User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
sarelp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Which year GSA should I buy?

I'm looking to buy either a new or slightly used GSA. I just need some opinions what are the differences between the years from 08 to current. Also like to know what kind of issues there was? I currently have a 2001 GS, not for sale btw. Would it be a good idea to get an 09 without ESA? I also do all the wrenching myself so that part is not an issue. Thanks
Old 11-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,542
Guess I get to say it first. Get the newest you can afford, but they're all good in the years mentioned...and I'd get a camhead without ESA
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
sarelp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

By cam head you mean 2010 and newer?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
PM sent.
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
aGremlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I'd get 2010+, get a bit more power etc. Then again, if you read about the fuel strips, that's been changed, so maybe 2011+ (I think they changed back to floats mid 2010 or something)...

Depends what you really want. I've got a fully optioned 2010 GSA, so ESA, RDC, ASC etc. Not everyone wants all of that.

Re issues... 9 may be perfect, 1 may have some issues... depends which owner you are
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,027
2010 or earlier
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
sarelp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
2010 or earlier
Do you think it's better or not?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
mudmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
2010 and up IMHO ,I've got 010 anniversary model with ESA and love it no faults at all best all round bike I've ever owned and I've had a few.
mudmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #9
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
As has been said, definitely get a 2011 or newer, if funds permit
Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
tom28734
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Newer may be better, but if money matters, old is good.

I've had Beemers for over 20 years, and bought an '05 with 8k miles last spring. It is a super bike. After reading around this forum for many hours, I see little difference for everyday use in the later models. If your ego isn't tied up in the age of the motorcycle, there are plenty of clean, low mileage early models available. (They all have PLENTY of power.) Wait until winter and shop eBay carefully, it's worth the trouble. You can even end up with a bike worth more than you paid for it.
tom28734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom28734 View Post
I've had Beemers for over 20 years, and bought an '05 with 8k miles last spring. It is a super bike. After reading around this forum for many hours, I see little difference for everyday use in the later models. If your ego isn't tied up in the age of the motorcycle, there are plenty of clean, low mileage early models available. (They all have PLENTY of power.) Wait until winter and shop eBay carefully, it's worth the trouble. You can even end up with a bike worth more than you paid for it.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom28734 View Post
While I generally agree with the sentiment, "PLENTY of power" is highly subjective. I would love to trade my '07 for one of the overhead cam models for the extra midrange power! Just not convinced I'm willing to take the hit on a new one, and used ones are not that plentiful, yet.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 383
I agree. Timing is everything. I scored practically new (643 miles) 2012 Triple black GSA with bags and some farkles. All for under 20$ big ones.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,184
08 had some good updates. Tranny changes, steering head changes, a bit more hp than the 2007. I consider 08 and 09 the best of the breed. I'm not a fan of the camhead (too much stuff crammed into that head, and I like threaded adjusters, and it has that goofy flapper exhaust valve), or esa (I'd rather get fully adjustable aftermarket decent shocks). OTOH, I'm not a fan of the GSA (too damn big/heavy), and would get the regular GS 08 or 09.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
tlwood99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
My two cents: Never buy new. I own an 09 and had a little experience with a 10. The improvements of the newer motor were lost on me and the 10 is little loud going in and out of campgrounds late at night and early in the morning. I see the differences between the 08-12 to be very slight.

If I were spending money I would look for the best price on a low mileage well cared for bike 08 or newer (and I too like the GS over the GSA). If that bike doesn't satisfy (which would shock me) you will be in a better position in a couple of years to get one of the new wetheads which I expect will be a game changer.

Buying used I wouldn't let ESA affect my decision one way or the other. I am replacing mine with non-ESA Ohlins.
tlwood99 is offline   Reply With Quote