

- The North Fork FSR road only had 17km's of washouts. How bad could it possibly be? You guys are fags for not taking it! Well yeah...but...but...we did have the two KLRs along. Not enough manpower to push the pigs through!!!

- You certainly picked an appropriately named spot for dinner in Revelstoke! They renamed it when we arrived. It became the "Visiting Idiots"

- When you left Revelstoke in the morning, why did you wait behind all the other traffic at the bridge construction?
Motorcycles always go to the front...............Fags!! You just don't get it, Brian!!! It's all part of the KLR riding strategy. We would NOT be able to get out of the way of the semis if we were up front! It was not down hill you know...how hell could we out run them? Oh...and the F800GS might just decide not to run! (sorrry for the lowblow Chris)

- When you were helping Clark Stucktruck to remove his wheel, did you forget that Chevy's right rear wheel is a left hand thread?? So, you're saying we should of used our left hands only? Would that work?

- I think Vlad needs a new pair of proctology gloves after repairing his flat tire! Hey...Vlad. What was you and Brian up to before I arrived. In second thought, I don't wana know.

- At Nicola Lake, why didn't you just tell the Ranger to FO and shoot him with bear spray?? Fags!! We did tell them off...after a few drinks. To bad they had left a couple of hour before!!!

Keep up the great report...............this looks like it was an epic ride!!

Cheers
Duas Rodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #32
Mad_Kaw
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great Report!

I have to agree...some fantastic backroads in and around Revelstoke. I was riding down that way at the same time in a group with 3 KLRs and 1 KTM. Did the Mable Lake forestry road...terrific high speed gravel. Tried to go North from Hwy 1 up to Seymore Arm, but eventually turned back at a nasty washout. Enjoyed an evening under the patio heater at the Village Idiot. I'll certainly be going back and have a few more must see destinations, thanks to your report!
Mad_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #33
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Ha ha some funny stuff in the comments. I like them.

Will wrap up the report this weekend. Sorry, slow and steady as she goes.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
cathulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #34
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I suffered a major bout of food poisoning - so the weekend was a bust. Feeling well this afternoon, so a bit more of the report. Nearly got her done.

Friday September 14

We awoke to a beautiful day that laid rest to the concerns of last night.

Lucky for us we found a spot clear of RVs, but they were never far away - as on the other side of the road. Packing up.

Back on the gravel. This was a nice stretch of road.

Where were we? The Maka-Murray Lake Forest Service Road...

Vlad at speed.

Brian stretching his legs.

Vito rolling it.

Then you get to this part - a deactivated section of road. This was no problem for us. The only deal was it was narrow.

Road is still in good shape here, but got to watch for the locals.

A video of the road... nah, turns out it is too bouncy. Looks like crap. I need a chest mount!

We kick out onto high speed gravel roads. Dry and dusty. Brian

Vlad

Vito

Dust everywhere and throws your bike around. Vito looks like he might bin it but holds on. I think Vlad was there waiting for the shot. I know would have been waiting there also. Gotta go where the action is.

A little video from the same spot. This guy was following me and I never even realized it. Not sure how long he was there. I got a bit of a wobble also.

Oops Vlad did it again. Evidence is in the sand. Sand - the nemesis! And this sand was hard to find... I am not sure how Vlad even found it?

Then we take the road to a campsite on Nahatlatch Lake... the dust on this road hung in the air like a fog. A never ending crap-fest of dust.

But the payoff was at the end - a fantastic campsite. Vito wondering if this is the spot?

Note to self: get a bigger tent?

Finally we have settled down. Vlad and I are in the lake somewhere but mercifully out of the picture... Water is coldest we have encountered but not unbearable for a swim.

Time to get the fire rolling.

Camera Wars! Brian is still working out how his camera works.

I am a bit like Howard Hughes. Gotta keep clean even though I already was in the lake for a clean-up!

Tomorrow is our last day on the road to home...

cathulu screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 05:41 PM
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #35
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
We are patiently waiting for the completion of this report.

WTF is happening??

Cheers
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #36
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK OK this happened on my last trip report. I just take too long doing them... next time someone else should do it. Anyways, I am an adult and sometimes I'd rather play my guitar. Suck it!

last day we awoke to a beautiful morning.

We were worried the ride out would be equally as dusty as the ride in, but with the cool night air the moisture must have settled back into the road and held the dust down. The ride out was good. We went out on this road and then Harrison East FSR.

This is the road...

There was a slide to navigate, this was worse earlier in the year according to Vito. slowly was improved.

A video of Vito passing the slide... easy peasy!

slide behind us... road pushing us home ahead.

My tires are toast...

A bridge crossing, the road follows the river downwards to empty into Lake Harrison.

And now we parallel Harrison Lake. Lots of camping along the lake the closer we get to the town of Harrison at the end of the lake. The closer we get, the more yahoos we find.

Going in for a beer and some lunch. A popular pub for riders coming up from Vancouver.

The group shot, Our last meal together.

The days mileage.

And that's all folks. Kind of anti-climatic at the end. We dribble our way home, each of us leaving the highway at our exit. We waive goodbye, and sometimes not even that. The end. Till next time... when spirits rejuvenated, we take on a new challenge.

cathulu screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 07:54 PM Reason: to make it better?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #37
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, I am done now.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #38
Backcountryboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Great report. Loved all the new backroads to try next summer.

2013 KLR 650
2012 BMW R1200RT
Backcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #39
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Great report Chris........what do you have planned for next year??? My bike is getting closer to being completed once again!

Cold beer is in the shop fridge for you and Vito!!

Cheers
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #40
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Awesome ride are you adding the trip to the TCAT or is is avalible somewhere else?

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #41
Duas Rodas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Great job Chris...and thanks for the hard work you put into making these reports.

For next September, I would like to do another week of this " Southern BC" ride, In essence, the second part of this ride, which is the Kootenays. (For those that didn't noticed, we only rode about half of the original planned route. We ride so slow that it would take two weeks to complete the full trip as planned).
So, I guess we're leaving the best for last... You wanna come along Brian?

September is a long way off though...so, in July, I think another full week can be put to good use on doing the WABDR. Who wants to come along?

Hey Brian...how about taking you up on the beer offer when the motorcycle show is on at the Tradex. On the way back we could make a pit stop
Duas Rodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #42
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

I'd love to do any trips you guys put together............as long as Chris does not pass me while laughing, if I crash my bike, like he did at PIR!

The shop fridge is always stocked with beer, so after the bike show could be a good time to get together...........or put something together sooner.
We could maybe do a tire change day ?? I have a nice machine for that..............you guys bring the beer!

Cheers
Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #43
cathulu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool. Looking forward to beers at the bike show and riding all together next year!

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #44
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,229
nice photos
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote