Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #71551
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
Ahh,moral in my madness......Continental have now released 17" TKC80's tyres in supermoto sizes
120/70 (f) 150/70 (r)........ideal for the 2nd half of my AZ -Argentina trip!
I knew this 17" set up was ideal......only need 1 spare tube! :)
I ran a 150x17 on my Nordwest back in 2005...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #71552
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
Its back!!!!! After 40 days (who's counting ) without my rear wheel, I finally got it back from Warp 9. Put a 150/70-17 Shinko 712 on it... Now how do I ride this thing?

planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #71553
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Some of you may remember I picked up a 2003 DR650 a little over a month ago and after a couple weeks of throttle hesitations and extreme surging I decided to clean the carb and have a look see at the the jetting inside. Well one thing led to another and next thing I know the bike is not rideable and I am borrowing cars to get to work.
i called up Derek and had a carb rebuild kit and some various jets and a needle on its way and got it all installed this past week and finally finished it up just in time for a ride today.
although it still surges and occasionally sputters on a sustained freeway ride it runs much better.
i am still gonna try to troubleshoot it to get it right but at lest I can ride it now.
To everyone that helped me figure out some of the issues I really appreciate the help and big thanks to Derek for putting up with a whole lot of emails with endless questions.
I did find an exhaust leak going into the muffler that will need to be fixed and three are a couple other things I need to get it right but at least I am on the right path!
It's good to hear Derek was willing to help so much. I always like to hear about good customer service!

But good on you for being willing to jump in and do the work. You will figure the rest of the issues out, and with all the knowledge/experience you are gaining will be able to help the next guy out.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #71554
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,978
Quote:
Some of you may remember I picked up a 2003 DR650 a little over a month ago and after a couple weeks of throttle hesitations and extreme surging I decided to clean the carb and have a look see at the the jetting inside. Well one thing led to another and next thing I know the bike is not rideable and I am borrowing cars to get to work.
i called up Derek and had a carb rebuild kit and some various jets and a needle on its way and got it all installed this past week and finally finished it up just in time for a ride today.
although it still surges and occasionally sputters on a sustained freeway ride it runs much better.
i am still gonna try to troubleshoot it to get it right but at lest I can ride it now.
Now that you've got fuel flowing through it - SeaFoam, man, SeaFoam. It will clean it for you. Probably the easiest 'fix' for motorcycles that have sat ever was.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #71555
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Its back!!!!! After 40 days (who's counting ) without my rear wheel, I finally got it back from Warp 9. Put a 150/70-17 Shinko 712 on it... Now how do I ride this thing?
The only way you can. Balls to the wall.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #71556
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
I have stock, Corbin, and Seat Concepts.
I find the Seat Concepts the most comfortable of the three.
Corbin is nice and wide but rather hard for my boney butt.
Stock is just plain uncomfortable to me for longer than 20 minutes.
Sargent for me, an all day seat.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #71557
sunthechip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Should be OK. But DO NOT ride it anymore like that. Install a new Rubber
Swing Arm Chain Slider. (chain guide is the plastic white thing under your rear sprocket). while you're at it, pull rear wheel off. Check out the swing arm for looseness (left to right) You may need to pull out the BIG swingarm bolt, check bearings and re-grease. Be careful .. those are in there very tight. Use proper wrench and breaker bar. When you put it back be sure to Torque to spec. Bearings are probably OK ... but might be worth a look if any roughness or lateral slack is found.
I was researching the torque specs and I came across this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466791 - Apparently the lower shock bolt was stripping out when set to factory torque specs. Can you comment on the validity of this, and would it be a good idea to go with his recomendation of limiting the torqueing of the lower shock bolt on the current gen DR650 to 37Nm / 3.7 kg-m and adding blue locktite to the threads?
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #71558
sunthechip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Tore open the swing-arm today (2006 DR650se) to grease the swing arm bearings. Yes they needed grease and the bearing were OK.

Put axle grease in a livestock shot syringe and squirted it in on the needle bearings. Worked quite well.

The chain slider was well worn and a new one is on order from PC along with the new rear cushion bearings. The most forward bearing there was loose and the others had a little wiggle so got "the kit" coming.

Will be taking the truck to work for a few days.

Dave
I'll be taking the pedal bike to work for a few days ...
sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #71559
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,220
Quote:
I'm glad to hear!
Quote:
What's left must either be jetting or fuel supply related. Is the fuel filter inside the inlet elbow clean? Have you tried it with the gas cap removed (maybe the vent is clogged)?
Quote:
To everyone that helped me figure out some of the issues I really appreciate the help and big thanks to Derek for putting up with a whole lot of emails with endless questions.
Not a problem and you're very welcome.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #71560
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I ran a 150x17 on my Nordwest back in 2005...
Aye,but the front was the hassle.......was considering my Freewind wheel for Colombia south........can keep the 17" now!(I bought a new Gilera RC600 in '95 for 2500GBP,did Europe/Scandinavia on it-keeping the engine in the frame was hard!).
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #71561
chethro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
New DR

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 12 DR650 yesterday after months of research trying to decide between the XRL and DR. My eyes were bleeding from reading the threads on this forum! I've already made my first mods and have a lot more reading to do on this thread. What I was wondering is if anyone has some pics of a grey 5.3 Acerbis tank on the 2012 DR stock grey plastic?
chethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #71562
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Just for you Nordieboy........excuse me DR lovers!
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #71563
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
I was researching the torque specs and I came across this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466791 - Apparently the lower shock bolt was stripping out when set to factory torque specs. Can you comment on the validity of this, and would it be a good idea to go with his recomendation of limiting the torqueing of the lower shock bolt on the current gen DR650 to 37Nm / 3.7 kg-m and adding blue locktite to the threads?
NC Rick (Cogent), said:

"An important note:

DO NOT use the Suzuki manual torque specification to tighten the lower shock mounting bolt (on the shock clevis).

The prescribed torque will often rip the aluminum threads out of the clevis on the OEM or our shock.

There is an error in the manual.

We suggest 37 NM as the correct torque to tighten the M-10 fastener in the aluminum thread."

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #71564
jhomc1300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Transporting DR

I am going to take a DR to CA this winter, and I will need to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck. I am wondering if I should drain the oil, or if there are any other potential problems with it being on it's side for 4 days? Thanks.
jhomc1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #71565
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhomc1300 View Post
I am going to take a DR to CA this winter, and I will need to lay it on it's side in the back of the truck. I am wondering if I should drain the oil, or if there are any other potential problems with it being on it's side for 4 days? Thanks.
I would drain the gas and the oil. Can't think of anything that would cause any problems.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote