Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #15346
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Translation for the middle-aged and older crowd (including me):

Lekker is a commonly used word in the Dutch language that is more similar to the word English word luscious than the word tasty. Lekker is used to denote something delicious or sweet, and is more commonly used by the under 30 crowd as a term for a woman having sex appeal. Lekker, like luscious, has a sexual connotation. In South Africa, however, lekker has primarily been used in place of the English terms "cool" or "sweet," with a much more broad, less sexual, undertone.

Nice, Ben!
Always love to know more and more shades of every different language from spanish (and I love English). Thanks for the lekker (cool) lecture!

(48 years old would still be middle-aged....? certainly I'm not under 30 anymore )
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #15347
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Translation for the middle-aged and older crowd (including me):

Lekker is a commonly used word in the Dutch language that is more similar to the word English word luscious than the word tasty. Lekker is used to denote something delicious or sweet, and is more commonly used by the under 30 crowd as a term for a woman having sex appeal. Lekker, like luscious, has a sexual connotation. In South Africa, however, lekker has primarily been used in place of the English terms "cool" or "sweet," with a much more broad, less sexual, undertone.

Nice, Ben!

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #15348
liferider
Never It's enough

HELP: 990ADV S 2007 - Does not start

Hi, mates.
I still could not post pics of my bike to introduce her and myself as I should, and I already having a problem with her...
I have ride it just 30kms or so during the month I owned it, but I started her once or twice a week anyway just to see how is the battery doing and of course to feel more close to her...

Today I was going to finaly go for a ride, the engine cranks but she doesn't start.

I would describe the situation as follows (obviousness is due strictly to myself, not to you guys!):
Step 1- Turn ignition key ON
Step 2- Begins the start cycle and wait to be completed (clock needle up and down, and lights on and off),
Step 3- Press the starter button
Step 4- Two revs of the engine, and
Step 5- All starts from Step 2 ...! (note 'not from step 1', I don't touch the key)

Notes and taken actions:
- Battery always sounded ok, even today.
- Rare detail: if I keep pressing the starter button, the bike keeps cycling from Step 2 to Step 5.
- No error codes on the screen
- the only thing I have done before this problem is dismounted the fairing/headlamp and cockpit, to figure out how to connect my GPS. Anyway, she started ok after that, 4 days ago
- All fuses checked and are ok [ Main Fuse (I know doesn't match the behaviour but...) and all the fuses between the tanks (yeah, I know, "all the fuses? what for???" ) ]
- Read all the Trouble Shooting Section of the Owner's Manual, and I couldn't find anything new to check/test.
- The intent before the last intent, the LCD pannel kept off (lights on) and no Step 2 was undertook. I switched the ignition key OFF, pulled the key out, put the key in, ignition key ON, and now behaves again like I am reporting in this help request post.

It's a fact that the bike is totally new to me... I declare myself a total idiotic about her.

Anybody has a clue of what can be going on....?
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #15349
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,128
Dutch : Lekker
Danish: Lækker
Old 12-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #15350
KN76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
My 950
KN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #15351
SlowJoefromBako
Aint livin long like

Oddometer: 41
Roll chart

SlowJoefromBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #15352
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Always love to know more and more shades of every different language from spanish (and I love English). Thanks for the lekker (cool) lecture!

(48 years old would still be middle-aged....? certainly I'm not under 30 anymore )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post

I got to use "lekker" today!!

At the end of a production of The Nutcracker my wife helped produce, I ran into a friend from South Africa. I worked 'lekker' into a sentence while speaking with him.... you should've seen the look on his face!!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #15353
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Hi, mates.
I still could not post pics of my bike to introduce her and myself as I should, and I already having a problem with her...
I have ride it just 30kms or so during the month I owned it, but I started her once or twice a week anyway just to see how is the battery doing and of course to feel more close to her...

Today I was going to finaly go for a ride, the engine cranks but she doesn't start.

