Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #2011
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 797
So what pipes work best with the new VFR1200?

My buddy's just bought one and is looking.

Thanks

Hosebag screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 06:26 AM
Hosebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #2012
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
There's a VFR1200?

dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #2013
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
There's a VFR1200?

yep, this is what they look like,

Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #2014
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
yep, this is what they look like,
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #2015
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,227
Hey dudes;
I bought my new to me 2002 VFR800/ABS from my uncle's estate a month ago. He lived in Vermont and passed suddenly (and young) in April of 2011. I want to ride the bike in his memory and keep it as nice as he's kept it. I have a feeling he was a member on this site or at least friends with members of this site, so if you knew him, or think you knew him based on the limited facts I've given, shoot me a PM... it would be cool to learn more about him, he was a great guy and very well known throughout the state.

Anyways, the bike has been in my heated basement for the last 2 weeks. Prior to this, I had ridden the bike roughly 15 miles just to get a feel for it, with no issues to speak of, and the bike ran flawlessly... love that VTEC! Now, the bike suddenly has the high temp warning light and '270' flashing on the display indicating a high engine temperature. It does this as soon as I start up the bike, when I know it's cold, so I'm guessing it's a bad sensor. Is this a common problem? Is this easy to change myself? I'm sorry for the noob question, I'm just trying to see if it's worth taking it to the shop and having Honda do it. All the beautiful red plastic makes me think twice about tearing into it.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #2016
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Hey dudes;
I bought my new to me 2002 VFR800/ABS from my uncle's estate a month ago. He lived in Vermont and passed suddenly (and young) in April of 2011. I want to ride the bike in his memory and keep it as nice as he's kept it. I have a feeling he was a member on this site or at least friends with members of this site, so if you knew him, or think you knew him based on the limited facts I've given, shoot me a PM... it would be cool to learn more about him, he was a great guy and very well known throughout the state.

Anyways, the bike has been in my heated basement for the last 2 weeks. Prior to this, I had ridden the bike roughly 15 miles just to get a feel for it, with no issues to speak of, and the bike ran flawlessly... love that VTEC! Now, the bike suddenly has the high temp warning light and '270' flashing on the display indicating a high engine temperature. It does this as soon as I start up the bike, when I know it's cold, so I'm guessing it's a bad sensor. Is this a common problem? Is this easy to change myself? I'm sorry for the noob question, I'm just trying to see if it's worth taking it to the shop and having Honda do it. All the beautiful red plastic makes me think twice about tearing into it.
I've never encountered such an issue with either my current or previous VFR.

I suggest you get a service manual, preferably from Honda, and do some research.

Also, head over to vfrdiscussion.com for their wealth of knowledge.
viajero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #2017
ninepeaks9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Hey dudes;

I can think of two things:

Check the coolant level.

Check to see if the cooling fan comes on when the temp is that high.

ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #2018
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Sounds good, thank you. I do have the factory service manual, I'm just thinking I might keep the battery on a tender and wait until spring when I can put it in the shop for a full tuneup. It was supposedly gone through by a big shop up North; as it sat on consignment for a long time, but with this temp issue I'm thinking maybe not so much. I'll check the coolant level, and will just keep from running it until I have this figured out. Thanks.

Edit: I can't hear the cooling fan come on, which also leads me to believe it's a faulty sensor.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #2019
ninepeaks9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Sounds good, thank you. I do have the factory service manual, I'm just thinking I might keep the battery on a tender and wait until spring when I can put it in the shop for a full tuneup. It was supposedly gone through by a big shop up North; as it sat on consignment for a long time, but with this temp issue I'm thinking maybe not so much. I'll check the coolant level, and will just keep from running it until I have this figured out. Thanks.

Edit: I can't hear the cooling fan come on, which also leads me to believe it's a faulty sensor.
I remember reading that 2002 models had issues with cooling fans.

ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #2020
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
My fan did not work on my 99. Turns out it was unplugged after a dealer visit. PITA to take off the fairing but...............simple fix.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #2021
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

I'll check that. I forgot to add that the temp light comes on even before I sart the engine, and stays on... so I know the bike isn't hot. I'll look into it a bit and let you guys know. Unless the fairing is that big of a PITA, then I'll just drink beer and stare at the sexy beast for the next 4 months.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #2022
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
I'll check that. I forgot to add that the temp light comes on even before I sart the engine, and stays on... so I know the bike isn't hot. I'll look into it a bit and let you guys know. Unless the fairing is that big of a PITA, then I'll just drink beer and stare at the sexy beast for the next 4 months.
Change the anitifreeze/oil while the fairings are off (if it has been a while) besides checking the fan hookup.

BTW VFRD has a maintenace manual pdf which you can download.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #2023
leadthrower21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Has anyone else had a problem adding the Givi PL257 side racks to a FZ257 top rack on a 98-01? When I go to mount mine up, they're very difficult to get into position (almost have to bend 'em) and when mounted completely, they point 20 degrees away from the center. Between this and the 2 month old rusting hardware on my top rack, I'm about ready to sell it all and go as lightweight as possible.
leadthrower21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #2024
smack doogle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Christmas Upgrades

Love my VFR but it was past time to upgrade the suspension and brakes.

I went through Jamie Daugherty Motorsports for a custom rear shock and settled on a 2005 Yamaha R1 front end w/ brakes.

I put on the rear shock New Years Day. Only took about 2 hours. Pretty straight forward.

The front end I started on Thursday and finished Friday around 1pm. Only took about 7 hours start to finish. I'm sure it could have been done much faster but I took my time and double and triple checked stuff.

All in all, definitely money well spent. The brakes are incredible and the ride is completely changed for the better. I went for a 40 mile ride today after I finished installing everything. I didn't push it hard through the twisty bits since the temps are in the 40's and the front tire is brand new. I did ride it though and it rode well, held it's line and flicked effortlessly. I couldn't be more happy with it. Only negative is the turning radius. 10 pt. turns will be necassary if I need to turn around on a narrow road.

Here's the pics to prove it happened.

smack doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #2025
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,774

NICE! May I ask how much the JD rear shock set you back? I desperately need to give my '95 some suspension attention and the rear shock is a real problem on these things when it wears out. It rides like a dump truck.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote