Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #71566
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I use this tool tube and bracket. I bought it from him when he did a limited run last year. He's back at it. It works awesome.

http://www.weld86motoparts.com/Suzuki-DRZ.html
another tool tube option... the famous agri supply $5 "manual cannister" tube with a ss band mount from Jegg.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=12943

I found mine on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynomax-3327...ht_1740wt_1018

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #71567
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
17' Continental TKC80's for supermotos!

Ahh,moral in my madness......Continental have now released 17" TKC80's tyres in supermoto sizes
120/70 (f) 150/70 (r)........ideal for the 2nd half of my AZ -Argentina trip!
I knew this 17" set up was ideal......only need 1 spare tube! :)
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #71568
sunthechip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
chain gouged the swingarm

My chain guide is worn through and the chain has left 2 shallow gouges in the swingarm. Is this a serious problem? Will the gouges cause any problems or inhibit the function of the replacement chain guide?

sunthechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #71569
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,601
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Just put this on using a mid pipe from Jesse. It's a Hayabusa 24F0. I haven't started it up yet, not ready to do that yet.

I have ran the 24, 35, and 40F0's, and you will love the performance of the Busa can... Uncle Jesse does an awesome job of making this slightly longer can work like a champ on the DR.
dogjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #71570
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Some of you may remember I picked up a 2003 DR650 a little over a month ago and after a couple weeks of throttle hesitations and extreme surging I decided to clean the carb and have a look see at the the jetting inside. Well one thing led to another and next thing I know the bike is not rideable and I am borrowing cars to get to work.
i called up Derek and had a carb rebuild kit and some various jets and a needle on its way and got it all installed this past week and finally finished it up just in time for a ride today.
although it still surges and occasionally sputters on a sustained freeway ride it runs much better.
i am still gonna try to troubleshoot it to get it right but at lest I can ride it now.
To everyone that helped me figure out some of the issues I really appreciate the help and big thanks to Derek for putting up with a whole lot of emails with endless questions.
I did find an exhaust leak going into the muffler that will need to be fixed and three are a couple other things I need to get it right but at least I am on the right path!
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #71571
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
Some of you may remember I picked up a 2003 DR650 a little over a month ago and after a couple weeks of throttle hesitations and extreme surging I decided to clean the carb and have a look see at the the jetting inside. Well one thing led to another and next thing I know the bike is not rideable and I am borrowing cars to get to work.
i called up Derek and had a carb rebuild kit and some various jets and a needle on its way and got it all installed this past week and finally finished it up just in time for a ride today.
although it still surges and occasionally sputters on a sustained freeway ride it runs much better.
i am still gonna try to troubleshoot it to get it right but at lest I can ride it now.
To everyone that helped me figure out some of the issues I really appreciate the help and big thanks to Derek for putting up with a whole lot of emails with endless questions.
I did find an exhaust leak going into the muffler that will need to be fixed and three are a couple other things I need to get it right but at least I am on the right path!
Kudos to Derek!
If you're still getting sputters ... I'm guessing WATER in fuel tank. Have you ever flushed it out? Have you pulled the petcock out of the tank and cleaned it? I assume you have checked the little white intake fuel filter on the carb too?

Other than that ... I can only think an OPEN air box ... like side cover OFF.
(not good) or leaky rubber manifolds from air box to Carb or going into intake manifold. Or ... something plugged on Carb that should not be plugged ...

Keep looking and testing ... one thing at a time. You'll track it down.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #71572
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
My chain guide is worn through and the chain has left 2 shallow gouges in the swingarm. Is this a serious problem? Will the gouges cause any problems or inhibit the function of the replacement chain guide?

Should be OK. But DO NOT ride it anymore like that. Install a new Rubber
Swing Arm Chain Slider. (chain guide is the plastic white thing under your rear sprocket). while you're at it, pull rear wheel off. Check out the swing arm for looseness (left to right) You may need to pull out the BIG swingarm bolt, check bearings and re-grease. Be careful .. those are in there very tight. Use proper wrench and breaker bar. When you put it back be sure to Torque to spec. Bearings are probably OK ... but might be worth a look if any roughness or lateral slack is found.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #71573
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Kudos to Derek!
If you're still getting sputters ... I'm guessing WATER in fuel tank. Have you ever flushed it out?
This is possible, its been sitting on my workbench under a shelter outside for a month, condensation?
Have you pulled the petcock out of the tank and cleaned it? not yet
I assume you have checked the little white intake fuel filter on the carb too? I did do that!

Other than that ... I can only think an OPEN air box ... like side cover OFF. top of the airbox is cut for the procycle jet kit
(not good) or leaky rubber manifolds from air box to Carb or going into intake manifold. Or ... something plugged on Carb that should not be plugged ...

Keep looking and testing ... one thing at a time. You'll track it down.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #71574
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Swing Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Should be OK. But DO NOT ride it anymore like that. Install a new Rubber
Swing Arm Chain Slider. (chain guide is the plastic white thing under your rear sprocket). while you're at it, pull rear wheel off. Check out the swing arm for looseness (left to right) You may need to pull out the BIG swingarm bolt, check bearings and re-grease. Be careful .. those are in there very tight. Use proper wrench and breaker bar. When you put it back be sure to Torque to spec. Bearings are probably OK ... but might be worth a look if any roughness or lateral slack is found.
Tore open the swing-arm today (2006 DR650se) to grease the swing arm bearings. Yes they needed grease and the bearing were OK.

Put axle grease in a livestock shot syringe and squirted it in on the needle bearings. Worked quite well.

The chain slider was well worn and a new one is on order from PC along with the new rear cushion bearings. The most forward bearing there was loose and the others had a little wiggle so got "the kit" coming.

Will be taking the truck to work for a few days.

Dave

smilin jack screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 01:57 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #71575
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunthechip View Post
hmmmmm.... I think my corbin seat is too low for me or something. My butt feels like it wants to go more forward with the corbin than I can remember with the stock.....
Time to get busy then...
http://sports.nelson.geek.nz/motorsp...ing/index.html

NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #71576
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae85 View Post
Ahh,moral in my madness......Continental have now released 17" TKC80's tyres in supermoto sizes
120/70 (f) 150/70 (r)........ideal for the 2nd half of my AZ -Argentina trip!
I knew this 17" set up was ideal......only need 1 spare tube! :)
I ran a 150x17 on my Nordwest back in 2005...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #71577
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Its back!!!!! After 40 days (who's counting ) without my rear wheel, I finally got it back from Warp 9. Put a 150/70-17 Shinko 712 on it... Now how do I ride this thing?

planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #71578
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
It's good to hear Derek was willing to help so much. I always like to hear about good customer service!

But good on you for being willing to jump in and do the work. You will figure the rest of the issues out, and with all the knowledge/experience you are gaining will be able to help the next guy out.
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #71579
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Now that you've got fuel flowing through it - SeaFoam, man, SeaFoam. It will clean it for you. Probably the easiest 'fix' for motorcycles that have sat ever was.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #71580
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Its back!!!!! After 40 days (who's counting ) without my rear wheel, I finally got it back from Warp 9. Put a 150/70-17 Shinko 712 on it... Now how do I ride this thing?
The only way you can. Balls to the wall.