I would describe the situation as follows (obviousness is due strictly to myself, not to you guys!):
Step 1- Turn ignition key ON
Step 2- Begins the start cycle and wait to be completed (clock needle up and down, and lights on and off),
Step 3- Press the starter button
Step 4- Two revs of the engine, and
Step 5- All starts from Step 2 ...! (note 'not from step 1', I don't touch the key)

Notes and taken actions:
- Battery always sounded ok, even today.
- Rare detail: if I keep pressing the starter button, the bike keeps cycling from Step 2 to Step 5.
- No error codes on the screen
- the only thing I have done before this problem is dismounted the fairing/headlamp and cockpit, to figure out how to connect my GPS. Anyway, she started ok after that, 4 days ago
- All fuses checked and are ok [ Main Fuse (I know doesn't match the behaviour but...) and all the fuses between the tanks (yeah, I know, "all the fuses? what for???" ) ]
- Read all the Trouble Shooting Section of the Owner's Manual, and I couldn't find anything new to check/test.
- The intent before the last intent, the LCD pannel kept off (lights on) and no Step 2 was undertook. I switched the ignition key OFF, pulled the key out, put the key in, ignition key ON, and now behaves again like I am reporting in this help request post.

It's a fact that the bike is totally new to me... I declare myself a total idiotic about her.

Anybody has a clue of what can be going on....?
Thanks in advance!
You killed it with the kill switch or bumped it and forgot to turn it back on. This would be my guess, i have done it before....

French vacation house for rent! Great riding area!

450 KTM exc
950 Adventure S
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #15354
KN76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Reload or change the battery.
KN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #15355
liferider
Never It's enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
You killed it with the kill switch or bumped it and forgot to turn it back on. This would be my guess, i have done it before....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KN76 View Post
Reload or change the battery.

Gagnaou, KN76, thanks for your responses.

The Kill Switch is on, never use it since it's an emergency option (of course It happened my kids or myself have turned it off accidentaly, but now it's not the case.... unfortunately ).

About the battery, I thought that could be the problem, but against this I can see all the wrong response of the bike is identical everytime I try to start it (I think it should be more caotic in that case?), and the lights are ok, and the pair of revs of the engine at each intent sounds always the same and with same healthy strengh.
I had check the batt cables adjustment and it's ok.
May be I should get a borrowed battery to test it with the bike, problem is I don't have any 99x owner near home. Should any 12V battery do the job just for a start testing? I only know about the Ampers difference, but don't know if it's ok to use the one of my pickup for instance.

Cheers!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #15356
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
It sounds like the battery. You don't have enough of a charge to start the bike. You hit the starter, the battery draws down and the computer resets. Recharge, jump or bump start work?
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #15357
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,824
Seems like an age ago since we were playing in the desert

DeeGee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #15358
liferider
Never It's enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
It sounds like the battery. You don't have enough of a charge to start the bike. You hit the starter, the battery draws down and the computer resets. Recharge, jump or bump start work?
Ian408, it would be great news if the battery's causing this, I'm really affraid to have just bought a bike with a hughe and expensive electronic problem

It would be great also to know if I can test start the bike with any 12V batt (anybody knows this?) or I will have to wait to find another 99x owner to use his battery. There's no Yuasa battery sellers in Patagonia so I can't buy one to change it an see what happens. And during week end, I can't reach any battery shop in order to test the battery itself.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #15359
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Gagnaou, KN76, thanks for your responses.

The Kill Switch is on, never use it since it's an emergency option (of course It happened my kids or myself have turned it off accidentaly, but now it's not the case.... unfortunately ).

About the battery, I thought that could be the problem, but against this I can see all the wrong response of the bike is identical everytime I try to start it (I think it should be more caotic in that case?), and the lights are ok, and the pair of revs of the engine at each intent sounds always the same and with same healthy strengh.
I had check the batt cables adjustment and it's ok.
May be I should get a borrowed battery to test it with the bike, problem is I don't have any 99x owner near home. Should any 12V battery do the job just for a start testing? I only know about the Ampers difference, but don't know if it's ok to use the one of my pickup for instance.

Cheers!
It's the battery, change it.
Problem solved.
Been there done that.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #15360
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
It's the battery, change it.
Problem solved.
Been there done that.
...and next time, start a separate thread. You'll get better responses that way.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote