Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #61
Lakerider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Just caught up today Tony. Sorry you came home to that. Somewhere in there, through this trip and what you have come home to, is positive. I just have this feeling after reading your awesome report that the Ateam is going to be just fine. You began one adventure with JoJo and now she is a part of you, just like your recent experience, including the coming home part, all is a part of who you are and you are alright. Cheers brother!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #62
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
I read this some time ago. How about bankruptcy of both?
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

A QUOTE FROM STERLING HAYDEN'S BOOK, WANDERER

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone. What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it.

But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #63
onto1wheel
n00b

Oddometer: 8
jeeeez ateam, I'll bet when you started this journey you had no idea it would have so many twists and turns.
Thanks for sharing them with us, sure made for a very interesting read for those of us sitting at home!
The ending sent a true shiver up my spine
Sorry things didn't turn out so good, but I hope the rest of your voyage improves!
Doug
onto1wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #64
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,834
May I comment about Sterling Hayden?
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #65
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Bloody hell Ateam I wasn't expecting that

It's often said women are like tornados when they come its wet and exciting and as they leave they take the house and the car with them

Chin up mate you and JoJo can prep for some bigger adventures now
Stay safe

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #66
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
May I comment about Sterling Hayden?

Absolutely you may, please.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #67
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,834
Well I didn't want to stink up your thread without asking.

I read his book earlier this year, based on a comment someone here made about him.

I admired his pluck as a boy; shipping out in those days was in no way easy. By the end of the book I loathed him.

In spite of all his lofty talk about freedom and independence he turned out to be a total failure. Defied the courts, defrauded his creditors, kidnapped his children and hauled them off to Tahiti where he proceeded to abandon them and lay up drunk pretending to write. Became a communist but when the heat got to be too much he really didn't have the strength of his convictions and ratted out his comrades. I only finished the book because I kept waiting for him to have some epiphany and become the person he supposedly aspired to be.

Anyway, I know you're in a tough spot and it rubbed me wrong a little to see you (perhaps) using him as an example. Probably doesn't mean anything.

I enjoyed your report; you need to stop selling yourself short, you have a lot to offer.

Good luck!
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #68
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
Well I didn't want to stink up your thread without asking.

I read his book earlier this year, based on a comment someone here made about him.

I admired his pluck as a boy; shipping out in those days was in no way easy. By the end of the book I loathed him.

In spite of all his lofty talk about freedom and independence he turned out to be a total failure. Defied the courts, defrauded his creditors, kidnapped his children and hauled them off to Tahiti where he proceeded to abandon them and lay up drunk pretending to write. Became a communist but when the heat got to be too much he really didn't have the strength of his convictions and ratted out his comrades. I only finished the book because I kept waiting for him to have some epiphany and become the person he supposedly aspired to be.

Anyway, I know you're in a tough spot and it rubbed me wrong a little to see you (perhaps) using him as an example. Probably doesn't mean anything.

I enjoyed your report; you need to stop selling yourself short, you have a lot to offer.

Good luck!
He loves to preach but as Charlie Daniels said, the preacher liked to do a little walking too. He makes a few good points, the quote though rings a hollow truth. Kind of like Ed Abbey, he was awesome but such a limousine liberal.

I call a spade a spade. I have nothing to offer. As my present day wife has reminded me more than once, the life insurance policy pays off for suicide. Nothing like being worth more dead than alive.

Thanks for the kind comments. My ride report was pathetic but at least real. I can't bear to read it again.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #69
FishTaco
urban misfit

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
As my present day wife has reminded me more than once, the life insurance policy pays off for suicide. Nothing like being worth more dead than alive.
Well then, keep on living, and live well just to piss her off. That'll show her.

And keep smiling. It gets better.
FishTaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #70
AteamNM OP
Wonna Be ADVrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by onto1wheel View Post
jeeeez ateam, I'll bet when you started this journey you had no idea it would have so many twists and turns.
Thanks for sharing them with us, sure made for a very interesting read for those of us sitting at home!
The ending sent a true shiver up my spine
Sorry things didn't turn out so good, but I hope the rest of your voyage improves!
Doug
Hey Doug, thanks for the comment. The next month or two will be a test. Sell off a bunch of motorcycles and bicycles, put the house on the market and go find a nice bridge to live under . We will give it a whirl.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #71
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
AteamNM...WOW had no idea what you went through man. Very sorry to hear about coming home to an empty house. Can't even imagine what that would be like.

At any rate I wish you the very best going forward and if you ever pass through Arkansas again please contact me. Thanks for stopping in on my route 66 ride report too.

All the best
10Cup
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #72
Polaris01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thumb

Quote:
Day 21
Sunday - November 11, 2012 7:00 PM
Epilogue

Matt leaves in his car, my beautiful Australian Shepard is glad I’m here. But she is a bit weird. Something is not right but nothing clicks. I was anticipating my wife to be there, she sent some coffee with Matt. Then I realize that the motorhome is gone and our enclosed motorcycle trailer is also gone. That is weird. I finally decided to walk in the house. I turn on the lights. The house is different. The house is empty.

My wife has left me. Oh wow. My head feels light, I reach for balance on the hall way wall. I walk into the kitchen. I believe if I were hit across the head with a baseball bat right then I would not have felt it. I’m not sure I would now.

I go back into the garage. My dog looks like she is about to cry. I walk over to Jo Jo.

Hey girl. it’s been a hell of a ride. So far and yet so close. But you know what Jo Jo, you did good girl. A mineralogy professor once told me; do not be discouraged, you flunk but you flunk high.

Thanks for riding alone with me. Thanks to LakeRider in Virginia, large thank you to Curtis and as always, my wing man, my brother Ray and Chris Beck at ttp://www.fastbeck’s.com/. I never read where people say thank you to ADVrider.com. This forum has been an incredible resource, only made possible by incredible people like you.

Jo Jo made it 3,013 miles. 21 days of riding from Virginia to New Mexico. Three years of riding experience in 21 days. When I grow up, I wonna be an Adventure Rider.
Tony..
Been there, had that done to me and you have to know that it gets much better.
I've really enjoyed your report, you manned up and did the trip flat tires notwithstanding.
Just like life, the journey is the adventure.
I'm presuming that with your perseverance things will turn out for the best, as they have for me.
Good on ya and all the best.
Polaris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #73
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Sell off a bunch of motorcycles and bicycles, put the house on the market and go find a nice bridge to live under .
Take it slow and on your terms. You didn't leave.

Rockcat screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 04:57 PM
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #74
Polaris01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
Well then, keep on living, and live well just to piss her off. That'll show her.

And keep smiling. It gets better.
Yea and the best back-at-ya to a spouse that leaves is meeting and marrying a beautiful woman 10 years younger than your ex who really appreciates you and LOVES SEX A LOT
Trust me it can happen, you have untold opportunities now.
Take some time and spoil yourself.
Buy a treat for Jo Jo
Polaris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #75
onto1wheel
n00b

Oddometer: 8
What you need now is a ROADTRIP, Tony!
Come on out to the west coast, dinner's on me.
(we can find some KLR adventures/mototrial adventures/Biketrial adventures to do while you're here)
onto1wheel is offline   Reply With Quote