Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,692
No doubt. At 4AM, I wanted to take a picture next to the southern most point of key west, and couple of tugs came out of nowhere...
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Small little island with lots of tourists and not much parking. 'Passing out" in the van will most likely get you a ticket, if they spot you!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,842
Late but here's the perspective from KWPD dispatch where I work nights and take parking complaint calls from residents. No vehicles over 20 feet can be parked on city streets. Parking enforcement carry tape measures and they include bumpers and bicycles and anything sticking out. The nearest legal campground is Boyds on Stock Island (Mile Marker 5 measured from the downtown courthouse in Key West) and they are not cheap.

Parks and beaches close at eleven pm and police patrol them all night. Sleeping on the streets or sleeping in vehicles is prohibited. Residents see everything that goes on and if you park on a city street and try to sleep you will be called in by a neighbor guaranteed. These neighbors property taxes pay our wages and their irritation gets a response. You will get one warning and your vehicle will be entered in our computer. It takes a millisecond to check for any history. Your second offense gets a ticket. People "camping" routinely dump shit and household waste on city streets. People piss on garden walls, some drunks curl up for the night on strangers' porches. It should come as no surprise there is a certain level of irritation about these issues.

The county offers a ton of quiet back roads some of which i beleive are patroled at night, but I have come across campers when walking my dog early in the morning so I know it goes on. I am not a cop and I have nothing to do with the Sheriff's office so I don't issue tickets or do anything more than say good morning when I find campers at my favorite dawn dog walks.

Key West is a crappy destination for a cheap vacation unfortunately. Its a tough place to make a living if you dont have a private income.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Late but here's the perspective from KWPD dispatch where I work nights and take parking complaint calls from residents. No vehicles over 20 feet can be parked on city streets. Parking enforcement carry tape measures and they include bumpers and bicycles and anything sticking out. The nearest legal campground is Boyds on Stock Island (Mile Marker 5 measured from the downtown courthouse in Key West) and they are not cheap.

Parks and beaches close at eleven pm and police patrol them all night. Sleeping on the streets or sleeping in vehicles is prohibited. Residents see everything that goes on and if you park on a city street and try to sleep you will be called in by a neighbor guaranteed. These neighbors property taxes pay our wages and their irritation gets a response. You will get one warning and your vehicle will be entered in our computer. It takes a millisecond to check for any history. Your second offense gets a ticket. People "camping" routinely dump shit and household waste on city streets. People piss on garden walls, some drunks curl up for the night on strangers' porches. It should come as no surprise there is a certain level of irritation about these issues.

The county offers a ton of quiet back roads some of which i beleive are patroled at night, but I have come across campers when walking my dog early in the morning so I know it goes on. I am not a cop and I have nothing to do with the Sheriff's office so I don't issue tickets or do anything more than say good morning when I find campers at my favorite dawn dog walks.

Key West is a crappy destination for a cheap vacation unfortunately. Its a tough place to make a living if you dont have a private income.
Makes sense. All it takes one person to ruin it for the rest of us. Thanks for your explanation.