Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Mike_W OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
GPS for tracking - auto-start logging on power on

Hi,

I'm looking for a GPS just to log my rides on its internal storage. It would be plugged into a power plug (probably USB) on the bike. I'd like it to be able to start logging automatically on power on, and obviously stop on power off. No buttons or any human intervention. Only maintenance would be to download and clear the data from time to time.

Does something like that even exist? Usually USB GPSs need some sort of intervention to start and stop logging. I looked around this forum and didn't find any relevant info. Perhaps I missed it.

Any info is appreciated.

thanks
Mike_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I think any Garmin GPS that does Tracks will do what you want.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Mike_W OP
n00b

You mean like the zumo and such? This is overkill for what I want, I don't need the screen and all. And they're very expensive.

I was hoping for something small like the Global Sat BU-353 and similar.

The GlobalSat DG-200 is not bad, but you have to turn it on with a button. I wanted the setup to be stowed away in the bags so I don't have to think about it. It would just start logging when the bike starts. I guess pushing a button won't kill me.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,576
What you want is a GPS Data Logger. Holux makes several, as do other manufacturers. Seach Amazon.com or eBay for "GPS Data Logger". I have the Holux M-1000, which does exactly what you described, except the rechargable battery is inside, which lasts a couple of days, so no cord required except to charge via a USB port once in a while. It has a huge internal memory, so you can record many days before transfering the data to your computer. Also, it has a tiny slide switch on the side to turn it on, which automatically starts the recording. Most have Bluetooth, which you don't need but you can ignore that feature. There are smart phone apps that do the same thing.

HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
What you want is a GPS Data Logger. Holux makes several, as do other manufacturers. Seach Amazon.com or eBay for "GPS Data Logger".
You could ask the folks at GPS city also, they are very knowledgeable and friendly.
http://www.gpscity.com/gps-receivers
Untill I'm ready
Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Mike_W OP
n00b

Quote:
What you want is a GPS Data Logger. Holux makes several, as do other manufacturers. Seach Amazon.com or eBay for "GPS Data Logger". I have the Holux M-1000, which does exactly what you described, except the rechargable battery is inside, which lasts a couple of days, so no cord required except to charge via a USB port once in a while. It has a huge internal memory, so you can record many days before transfering the data to your computer. Also, it has a tiny slide switch on the side to turn it on, which automatically starts the recording. Most have Bluetooth, which you don't need but you can ignore that feature. There are smart phone apps that do the same thing.

That does look good. I'll probably get something like that. My other option would be to build something using the raspberry pi mini-computer. It's a bit overkill, but it would be fun to do

I appreciate all the tips!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 181
Spot

You could use a SPOT set for tracking and then you wouldn't even have to download it. It can send spots every 5 minutes to your email.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
What you want is a GPS Data Logger.
Help me understand, why would you want this?

I have a Zumo 450 which I just love. It is fun to ride with and has improved the quality of my rides.

It keeps and extensive trip log which I can turn into routes, which I rarely do but sometimes
Untill I'm ready
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Not sure why the OP wants it, but I use one because:
1) It records higher resolution (more points per mile) than my Garmin, which is important for what I do.
2) It has WAY more memory than my Garmin, so I can record a complete trip in high-resolution without having to save tracks off the GPS in the middle of the trip.
3) The battery lasts a LONG time, so I don't have to worry that my Garmin internal battery may run down.
4) It doesn't require hard-wiring to my bike battery, which shuts down my Garmin when the voltage goes low when starting the motor.
5) It allows my Garmin to record a lower-resolution backup copy of tracks, because I can't afford having no tracks due to a single hardware failure.
6) It's WAY cheaper than a standard GPS, if all you want is tracks and not the screen display features.
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Mike_W OP
n00b

Quote:

I have a Zumo 450 which I just love. It is fun to ride with and has improved the quality of my rides.

It keeps and extensive trip log which I can turn into routes, which I rarely do but sometimes
There's some history behind that. I find the full-fledged gps units ridiculously expensive. Just couldn't bring myself to buy one so instead I went for a netbook and a bluetooth gps receiver. I have a nice big screen to plan my routes, a fine mapping s/w in MS Streets and Trips and a complete computer on top of that to do all the things these things do.

Yes I know this setup stinks sometimes. If I want to check my route I need to stop, get the laptop etc. But it's not that bad and I've gotten pretty good at memorizing a few hour long stretches.

And of course I can't keep logging data all the time because the laptop would overheat when stuffed between clothes and such in the bags.

So that's why I'm looking for a cheap solution to log my travel data, I don't need all the screen features and all since I already have that. And what I had in mind was a simple unit that I would just plug into usb power on the bike and would log whenever it had power, i.e. you plug it in and forget about it. But the loggers that hogwild suggested are just as good.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
There's some history behind that. I find the full-fledged gps units ridiculously expensive. Yes I know this setup stinks sometimes. If I want to check my route I need to stop, get the laptop etc. But it's not that bad and I've gotten pretty good at memorizing a few hour long stretches.
Yep, they are expensive. I bought the 450 when it was on sale and at a whim. I was looking for a compass I could mount on my bike.
The Zumo is the best accessory I ever bought for riding, a complete surprise for me.

Next Turn is wonderful, a mileage countdown to your next road change. No longer are you slowing and trying to read road signs. A glance at the unit is all it takes.

Auto routing makes exploring easy, fun, and fruitful. I pick a point I want to get too and I can actually spiral in on it if I want and if it is possible.

One of my best rides was across western Oregon, from California to Washington, all on back roads.
I looked at the map and picked 5 points to route too. And if I saw a more interesting road along the way, Id just pull onto it and have a new route to my point.

Anyway I have found the Zumo to be a lot of fun to ride with and very useful. It really did improve the quality of my rides
Untill I'm ready
Old 12-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
Yep, they are expensive. I bought the 450 when it was on sale and at a whim. I was looking for a compass I could mount on my bike.
The Zumo is the best accessory I ever bought for riding, a complete surprise for me.

Next Turn is wonderful, a mileage countdown to your next road change. No longer are you slowing and trying to read road signs. A glance at the unit is all it takes.

Auto routing makes exploring easy, fun, and fruitful. I pick a point I want to get too and I can actually spiral in on it if I want and if it is possible.

One of my best rides was across western Oregon, from California to Washington, all on back roads.
I looked at the map and picked 5 points to route too. And if I saw a more interesting road along the way, Id just pull onto it and have a new route to my point.

Anyway I have found the Zumo to be a lot of fun to ride with and very useful. It really did improve the quality of my rides
thats interesting.I think i am the opposite of that.Half the time i DONT care where i am.I dont want to know how far to the next turn,and when i come to a junction i will take the one that looks like it leads to more intersting roads/country side.
But a gps might help me get home!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
thats interesting.I think i am the opposite of that.Half the time i DONT care where i am.I dont want to know how far to the next turn,and when i come to a junction i will take the one that looks like it leads to more intersting roads/country side.
But a gps might help me get home!
Yeah, I really did not want one either, all I wanted was a compass. A big surprise for me and it gets me home at night.

Next Turn is all about routes, guy, not the next intersection. Though if you turn at the next intersection you will get a new route, if possible, to your target.

Believe me, if you are droning up Hwy 5 you get very interested in what Next Turn has to say
Untill I'm ready