ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #16
crackhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Thanks man. I think I am going to be in your camp. The challenge (or percieved challenge) of making a useable, working load for a next to obselete (due to ammo availability) but fully functional weapon seems to have an appeal to me.

I did the high volume thing for a while with shotshells. The cost was a touch cheaper than I could have bought generic shells for (I was using quality components), but the performance was outstanding and spot on everytime. I realized i was "into" the sport when I unknowingly stacked a row of factory loads in my reload box and dropped it in my shooting vest. I could tell that there was a 200-250fps difference in the shot speed and could mentally correct for it. I kind of scared myself, but it was cool at the same time.

Thanks for the offer, Im sure Ill be hitting you up.
crackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #17
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 457
I have a little experience in this area.

Re neck-resizing to save your cases from premature death, you can use standard dies. Just unscrew the resizing die and screw it back in only enough to touch the upper half of the case neck. You may want to use a candle to put some soot on a test cartridge case or two to ensure you are not touching the shoulder or the base of the cartridge case itself when the press ram is as far up as it can travel. Another hint: take out the expander button. This will often stretch case necks, and cases, when the ram is withdrawn. Use a few empty cases with just a bullet to make up some test rounds... you can use a bullet puller to try again, and you'll know you have it right when the test cartridge will chamber and eject. BTW you can use the soot trick to ensure the bullet is seated as far out as it can without touching the lands... you want a little bit of a gap, at least 0.010"... and you also want it to feed through the magazine.

Of course, you might want to use a runout gauge on a fired case to see if your Carcano's chamber is concentric. Some of the Axis WWII rifles, especially those made later in the conflict, or rebarrelled later on, have quality control issues... and as long as the gun went BANG and could hit a dinner plate at 100 yards, it was good enough.

Be mindful about case stretching and resultant high pressures... you should check for max case length and trim cases accordingly. Military chambers are notorious for sloppiness because absolute reliability was more important than absolute accuracy and cartridge case life. Also, if you get three or four firings out of a cartridge case in a military surplus rifle, that's enough to have reduced the cost of the case to way less than the bullet on a per-shot basis. There's a lot of pressure in a centerfire rifle cartridge once that trigger has been pulled, and that case is the only thing it and your face.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #18
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 695
I have a bastard rifle that's big fun to shoot. Can't get ammo. I need .375 winchester for a tube feed magazine.
please pm me if you can help.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
http://www.cabelas.com/rifle-ammunit...-point-1.shtml

Cabela's has it in stock. Barnes makes bullets, I'll bet other manufacturers do too. I'd look for a set of dies, and keep an eye on the Old Western Scrounger website. Loading your own is the best bet. PM me if you need more reloading help, I've been doing it since the mid 70s.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,382
There's a good size reloading thread in Shiney Things. Not very busy, but reloaders keep an eye out for it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=reloading
Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #21
2whljunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
I have a bastard rifle that's big fun to shoot. Can't get ammo. I need .375 winchester for a tube feed magazine.
please pm me if you can help.
I got one of these too... as much fun as it is too shoot, think my 444 is funner. Anyways, I have been lookin for ammo too, and found two boxes of winchester ammo at sportsman whse. May see if there is one near you. It's pricey though...50.00/box
2whljunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #22
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Reloading Odd ball ammo

Check Midway reloading supplies on the web. They have lots of old, odd dies etc. Cast bullets will work just fine and you could even get a custom mold made in the correct size. Check your local gun shows for used dies. I was lucky and found some used dies in 7.62 Sharp and Hart Mag. They weren't cheap.
My friend casts very hard bullets and quenches them for more hardness and lube/sizes them with the orange bullet lube before loading and shooting in his 300 Win Mag. We were shooting gallon milk jugs filled with water at LONG distances with great success. No leading in his barrel.

I've got more than 30 die sets and most were used from garage sales, friends and gun shows. Just be sure to look inside for scratches and rust.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #23
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Check Midway reloading supplies on the web.
Here, already did it for him: Click on the link. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newca...ensionid=11991

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote