User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Channey OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Amsterdam to Melbourne 2014 - through Nth Africa, Middle East and SE Asia

Having completed my trip from Vladivostok to Amsterdam this year on my BMW F800GS, I am planning for my return trip in 2014 through North Africa, the Middle East, and South East Asia. My route is:

Morocco
Algeria
Tunisia
Libya
Eqypt, (Israel, and Jordon if possible)
Saudi Arabia
UAE
Pakistan
India
Nepal
Thailand
Laos ( Burma if possible)
Vietnam
Cambodia
Malaysia
Singapore
Indonesia
Australia

I believe that the border between Morocco and Algeria is currently closed, but hopefully it will be open by 2014!

I would like to hear from anyone who have done a similar trip (or any part of the trip) on a motorcycle. Is there any other border crossing issues, tips, problems, etc.
Channey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,594
I hope I'm wrong but once you have travel stamps from any of the Muslim/Arab countries you won't be allowed to enter Israel...

...or, and congrats on your first post ever!

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channey View Post
... I believe that the border between Morocco and Algeria is currently closed, but hopefully it will be open by 2014!..
Isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #4
Channey OP
n00b

Yes, I agree that Israel and Burma is unlikely to be possible at this stage. I thought the problem with Israel is the other way round. Once you have an Israel stamp on your passport, the Arab countries will not let you in. I have backpacked from Morocco to Israel some twenty years ago, and I crossed the land border from Egypt to Israel without any problem.

I wonder if anyone has travelled across the Middle East to Pakistan / India by motorcycle? I beleive that there is a vehicle ferriy service between UAE to Pakistan.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
Yes, Once you have an Israel stamp on your passport, the Arab countries will not let you in..
Certainly the case for countries like Iran but the moderate ones are okay with Israeli stamps. I've been to Oman, Dubai, Jordan, Morocco, and Egypt after visiting Israel. Of course, it may depend on your citizenship.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
I wonder if anyone has travelled across the Middle East to Pakistan / India by motorcycle? I beleive that there is a vehicle ferriy service between UAE to Pakistan.
Where do you get the info about this ferry? I doubt such service exists. Generally these days there are very few international ferry lines operating anywhere outside Europe & Mediterranean Sea. But there are plenty of people from India working in the Gulf region, so maybe if a ferry service were to be opened, it would actually go from UAE to India? (Between Oman & India there was a ferry for a short time about a decade ago).

Some charter boat (dhow) options may exist, but probably quite hard to get any solid info, until you are there.

I did Europe>India>Oz on a bike five years ago.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Channey OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Where do you get the info about this ferry? I doubt such service exists. Generally these days there are very few international ferry lines operating anywhere outside Europe & Mediterranean Sea. But there are plenty of people from India working in the Gulf region, so maybe if a ferry service were to be opened, it would actually go from UAE to India? (Between Oman & India there was a ferry for a short time about a decade ago).
you are right. I will have to travel via Iran to Pakistan then, as there is a ferry service between Dubai and Iran. Israel is off limit then.

There is also a ferry service between Egypt and Saudi Arabia. So it appears that the whole route is possible!!!! Hopefully the region will become more stable in 2014.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
you are right. I will have to travel via Iran to Pakistan then, as there is a ferry service between Dubai and Iran. Israel is off limit then.

There is also a ferry service between Egypt and Saudi Arabia. So it appears that the whole route is possible!!!! Hopefully the region will become more stable in 2014.
You will find more updated information over here. There is a ferry service between Sharjah and Bandar-Abbas in Iran. Doubt if the ferry between Jeddah-Egypt is operating/taking motorcycles anymore. There is a ferry service between Duba and Sharm al-Sheikh in Egypt.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
dragonseeker
dragonseeker

Oddometer: 12
Thailand to Burma (Myanmar)

Still not possible. I am in living in Thailand and am keeping an eye on developments. There was a recent car rally from Ho Chi Minh City to Kolkata (!) so it is a possibility. The route is there, it's just a matter of time before it all opens up.
dragonseeker is offline   Reply With Quote