User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #196
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
The Surge Begins...

Got off my bee hind and pulled the swing arm today, YA!

SURPRISE! Found this in the bottom of the drive shaft boot. Some "wizard" dropped it in the boot and just went ahead and left it there instead of fishing it out. Drive shaft had four bolts, so this was a "spare"! Oh for goodness sakes

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #197
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,450
That's a Shade Tree technique to keep bolts from being vibrated loose. Deform the threads and they will grip like glue.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #198
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...

Oddometer: 743
Motivation...

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi. I first spotted your thread about a year ago as I was heading down a similar path. So here's a little motivational nudge for you. My "RT" turned "S"...

I didn't go to the lengths that you are but just wanted to possibly provide a little more inspiration for you.

take the long way home
pit0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #199
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 327
Beautiful job pitorz. Now some nice peanut valve covers and some beautiful stainless steel headers and you'll be done.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #200
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

a little motivational nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit0rz View Post
Just thought I'd pop in and say hi. I first spotted your thread about a year ago as I was heading down a similar path. So here's a little motivational nudge for you. My "RT" turned "S"...

[photo snip...]

I didn't go to the lengths that you are but just wanted to possibly provide a little more inspiration for you.
OMG, it's my bike! Thx pit0rz for the nudge, I hope to get some steam going over the T-Day and Xmas breaks... stay tuned.

TINK
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #201
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Eh? Made in Japan?

I find it odd that my 1979 German built BMW had swing arm bearings made in Japan!? I'm 99% sure these are the bearings the factory put in, the seals had over spray on them and looked like they had not been changed since the bike was built.

Does anyone know if it was common back in 1978 for BMW to source bearings from Japan?

TINK
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #202
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Swing Arm "Before" Paint

Bottom, before painting...

Top, before painting...

TINK
Old 11-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #203
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Day off work = a day working on PROJECT-S :-)

Holiday today so time to get some work done on PROJECT-S...

Powder coating would have been the preferred finish but I would have had to remove the drive shaft to do so. Since the drive shaft is in good condition and does not need any servicing I decided to leave it alone and rattle can the swing arm instead.

It would have been easier to just sent the swing arm out the be "media" blasted, but I was concerned with the residual sand/beads that would be left in my drive shaft and swing arm bearing races. So I choose to wire wheel the swing arm myself. No to hard, only took about and hour using a combination of 6" bench, 4.5" hand and a variety of wire wheels on my die grinder.

Swing arm looked so good after stripping it seems a shame to cover it up with paint.

A quick coat of zinc chromate primer, let her sit overnight, and she'll be ready for several coats of Krylon Satin Black.

TINK
Old 11-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #204
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Sub-Frame sand blasted and primed

Thanks Giving weekend, Saturday, and I pull the sub-frame off and quickly determine I'm going to need this thing sand blasted.

Primo Powder Coating & Sandblasting has been on my radar for some time now, they are just a couple of miles from the house ...

I drop the sub-frame off for sand blasting and two hours later they call to tell me my job is ready to pick up.

Fast friendly service, quality work. I'll be back.

Here she is after green zinc chromate primer.

TINK

TINK screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 08:37 PM
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #205
sh1bby69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Ive used Primo and have been happy with them. Good and quick work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #206
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Rear Main Frame Battery Acid Damage Repair

Cleaning out the battery acid damage on the rear frame.

Bought me a Harbor Freight spot media blaster to address the rust at the muffler nuts etc., worked great, big mess with media all over the driveway.

Wire wheel working great on the outside surfaces.

TINK
Old 12-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #207
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Ready to spot paint the rear frame

Trans is out, rear frame has been wire brushed and is ready for primer....
Trouble is, it's 61F with 89% humidity today, not a day to be painting anything.
So, put some WD40 on the exposed parts and put her back to bed until the weather improves

TINK

TINK screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 02:20 AM
Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #208
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Foot Peg Rubbers

The foot peg rubbers are trashed, so I decided to buy a pair of replica rubbers (sans the "BMW") for $21.35 shipped to my door as opposed to the OEM rubbers for $20+ each, plus shipping, perhaps $50 for the pair..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360434914725...84.m1439.l2648

TINK
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #209
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
With it that far apart, id probably drop everything off for powdercoat, and assemble the bike all nice and fresh, but that's just me.

Lookin good TINK
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #210
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Shoulda Woulda Coulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
With it that far apart, id probably drop everything off for powdercoat, and assemble the bike all nice and fresh, but that's just me.

Lookin good TINK
Ya, I know, in for a nickle in for a dime, but, this is Phase-1 of this bike rebirth and powder coating takes this project to a whole "next level" that I'm not ready to take. My goal is to have a roller by Christmas, powder coating would delay that plan significantly because knowing me I would want to detail each and every nut and bolt to perfection. But that's not part of my Phase-1 plan for this project.

Phase-1 goal is to have a good solid rider as a base so that I can then sort out any mechanical issues that might show themselves as I begin putting some miles on her. To date I've only ridden this bike home from the sellers place, about 12 miles. I want to log a few hundred miles and get to really know this bike.

Phase-2 is where I'll strip her down again and do powder coating and any other cosmetics I feel I want to do at that time. I'm already one step into Phase-2 in that I went ahead and had the tank, seat cowl, S fairing and front fender painted. I was not planning to do paint during Phase-1 but the right guy came along for the right price so I went ahead and had that work done in advance.

Phase-3 is when (if) I feel I want to put real money into doing some big ticket upgrades; electronic ignition, stainless steel exhaust, ect.. I may never get to Phase-3 what with other live commitments, but one can dream for free...

TINK