Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #1846
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
when will they build something id want to ride?
They have several times and you didn't even bother taking one for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
no thanks. if its anything like the can-am it will have traction control and be worthless..
Other than having three wheels... IT ISN'T. The Can-AM doesn't lean in the right direction.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 11:21 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #1847
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
When you turn 60 or 70 and have a bad back and bad knees and still want to ride. That thing will look pretty damn cool then. And your grand kids will love riding with you.
Or people from snow states that want to ride all year. When this comes out I will find a way to own one... Put some studded tires on it and move back to Montana.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #1848
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
hmm

I think ohgood brings up some, well, "good" points (pun time!). I do like the HD concept better than the trikes I see.

An MP3 is a fun ride and he basically said "hey, people should try it" to which the response was "It ain't HD, so bug off."

HD needs some more models to bring in the newer riders. Milking the aged like the cows they are will only last for so long. I say this because I like the Motor Company and I want to see it succeed.

Maybe HD should make a Scooter or co-brand with Genuine (USA made) to have an HD model. Helps get new meat into the stores.

There is a scooter boom going on right now. Would be good for any company to get a part of that action.
SilkMoneyLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #1849
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post

HD needs some more models to bring in the newer riders. Milking the aged like the cows they are will only last for so long. I say this because I like the Motor Company and I want to see it succeed.

I may be wrong, but I am almost certain that I recently read somewhere that Harley had sold more bikes in the past year to people buying their first Harley than to "core" buyers, i.e. not their first Harley. That tells me they are doing something right.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #1850
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
When you turn 60 or 70 and have a bad back and bad knees and still want to ride. That thing will look pretty damn cool then. And your grand kids will love riding with you.
Like this 60 year old and 70 year old?

OK, but seriously- seriously? The key then will be the same as the key now- don't let it get off balance so my knees or back get hurt.

dwoodward screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 02:17 PM
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #1851
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I may be wrong, but I am almost certain that I recently read somewhere that Harley had sold more bikes in the past year to people buying their first Harley than to "core" buyers, i.e. not their first Harley. That tells me they are doing something right.
Read the phone transcripts linked above. You are correct.
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #1852
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,075
[QUOTE=SilkMoneyLove; I do like the HD concept better than the trikes I see.[/QUOTE]
Have you RIDDEN a Can-Am Spyder? I did, three times. Freeway on-ramps, decreasing radius at 80 mph. A bike for RIDERS!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #1853
minute86
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I teach the Riders Edge classes and the MSF and have since 2002.

The HD riders Edge instructor class wasn't much about riding; it was about facilitation, adult learning and HD history. neat eh? HD didn't hire me because I liked HD, they hired me because I like motorcycles and I love to ride.

Going to that class really opened my mind and I can't help but laugh when I hear people rag on HD or I see people dressed in all black. They're falling right into their roles; just as expected. ;-) They're going to buy something, what will it be?

Some folks forget or don't realize yet that the best part about riding isn't really the ride itself or even the destination, it's the riders and the people you met along the way, the experience. Why taint the experience with brand loyalty?

The motor employees I met didn't act like the people I've met in the shops and the folks I know who work on HD. The image gets thicker and thicker as you get closer to the customer. Kinda different insight.. food for thought.
minute86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #1854
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,414
I love Harleys just the way they are. I like other types of bikes as well. I used to ride sport bikes, but those days are over for good. I now have a small dual sport, a 1500 Goldwing (ok, comfortable, but drop dead boring, like driving a '70s Cadillac), and a Kawasaki Vulcan 750. Mine's an '02, but it is an '85 design. That one is my favorite, and I've put 74,000 miles on it in 10 years. But I am feeling the need for some character, some personality, some soul to go with my riding, and Harley is the only brand that has that. I am not a pirate, and don't care to be a part of the Harley scene. I also don't want one for a status symbol or a fashion statement. I want one to ride. I want to hear the noise and feel the vibrations. Too many bikes today have become like the OP's FJR. Totally bland and devoid of anything resembling soul. Harley has it in spades, and I think there are plenty of people around that want it to keep them doing just fine. They are too expensive new, But I do plan to buy a used one. No, that will not help Harley, as they already sold that bike. And I will never have enough money to buy a new one. But it is not just Harleys that are too expensive anymore, Japanese bikes are going down the same road. The only affordable ones are the little 250s, like the V-Star. For what it costs to buy one of those OTD, I can buy a real nice used 883/1200 Sportster, and have some fun.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #1855
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
... But I do plan to buy a used one. No, that will not help Harley, as they already sold that bike. And I will never have enough money to buy a new one.
Why are you so pessimistic? You're not dead yet.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #1856
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute86 View Post
Some folks forget or don't realize yet that the best part about riding isn't really the ride itself or even the destination, it's the riders and the people you met along the way, the experience.
Speaking completely for yourself, of course.

I, personally, prefer not to taint my riding experience by interacting with people.

Carried a step further, people who "ride" so they can meet people, should just buy the fucking T-Shirt and then drive there.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #1857
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,943
So you see no value in shared experience?
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #1858
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
So you see no value in shared experience?
If I meet someone along the way- what part of the experience are they sharing? The meeting? I don't like meeting people. If I wanted to meet people, I'd go to a bar, or get on the internet...
Old 12-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #1859
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
I pay zero attention to what MOST individuals working at a dealership have to say.

The topic of break-in came up the other day while having a conversation with a mechanic at a local shop. His recommendation? "Let it sit and idle through an entire tank of gas to "heat cycle" the engine. Then you're good to go".

He is actually employed as a mechanic.
Holy crap. .

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #1860
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Speaking completely for yourself, of course.

I, personally, prefer not to taint my riding experience by interacting with people.

I ride motorcycles because I like riding motorcycles... NOT to meet people.

I do like the interaction with the people at the gas stations and the diners in the little podunk towns along the way but that is NOT why I ride. It MIGHT make it in the top 100 list. Might.