Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #151
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I am not that skilled for a rim, let alone do I have the equipment, plus I doubt it would last very long given the way I ride. I have been up since 5am working on the rad guard. It was a pain in the butt getting off the mold (used a bit too much resin, but better than not enough). I had to do a lot of clean up on this piece because the lay up was difficult to get setup but that is alright, my dremel and I have become inseparable today. Here it is right now, I want to sand some more before I clear coat it. This will clip in right in front of the stock rad guard so I have double the protection (important due to the high fender mod).

Photobucket

Photobucket

This thing is a springboard for rocks! It is 3 layers in a weave fashion of 5.7 oz w/HTE. It is super strong, I could sand some more to get it to look super pretty but it is a radiator guard...

runnin4melife screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 09:31 AM
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #152
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Well done! Looks like it turned out well.

When are you going to do new side panels?? I want those!

Also when is the ebrabaek vs. runnin4melife carbon off??

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #153
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post

Dave
.... As you clearly see.... I am outgunned already.........

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #154
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Hahaha Erling, I am still very much a novice at this. I have stumbled quite a bit while getting my footing. Everything I do I improve on though. If I would have tried to do this the first time it would have been in the trash before it cured! This was pretty difficult because it was many, many pieces. I had CF sticking to my gloves and went through 3 brushes just trying to keep stray strands of CF from gumming up the layup and even then I was not completely successful.

I recommend it for anyone that has a work space. It really is a lot of fun and not to expensive given what you can make. I have used 4 yards of material to make quite a few pieces that would have cost a lot more to buy and they are completely custom. Some prettier than others but it is fun and a great skillset to have. Tomorrow I might play with the mudguard some more.

I cannot seem to get a good picture of this piece, all of them make it look pretty bad regardless of the angle. It is actually pretty nice, does have some uneven spots because I ran a few more layers on a couple parts to increase strength. Oh well.

runnin4melife screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 02:17 PM
Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #155
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post

Dave
On second thought..... I think I take the cake..... This Dane did not think about getting a Danish advent candle holder for the Danish candle we just got...... Carbon to the rescue......

Happy first of December Adam.....Great job on the guard... I am sure it will work awesome.....

Erling
Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #156
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

That is slick! Did you use resin on the wood too?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #157
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
That is slick! Did you use resin on the wood too?
Hehe... Thanks. Yes I used MAX-HP. If you do this just make sure you keep the wood below 160. Above that it starts degassing. Don't ask me how I know this......

Erling
Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #158
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

I am looking at some vacuum pumps right now as I would like to bag the mud guard for better impregnation as well as reduce air bubbles. I was looking at the el cheapo versions (~$80-100) that run 3+ CFM. I am used to heavy duty HVAC style vacs that do 20+ CFM but don't feel like spending $400 or more for something that won't be used professionally.

The issue I have are:

Will I need more CFM to draw down to the appropriate atmosphere I am trying to get?

Longevity, if I am bagging something I will need to run the pump till everything has cured so it will take a while, will this blow a cheap pump up?

Curing, can I use IR lamps when bagged in heavy mil plastic or will I wind up with plastic soup, same thing with HTE?

Is it worth it? Even if I do not bag the piece I can still use it to off gas resin before I apply it, but how many bubbles do I create when applying it or pressing layers of CF down...?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #159
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am looking at some vacuum pumps right now as I would like to bag the mud guard for better impregnation as well as reduce air bubbles. I was looking at the el cheapo versions (~$80-100) that run 3+ CFM. I am used to heavy duty HVAC style vacs that do 20+ CFM but don't feel like spending $400 or more for something that won't be used professionally.

The issue I have are:

Will I need more CFM to draw down to the appropriate atmosphere I am trying to get?
Sort of.... They do have a corelation, but what you want is a two stage unit. Some single stage pumps claim that they will go to 26 inches of mercury, but in reality , they wont. The ones that will are two stages. They come in different cfm. steps. I have this.....
http://www.jbind.com/products/produc...px?SKU=DV-200N

Longevity, if I am bagging something I will need to run the pump till everything has cured so it will take a while, will this blow a cheap pump up?
You can either use your vacuum chamber, as reserve, or build you a tank set from pvc pipes for about 20-30$.

Curing, can I use IR lamps when bagged in heavy mil plastic or will I wind up with plastic soup, same thing with HTE?
Yes, but you have to step it, as most bags are good to 150-200. Biggest issue is that the IR heat lamp will localize more heat in spots, and they will cook the stuff. So a longer cure for about say 2 hrs, them dismantle, as it has set, and then full post heat cure.

