Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
sprouty115 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Advice on an RD 250 build

Hi All,
I need some help - about a two months ago I went looking for a first bike for my son. I found a clean '76 RD 250 with 6K miles. The story sounded good - 100% original with low miles, a clean title, and in running condition for $1,600. So I checked it out, and everything seemed perfect: It was super clean: no rust in the tank, rims were perfect, lights, gauges and signals worked, new fork seals, it even started on the second kick. I drove it around for a bit and it sounded and handled fine. We settled on $1,400 and I figured I had a keeper.

My plan was to go through it over the winter and then give it to him as a present in the spring. So I started poking around and the first thing I did was compression test. Found both cylinders around 120. Based on what I read here that sounded slightly low so I figured I'd let a local shop go over the entire bike and at least than I'd have an idea where to focus my attention.

They confirmed the compression readings, then pulled the exhaust to see if there was any scoring on the pistons (there was a little) so they started looking deeper. Got a call today: broken stator, bent crank, etc. They said they could do the work but it's essentially a full rebuild and probably close to $2K.

So my question to you guys who've been down this road: is it worth it? Does that price seem reasonable? Are there any other options?

A bit more info: I'm pretty set on having an early RD for him (it was my first road bike and I have a real soft spot for them) also I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I'm just a bit busy, so depending on how difficult this rebuild is maybe I could do it myself? Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated and don't hold back, I can take it...

Thanks,
Stephen
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote