ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
STANIMAL OP
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,497
Need help with an old Zuma carb

I have an old Zuma that was sitting for five years. I went through the carb , replaced the pilot , needle and float . Also replaced the vacuum operated petcock . It starts and idles for a few moments , then dies , as if the bowl is running out of fuel .

Does the air filter assembly need to be mounted ? I know some engines need it in place to run right . I have been in side the carb several times . All the orifices seem to be clean and flowing air . Any thoughts ?
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
kiznile
Scooter Commuter
 
kiznile's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
I have an old Zuma that was sitting for five years. I went through the carb , replaced the pilot , needle and float . Also replaced the vacuum operated petcock . It starts and idles for a few moments , then dies , as if the bowl is running out of fuel .

Does the air filter assembly need to be mounted ? I know some engines need it in place to run right . I have been in side the carb several times . All the orifices seem to be clean and flowing air . Any thoughts ?
I dont know the zuma specifically, but a lot of these vacuum operated fuel pumps need vacuum...check to see how your fuel pump operates..Just a shot in the dark
__________________
Kyle Sutherland
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 (11,700 miles so far)
-Fender delete, DDM 4500K HID's, Polini 2G Maxi Clutch, Dr Pulley Sliders 11g, heated grips, Pirelli Diablos
kiznile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer
 
MODNROD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Midwest, West Oz
Oddometer: 1,840
If it's been sitting for 5 years, then it's likely the passageways in the carby are partially blocked by oxidation and/or varnish and crud, even if they look clean to the eye on first inspection.
A full strip down and soak in cleaner will do it wonders.
Same for the vacuum tap, maybe even more so. Fuel evaporates and leaves really stubborn varnishes.
__________________
Every ride's an adventure if you can't ride for crap
http://www.dragtimes.com/Ducati-Mons...lip-10329.html
MODNROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
STANIMAL OP
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,497
The vacuum petcock is new and the carb has been cleaned , soaked and cleaned about a half dozen times . Like I said , every hole is flowing air . There must be something I am over looking .
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tbonestone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago-suburbs
Oddometer: 161
Just for kicks, did you put the air box on yet? Try it and see if that helps. I always put the bike together fully then test run and tune.
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
allstateclub
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Wellington, Ohio
Oddometer: 54
Try a vibrator?

A few years ago I bought a hydrostatic cleaning gizmo from Harbor Freight. Cost was about $45-$50. I totally strip the carbs down, clean everything with carb cleaner, blow them dry with a pressure hose, then throw them into the hydrostatic cleaner that's filled with water. I was amazed at the stuff that came vibrating out of all those little holes. I've even vibrated the parts with solvent in the machine (NOT recommended by the maker). They seem to work a lot better without taking them off and trying to clean them again, then repeat again and again.
allstateclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
STANIMAL OP
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestone View Post
Just for kicks, did you put the air box on yet? Try it and see if that helps. I always put the bike together fully then test run and tune.
That's what I am thinking. I had a few bikes over the years that had to be tuned like that.
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
STANIMAL OP
SUPPORT THE SECOND
 
STANIMAL's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstateclub View Post
A few years ago I bought a hydrostatic cleaning gizmo from Harbor Freight. Cost was about $45-$50. I totally strip the carbs down, clean everything with carb cleaner, blow them dry with a pressure hose, then throw them into the hydrostatic cleaner that's filled with water. I was amazed at the stuff that came vibrating out of all those little holes. I've even vibrated the parts with solvent in the machine (NOT recommended by the maker). They seem to work a lot better without taking them off and trying to clean them again, then repeat again and again.
Sonic cleaner , I should get one anyway.
__________________
If it don't have tits, spark plugs or gun powder, it don't interest me. ---Moose Dog
If you don't organize your tools, you're a terrible person.---Aghartha
You twatwaffles who enjoy fucking duffelbags full of deer antlers, simply stay out of the thread. ---Hardware02
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: WPB, FL, USA
Oddometer: 159
Did you remove the blocking plug and idle mixture control before cleaning?
I'm not so sure but I think Zuma has that as well.
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014