Is it worth it? Even if I do not bag the piece I can still use it to off gas resin before I apply it, but how many bubbles do I create when applying it or pressing layers of CF down...?
Yes it is. I degass most if not all resins before use. I bag almost nothing. I am not hammering on the bagging, but it is a mess, and adds to the cost. I tend to achieve the same with mechanically additions to hold the fabric in place, but none of the pieces I make commercially are in a need for bagging. The reason it is beneficial to degass the resin before use, is specially noticeable with the use of post heat cure resins, as the small bubbles you cannot see while stirring, will blow up and those are the ones you see afterwards in the cured matrix. Yes you whip up a few while working the layup, but they are so big that they pop easily. But it is not all good. Some epoxy's degass better than others. For example, the HTE and 1618 is a pain in the a$$. They have a lot of surface tension, and it is like boiling milk.... So with the hte, I bring it to 90 deg.F. then degass in stages, and same with the 1618. You can also give the cup a squirt of acetone to break the surface tension. Brass has gone through the roof, and I made my own chamber, as seen in my degass video. But I do not think that you can beat the price for any of the ebay vendor's complete kit's. You will get a Chinese pump though. JD Industries.... Yellow Jacket, and some of the few great US made ones. Just make sure it is two stage.

Erling
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #160
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Erling, youre like a crack dealer! Lure us in, get us hooked then realize all the nifty things we can do and poof you go all out and dump a $500+ vacuum pump on us hahaha. I am searching craiglist right now.

Bidding on a JB DV-6E on eBay right now... The price is right if I win.

The easiest fix to the money expenditure would be not to propose to my GF, I would have a lot of play money then and could get my MIG welder I want :-) and a lot of other stuff hahaha

runnin4melife screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 10:43 AM
Old 12-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #161
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Erling, youre like a crack dealer! Lure us in, get us hooked then realize all the nifty things we can do and poof you go all out and dump a $500+ vacuum pump on us hahaha. I am searching craiglist right now.

Bidding on a JB DV-6E on eBay right now... The price is right if I win.

The easiest fix to the money expenditure would be not to propose to my GF, I would have a lot of play money then and could get my MIG welder I want :-) and a lot of other stuff hahaha
Ha ha......... Sorry amigo, that's how us Danes roll.....Seriously though... This is properly going to be the best investment you have done ( US made or not) It is one of the single most important piece of equipment to have, as the next step. Secially when you start using HTE or any other post cure stuff, in a mould. Like the header heat shields I make for MRD Racing..... No sanding needed. Pops right our of the mould, after a day in the oven, and is ready to go with perfect finish. And, of course, you now have a paved way to vacuum bagging, if that is your forte. I found my JB at flebay nib for $260+25 for shipping. Just again a word of caution.... The video I posted degassing is with MAX-CLR... and almost any other high performance polymers will not pop as easy. On a side note... Used the system to evacuate the kiddos air mattresses...... Mannnn... this stuff works.

(PS) Better NOT skip the proposal.... Usually bad things happens otta that..... :)

Erling
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #162
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Ha ha......... Sorry amigo, that's how us Danes roll.....
There's more than one grain of truth in that statement ;-) ;-)

I typed this in Tapatalk
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #163
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks to ebay I now have a JB DV-6E for $56 plus a modest shipping fee of $35. Not bad considering these retail for $300-350. I picked up some stuff to make a vacuum chamber but will have to wait for the vacuum to arrive. I figure I will hold up on the mud guard so I can get a good product now. Not like I am itching to ride as the bike is in pieces but the current 70' weather is making it a bit problematic. Luckily I have plenty of stuff to keep me busy.

I was looking at DIY vacuum chambers and found a rather ingenious pump hahaha, made it with some kitchen stuff and a penis pump!

http://trollsforge.proboards.com/ind...ay&thread=1410

runnin4melife screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 02:55 PM
Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #164
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawe View Post
There's more than one grain of truth in that statement ;-) ;-)

I typed this in Tapatalk
He he.....Takker og boejer.....

Erling
Old 12-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #165
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks to ebay I now have a JB DV-6E for $56 plus a modest shipping fee of $35. Not bad considering these retail for $300-350. I picked up some stuff to make a vacuum chamber but will have to wait for the vacuum to arrive. I figure I will hold up on the mud guard so I can get a good product now. Not like I am itching to ride as the bike is in pieces but the current 70' weather is making it a bit problematic. Luckily I have plenty of stuff to keep me busy.

I was looking at DIY vacuum chambers and found a rather ingenious pump hahaha, made it with some kitchen stuff and a penis pump!

http://trollsforge.proboards.com/ind...ay&thread=1410
Yay..... The Eliminator is a great US made pump. Word of caution..... I have destroyed at least one SS pot in the process of making a vacuum chamber. 25 inches of mercury is quite a lot, and I ended up with a pressure cooker from BB&B. So put on a pair of safety glasses on the first go of the chamber, cause once it goes..... it goes. I ended up with a acryllic 1 inch thick plate from USplastics.com for about $35 it was 12x12 inches. Most fun of all... Is to test the chamber with the kids.....and....uhhhmmmmm..... lots of marshmallows......

Erling