User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #16
asphaltmueller OP
nomad acc. § 2(3)AVV

Oddometer: 1,003

so we where at 'home' - the house my parents built when Mom had at least forced Dad to give up his nomad ways, changing work and moving about every 3 years - which in the 70s, with the economy booming, was much easier than now a days.

The camper is my brothers, who had moved back to the parents due to his divorce going on and now was thrown out, as it was 'my' room in the basement he was occupying, 'his' room being used as Mom's store now.

Dad in the old days; maybe genetics do come through somehow; that's a Horex Regina 400, BTW, one of the hotter bikes in the 50s round here.

Birol's chain cover had broken, which meant the speddo wouldn't work anymore, as the gear was no longer held together, and, worse, grease was leaking on the tyre.
Those former east block bikes usually have closed chains, running in grease, which gives them a life expectancy of easily 50.000 kms. And the wheels are mounted in a way you can dismount them without touching chain and sprocket - those engineers had to ride the bikes themselves and knew what they were doing within their means.

We then had a look at my brothers garage; 4 bikes, none running

In the background the Honda Dominator I gave him when I moved to Turkey 3 years ago - hardly run in with a good 20.000 kms .

the XT 600 that he had used on our Balkan tour and the Kawa he had used on our Baltic trip (you could find the links in my profile)

sad

that' Dad's 'Ranch', a barn he rented from the Forest Service and where he keeps some of the firewood and the tractors and farm vehicles he collects now

Well; Birol had seen that the smoke coming out of my left exhaust had diminished. We checked the spark plugs and the left one was burned out.
The Jawa is extremely sensitive to correct spark plugs, and it was already impossible to get 'cold' ones (= hot weather types) in Ankara.

some absolutely respectable old time bike dealer had sold Birol those nice red chinese plugs, saying they were right for the Jawa - I think you realize where we are heading now.

But before I head to a school function and then a birthday party (of the guy with the Volvo some posts before) - and so it will be tomorrow until we come to this -

we follow Birol to a little excursion to a private BMW museum about 30 kms from my village. Dad had told him about and Birol wanted to scout out the area anyway, while I was lazy and wanted to spend some time with the family

this is the guy owning all those bikes;some of them the BMW - Museum in Munich doesn' t have. he made his fortune with poultry feed
He was very nice to Birol and showed him some things usually not presented to the public

like this Airhead-Harley already shown

what is Birol doing here ? More tomorrow

asphaltmueller is offline   Reply With Quote