User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Snuffy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Up the South Canol Road

Here are some pics of the South Canol road from Johnson's Crossing up to the Robert Campbell Hwy that i took a few weeks ago during my trip up north.
I started off by getting as much fuel in the beast as possible and having one of the best cinnaman buns ever. Those girls at Johnson's Crossing know how to make'em right. Off we go.

First pic is one of a few bridges to cross.

Yes, you need to double back over the bridge and about two hundred yards after the bridge, you hang a left turn. I like bridge crossings!

After a few miles one crosses another bridge over a creek.

Roughly thirty miles in i get a sign. Lets me know where i am. Kinda get an idea how narrow this road is. So far, i'm the only one out here. Great!

Here we see how narrow it is, and so far, smooth.

Here's Quiet Lake. Fairly large and definitely quiet. Also, plenty of mountains.

So far the road has been smooth, but a few ruts, potholes, sand and mud puddles have appeared. Now for the grades. I would guess most of the grades are 8% but not too long. Certainly a lot of fun. The next pic shows the drop off, with a good vista.

More mountains and smooth road.

Even have rivers to look at, and more mountains.

Don't let the smoothness of the road fool you. It does have it's surprises.

I came across plenty of small lakes. Some with ducks.

So far i have seen only two vehicles and i'm about have way. Plenty of great views in all directions. Feels great to be alone out here. Very peaceful.

Almost the end of the road and i come across this sign. Think i'll read it.

Ok, now for a pic.

Pretty amazing site. Looks like a lot of heat and energy to create this.
Now another and last bridge to cross. Well, i already crossed it and walked over to take the pic above, but you get the idea. It's the longest and highest of the bridges on the South Canol road.

Well, were at the end of the South Canol. What a great ride! As far as critters, i saw very up close bald eagles, porcupine, ducks, i think some loons and a lot of birds. Wait, even ants?
The road was smooth in many spots but did have it's moods. Even small trees lying on the surface. I don't think i would want to tackle it during a frog choker. There are spots i wouldn't be able to cross.
This last pic is at the junction of the South Canol and Campbell. The Campbell on the left and Canol on the right headed south. Hopefully from this angle you can see how narrow the South Canol is.
If you haven't done this road yet, put it on your list!

Old 08-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,237
Looks like you had a fabulous trip. The scenery is awesome. I never biked up there but I did backpack the Canol Heritage Trail 222 miles from the Yukon border to the MacKenzie River. As you know, it is hard to describe the beautiful vistas you encounter every day. Congratulations on a great ride!
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Beautiful pics!

It's now on my list for next summer.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Snuffy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
Looks like you had a fabulous trip. The scenery is awesome. I never biked up there but I did backpack the Canol Heritage Trail 222 miles from the Yukon border to the MacKenzie River. As you know, it is hard to describe the beautiful vistas you encounter every day. Congratulations on a great ride!
My whole trip was great and i'm wanting to do it again, soon. This is the place to backpack!
Old 08-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
Snuffy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Beautiful pics!

It's now on my list for next summer.
Thanks, and do put it up top.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,347
Beautiful, what did you use for a camera?

2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy
This is the place to backpack!
Run into any large mammals? When I hiked it I had four grizzly encounters in 18 days on the trail.

http://canoltrail.tripod.com/much.htm
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:33 AM   #8
Snuffy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
Beautiful, what did you use for a camera?

Thanks. Using a Cannon A95. Still learning what this thing can do.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:42 AM   #9
Snuffy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
Run into any large mammals? When I hiked it I had four grizzly encounters in 18 days on the trail.

http://canoltrail.tripod.com/much.htm
No sightings of anything bigger than me, but did notice droppings at one point on the road that i couldn't identify. I sure wished i had brought along my binocs.
And i'm glad i didn't have to share the road with a grizz. BTW, i did see a few around Whitehorse and Haines Junction. Both encounters were within 50 yards which is close enough for me.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #10
Stomp
Imprisoned Wanderlust

Oddometer: 694
Is that you, George? If so, glad you enjoyed the rest of your trip after we separated west of Watson Lake. I wish we had taken the Canol Rd, but we were pushing for Dawson and Inuvik (which we didn't make it to due to unforseen circumstances...). Fantastic riding up there, eh?

--Travis on another '02 graphitan
Old 08-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
Snuffy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp
Is that you, George? If so, glad you enjoyed the rest of your trip after we separated west of Watson Lake. I wish we had taken the Canol Rd, but we were pushing for Dawson and Inuvik (which we didn't make it to due to unforseen circumstances...). Fantastic riding up there, eh?

--Travis on another '02 graphitan
You betcha Travis!! You guys left me in your dust after the lunch and drinks. I figured i would catch up but never happened. Went ahead and spent the night and did much needed laundry at Rancheria. Next morning i headed for Johnson's crossing and figured what the heck. Went on up to Dawson but did not do the Inuvik run as planned. The rear knobs were down too far for my liking, seeing that i still had the T.O.T.W. to do and Alaska. I really want to do Inuvik in the near future. Say hi to Pat, John and Lance for me! Was a real pleasure to hook up with yall.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:13 PM   #12
Stomp
Imprisoned Wanderlust

Oddometer: 694
Sorry to hear that you didn't make it to Inuvik, either. We spent a little time in Whitehorse the following day and then made a dash toward Dawson. Unfortunately, my dad (John) had an accident about 60 miles up the Klondike Hwy. He broke a rib and punctured a lung, but is recovering nicely under mom's supervision. The bike is still in Whitehorse, awaiting a truck to bring it back to MN. Lance and I ended up riding together for the duration and only met up with Pat about a week later as we were getting on the fairly in Haines. A fantastic ride, but another couple weeks certainly would have been nice.

Where'd you go after the Canol Rd bit?
Old 08-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #13
Snuffy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp
Sorry to hear that you didn't make it to Inuvik, either. We spent a little time in Whitehorse the following day and then made a dash toward Dawson. Unfortunately, my dad (John) had an accident about 60 miles up the Klondike Hwy. He broke a rib and punctured a lung, but is recovering nicely under mom's supervision. The bike is still in Whitehorse, awaiting a truck to bring it back to MN. Lance and I ended up riding together for the duration and only met up with Pat about a week later as we were getting on the fairly in Haines. A fantastic ride, but another couple weeks certainly would have been nice.

Where'd you go after the Canol Rd bit?
Really sucks to hear about John. Sure hopes he recovers quickly without any problems. Tell him that i didn't like the color of his bike anyway .

I headed up to Dawson for a full day and took in some sights. Sure didn't run across any wild wimmen. On over to Fairbanks to visit some friends and then down to Anchorage for one day. Rest of trip was a slow one home. No hurry.

Glad to hear Pat came out of this ok. Say hi to Lance for me also.
Good that you and Lance got a little more riding done. You think yall might go up again next year?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #14
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Definitely going to part of my trip. Hopefully next summer. Nice pics.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote