User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
SFKLR OP
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,011
SF to LA and back on a 950SE

So I took a ride down to LA for the weekend. Mostly to visit college buddies, drink beer, bbq, and watch football. I only stopped for a few photos, and I'm afraid they are pretty monotonous: a 950SE in the foreground, scenery in the background.

Packed. Going with backpack instead of soft panniers. Better mileage, not carrying a lot. Most tools under seat, including puncture kit. Did forget to bring a spare tube. D'oh. Wouldn't be a problem though. Tent and a very warm sleeping bag in case I get stranded overnight somewhere.

Random Moss Landing sculpture garden:

The place had a bit of a survivalist/redneck vibe with the Confederate flag out front. Don't see that often in the Bay Area.

Gassed up in Big Sur with a quick Philly Cheesesteak with a side of chili.

Add a sticker.

Wasn't going all the way to LA before dark, so I looked for Nacimiento Road, and finally found it just South of Lime Kiln, and right across the highway from Kirk Creek campground.

Some stunning colors on the back-side of the hills. Camera overdid the saturation a bit. Very dark and moist micro-climates, despite bright sunshine at the coast.

The ride through Fort Hunter Liggett is beautiful. You come out through wine country on Jolon Road. Leaves had already changed from red to brown, sadly.

Stayed in San Luis Obispo. Rolled in at 5 as it was getting near dark. Negotiated a bargain on the broom closet room. Only had to kill one spider in the middle of the night.

Rolled into Westlake after noon and stopped for a snack. Found the holy grail: a cherry donut. In the entire bay area, all you can get is chocolate, glazed, maple, powder, plain. All donuts brown and lifeless. I could still call the trip a success if I had to turn around right there.

Rolled in and my friend's son wanted to sit on the white whale. At 37"-38" height (maybe 39" with airhawk), he's got a little growing to do yet before I let him take it for a spin.

I learned "The Tennis Game." Essentially tennis without a racket, you throw the ball into the other court, and your opponent has to catch it barehanded before it bounces twice. He throws it back into your court. It's a good workout and a heckuva lot of fun, actually. The 10 year old beat the two 42 year olds.

And then it's time for two hand touch street football. I'm defending the youngster whilst wearing flip flops. He got by me every time. Hell, I just rode an SE into the cold wind for 400 miles, give me a break! The kid is a budding Jerry Rice though; hands like glue. And he was all-time receiver for about 50 plays and 18 touchdowns. I can't remember what it was like to have that kind of energy.

My hosts. It's a mixed marriage: she went to U$C.

Bruins getting smoked? Time for some cornhole!

Too dark? Let's feed the lizards some crickets. Seriously, this kid does more in an afternoon than I do all week.

Sunday it was up early, on the road by 7:20a.m. Decided I had time to try Nacimiento back the other way too. Stopped in Lockwood for trail mix and a sticker. Skull and bones not my thing, but it is Lockwood's thing, apparently. Meh, sticker no. 2 adds some character. Moved it back to the side panel later.

Great switchbacks going up through the Los Padres National Forest.

The view is definitely better going West on Nacimiento. You twist down from 2750 feet, incredible ocean views at every turn.

Yes, that's Hwy 1 WAAAAY down there.

Looking South, the direction I did not take. Beautiful, done it many times, but lots of slow going with holiday traffic.

Couldn't get enough of that view.

The SE peformed flawlessly. Not a single hiccup. Unfortunately the suspension is still stock-stiff, and the lack of windshield had me missing the r1200gsa a LOT. The SE is defninitely NOT an interstate highway bike, but it sure beats every other dirt bike I've used for the task. I think the severe cupping of the front nobbies is due to suspension and 70mph droning for hours at a time on the 101. Gotta drop some cash and get that revalved, but it will be worth it. EDIT: 40mpg for the trip!

Go ride Fort Hunter Liggett and Nacimiento if you get the chance. Cheers.

SFKLR screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 11:21 AM
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,583
Enjoyed your report.

Nice pix and good lookin' katoom! The white is a very good look.

I got to ride the Naci/Fort HL road this summer with one of my sons. It truly is stunning and is a must see/ride.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,690
Did the same ride north from SD back in Jun. Naci-Ferg road was awesome. I just came up to King City (and will be for the next few weeks) yesterday and took the 23 off the 1 outside of malibu. Great time. Left TJ at 12:36 and got in after 10. starter problem, but great ride up the 101. I'm going to be going up to SF next week or the following on the GW. I plan on hitting Naci-Ferg again on my way out of town.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
SFKLR OP
Noob. Again.

One year bump.

Did the same football party trip this year in a car with the fiance. Took I-5 both ways.

EDIT - This is what a car report looks like (and the reason you can still own the url "interstatedriver.com" if you want to):

The SE is under brand new black & orange plastics now, along with the original tank. She's purdy and perfect, but doesn't get ridden much any more. I did take the future Mrs. for short 25-35 mph spin around town last weekend -- her very first ride. She liked it, right up until I snapped open the throttle on an empty country road and accelerated up to 65mph in about 2 seconds then rolled it back down again. Squeezed the stuffing out of me. "Don't ever do that again!" Still -- she wants a helmet of her own now. With sparkles on it.

EDIT- This year the good guys won, 38-28!

SFKLR screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:23 AM
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Sic bike
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Davethestick
Registered Rider

Oddometer: 72
Awesome Pictures!
Davethestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 269
Yes, cool bike! Enjoyed the report and pictures.
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
MelonMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Great pics. I spent time in that region while training as a bike racer. I plan on riding out this May and will be riding the same route north up into Oregon.
MelonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
M.Medel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Spectacular photos of your bike ... I like
greetings
Medel
M.Medel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I like the colours

A colourful time of year for a ride; the seasons are something that I miss living where I do at present. Traveling light is the way to go.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
hi Jim,
nice report. Glad to see you still have the white whale...get her that sparkly helmet...
did you go to UCLA? I met my wife there at 424 landfair, crazzy party house

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
SFKLR OP
Noob. Again.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Yes R, I did go to UCLA--a long long time ago. Lived in 8-10 different apartments down there, different ones each summer and fall. Cool that you met your wife there!

The bike is not white anymore. Back to stock tank and all new plastic. White is in the bin until needed (or sold).

Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
LeDakaR!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Yes R, I did go to UCLA--a long long time ago. Lived in 8-10 different apartments down there, different ones each summer and fall. Cool that you met your wife there!

The bike is not white anymore. Back to stock tank and all new plastic. White is in the bin until needed (or sold).

dang UCLA good ol' times!

that bike is looking

www.route66moto.com
moto rental/sales and tours, location et vente moto, import-export
LeDakaR! is offline   Reply With Quote