Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #256
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 599
Probably gonna get smashed for this one...

VFR 800. A good friend and I traveled up to Canada and bought it. It was the beautiful bright blue version that we didn't get in the states, 1999 I think. I thought the bike was a real looker, performance was pretty darn good, couldn't really fault it....

It just seemed devoid of any soul or personality, strange for a V4 motor. It was like being with a beautiful woman who does everything "right" but fail to really push the proper buttons.

Next was a 2001 CBR 929RR. I'd ride for an hour and feel like I had been in a fight. It seemed to be one of the rare Hondas that wasn't quite sorted before mass production, but in a way that gave it mountains of personality. If you didn't respect it or treat it right, you'd be in big trouble. To say that machine kept me alert and made me work to be a better rider is a big understatement.

To use my previous analogy, it was like being with an ok looking woman that rocks your world and haunts your dreams.

For me, I'll take less than perfect and scary/ exciting any ol time...
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #257
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Who mentioned about some folks hating and others loving the same bike? Here's a good example- the quote above vs. our experience.

Our adult daughter has a 2002 ZX6R that we picked up used but in good condition. She loves it- 5'-7", 115#

If I crank up the suspension to carry my weight, I really like to ride it too- 6'-2", 180#

One of the easiest bikes to ride and FUN too.

Go figure.......

I loved the engine and looks just didnt really like the way it handled, and never felt really at home on it. couldve spent money and time on the suspension but didnt want to and sold it on for a couple hundred more than i got it for so all good! they are sweet bikes dont get me wrong just didnt suit me.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #258
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris41483 View Post
I would like to hear from someone who doesn't like the new nc700 for whatever reason. I'm interested in one of those. How does it compare to the v-storm for those of you who have ridden both?
I'm in the market for a new bike and test rode an NC700X. I had talked myself into it being pretty cool. Technology - check. Reliability - double check. ABS - check. Efficient - check. Practical - double check. The thought of low center of gravity for handling, lightweight, and knowing I don't need 100HP to commute. I even kind of like the looks of it. In many ways it is genius engineering. I went in thinking it was going to be mine.

I HATED it. I rode the ABS/DCT version and I cannot begin to describe my loathing for an automatic transmission motorcycle. Combined with the low rev engine, it could not have been more soulless. Everything about the NC700 was about separating the rider from the bike. How can it have that low-end power and feel slow? How can it be that light and carry weight so low and feel lumbering in corners? The terrible, non-adjustable suspension has something to do with it - thing just bogs down in corner unless you really drive the front end down. Making that harder is that the brakes weren't great either -- stopping distances were tooooo loooong. Mind you that even if it wasn't all that much slower than other bikes (and I think it is), it just wasn't engaging. It is completely capable and yet completely terrible to ride. It is a Camry or a minivan.

And the more I think about it, the more I hate it. Why would someone bastardize a motorcycle in this way. Who would do such a thing, wringing all the rider/bike interaction out of a machine? Why would you turn my hobby into work and riders into automatons?

(Incidentally, I also test rode a Versys, which I found to be much more to my liking. Uglier, and (not a small problem) jammed my nuts into the tank, but I loved the revs, working the transmission and the cornering. Suspension and handling superior, power better, too. Very much more of an involved in the experience in riding.)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #259
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
(Incidentally, I also test rode a Versys, which I found to be much more to my liking. Uglier, and (not a small problem) jammed my nuts into the tank,
I read that complaint from others too. Sliding forward in the seat against the tank. But it just doesn't happen to me. No sliding forward. I often sit back against the seat hump for some forward lean.

The sliding forward thing might be related to rider weight and sag--I don't get much sag in the front. People seem to fix it with seat customizing.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #260
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
I own a Ninja 250 and had the same nut room problem. I blame my generously sized package, though I make no comment on why this isn't a problem for you. Fixed with Corbin seat, like any decent geriatric like me would do on a young persons bike. Would do the same if I pick up the Versys.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #261
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
The pillion seat step on the Versys is too close to the front, for tall riders. For touring, it was quite uncomfortable, for me. But easily fixed, and a small nit on an otherwise very good bike.

Rinty screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 10:08 AM
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #262
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
What a fun thread. I don’t think I have posted on ADV in years…So, why not.

In a number of decades of riding and owning about 20 bikes, only two were sold because I did not like them. The others were sold because I get bored with any bike after 4 or 5 years.

The R1150GS. Is was a wonderful bike in so many ways, it took me all over the country and on some nasty off road adventures with the 21” front wheel I put on it but I could never cure the buffeting, and yes I tried everything short of running a barn door size windscreen.

The other was a R1150RT. I finally thought I had found my perfect bike, but after a 2,000 mile run I stepped off in my driveway and realized I felt like I just climbed out of a minivan….I need a bit more of a visceral riding experience. I purchased my second R1100S. Mucho better.

Last comment, if I was still an admin and mod on this silly site I would give the guy who said he hated the sound of the 94’ VFR gear driven cams a lifetime ban. There never has been a sweeter sound than those cams as the RPM’s go up!
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #263
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
The ST1300.... like riding a vanilla ice cream cone. Does everything right but has no soul....
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #264
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper246 View Post
The ST1300.... like riding a vanilla ice cream cone. Does everything right but has no soul....
Vanilla is my favorite ice dream. But for vehicles, no -- I'm pretty much a "buy Italian" sort of guy.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #265
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Vanilla is my favorite ice dream. But for vehicles, no -- I'm pretty much a "buy Italian" sort of guy.

PhilB
This is why I can't stop riding my V11 Tenni.
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #266
Superbikemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post

Last comment, if I was still an admin and mod on this silly site I would give the guy who said he hated the sound of the 94’ VFR gear driven cams a lifetime ban. There never has been a sweeter sound than those cams as the RPM’s go up!
i'm with ya.... that gear whine sounds so sweet to my ears, especially on a rc-51....
Old 12-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #267
BMWs2Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
That explains it. I see so many used GS's for sale at so many places, but every owner praises how great the bike is. If they're so great, why are so many people selling them?
What you are not taking into consideration is that this is BMW's best selling bike. There are a lot of them out there on the market. Almost every bike goes up for sale eventually when the owner is ready to change bikes or they need the cash out of a sale.
BMWs2Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #268
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
R1200R.

By every estimation, a great bike. Good handling, reasonably light, great gas mileage, reasonably nice looking. Practically speaking, probably a better bike for me at my size than the GS. But even after spending a full week on one on three separate occasions, it just doesn't raise my pulse even a tick. It's as close to a modern Honda as a BMW motorcycle gets, and for me that means boring.

Apologies to the R12R owners and fans.
We share the same sentiments. In my top 3.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #269
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs2Dave View Post
What you are not taking into consideration is that this is BMW's best selling bike. There are a lot of them out there on the market. Almost every bike goes up for sale eventually when the owner is ready to change bikes or they need the cash out of a sale.
A good many people who talk themselves into a GS don't really need a GS, there is also the what-am-I-going-to-do-now-that-the-warranty-is-about-to-expire issue
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #270
vtduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
When folks ask why I have five motorcycles in my garage, I reply: "I never met a motorcycle I didn't like, but I have never ridden the perfect motorcycle."

If any motorcycle manufacturer ever comes out with a bike that has a port I can hardwire into my brain
that emulates the following:

My first ride on a motorcycle.....
The first mortorcycle I ever purchased brand new.....
My first two-up ride with that special significant other....
My first track day.....
My first long multi-day adventure ride....

I would, as many others on this site profess......."be all over that"

I think a lot of us are looking for the same thing......................................YMMV
vtduc is offline   Reply With Quote