Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #31
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
This is a really fun thread to follow! Thank you for posting.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #32
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Route 66 Texas and NM

Ok back with ya again. After hitting the Texas border had a few more wide open spaces to ride but I was really into this ride and loving every minute of it. I got lucky on the weather too. Cool but no rain.

I hit Amarillo, TX and had my sights set on the "Cadillac Ranch" It's located just West of Amarillo. Farther out in the field than I thought it would be but was easy to find.

Some folks had already walked out to the cars but I pulled over parked and walked on out.
There they were in all their glory! Funny as heck. People had used spray cans to leave their names and other sayings on each car.

I was about to leave and walk back to the bike and I hear someone holler out, Hey, want your picture taken with the cars?? I turn around and a couple of women with western gear on complete with Chaps and all were standing there with big smiles. So I say sure that would be great. I handed one of them my camera and went over to stand by the cars.

Then they say can we take our picture with you too!?? I'm thinking now what? But agree to do it. So here they are chaps and all. What the heck Grandpas always like hugs too right.
Meet Phyllis and Katie.

Visited with them for a while and come to find out they were out promoting their tour business. I'll give them a plug here since they were so nice. Think I'll stick to the iron horses though. "Cowgirls and Cowboys in the West"

Next up would be an old Ghost town called Glenrio, Texas

right on the Texas New Mexico border. Referred to my many as a Route 66 casualty. There was one person living there still when I visited.
Kind of a private type though as all the buildings were signed no trespassing.

Whats left of an old gas station. The old Pontiac looked like it had been abandon too.

That's about it for Texas, I did ride down through an area in Amarillo that was supposed to be old route 66 area but found nothing worth looking at.

After that I rode into New Mexico. I was nearing my time limit on this trip but wanted to make it as far as Santa Rosa that was supposed to have a big classic car museum. Off we go.

Rolled into Tucomcari, NM and saw the Tee Pee Curios.

Looked closed up so I took a quick picture and rolled on down the street.

An old abandon Phillips 66 station in not very good shape. Oklahoma you spoiled me...

They did have a very cool Route 66 Sign though.

Headed for Santa Rosa where I would spend the night.

Got into Santa Rosa right at 5:00pm and immediately saw the museum. I figured they would probably be closed but thought I'd try it anyway.

The front door was open so I walked in, it was nice with a small restaurant in front that was closed.

Lady there said I could go on in she would stay open a while longer, some people were still inside. They had advertised that they had over 300 cars and I was kind of disappointed to see only a few. I guess they must rotate them in and out. Anyway they did have some good ones.

That was about it, not as I had hopped for but fun just the same. I found a room, got some grub and crashed. The hot shower really felt good after a long day.

Next morning I loaded up and headed out about 7am with the sun coming up and 34 degrees. Was glad I had my heated gear!! Ten and a half hours and 680 miles later I pulled into my garage.

That's if folks, I plan on finishing the rest of the Western ride but not sure when at this point. I want to make it all the way to Santa Monica, stand on the pier and look out at the ocean. The end of the line!
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
Capt_Gruuvy
Travel Poet Laureate

Oddometer: 306
Any chance we can put a display together featuring your photos and narrations for the Museum ?

http://califrt66museum.org/
Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #34
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
I've run the entire length of Rt 66 & pieces of it several times when it was the only road. That was waaay before the interstates. Believe me, it was no fun then. Later, I used to go several states out of my way to NOT go on it. As you get farther into NM, AZ & CA, sections of the road are still what they were then. Winslow & Oatman AZ come immediately to mind....

So, Gruuv, you over here now??? I've been wondering how you were doing.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #35
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Gruuvy View Post
Any chance we can put a display together featuring your photos and narrations for the Museum ?

http://califrt66museum.org/
Would be glad to work with you on that just let me know what you want to do and how etc.

Thanks
10Cup
Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #36
Capt_Gruuvy
Travel Poet Laureate

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
So, Gruuv, you over here now??? I've been wondering how you were doing.
Been here a long time but post little. I am not riding much at all. Too wacked out for that. You would not believe what Mrs Gruuvy and I have been through.

I've been hanging around the 66 Museum in Victorville. Keeps me out of trouble. I hope you are well.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #37
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,592
Great rr. You would have enjoyed a stop in Erick, OK if Harley and Annabelle are still performing. It was the most amusing highlight of our trip to the Grand Canyon by Rt 66.
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #38
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
Great rr. You would have enjoyed a stop in Erick, OK if Harley and Annabelle are still performing. It was the most amusing highlight of our trip to the Grand Canyon by Rt 66.
Are you referring to the Roger Miller museum? I did pass that though I had it on my GPS waypoint list. If so I'll stop there on my way back out West to finish the trip. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #39
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Enjoyed your trip down memory lane... great pics!! thanks for sharing them.
Thanks GB, appreciate your stopping in.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #40
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
Great pictures!

With so much to see and experience how many miles are you covering each day?
I didn't have any schedule just rode until I was tired and hungry and then found a place to eat and got a cheap room. Worked out well that way with no pressure to be anyway. Mileage would vary of course in OK I didn't get too far each day as there was so much to see, In TX I had less to see and with only 243 miles to go in that state I rode it and the part of NM in one day easily. I found it most enjoyable to not worry about the time.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #41
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
What a great trip! Really love your pictures of such interesting stuff. Thanks so much!
Thanks Cannonshot, probably not up to the Gold standard of your reports but I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
Brings back memories of my 2009 trip be sure to do the dirt past Glen Rio Tx into NM and hit the Curervo cut-off (Don't worry about the barricade, it is relatively easy). Have fun and ride safe!
OH, I saw the barricade and just turned around and backtracked I'll pick that portion up on my way back to NM Thanks!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #42
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Are you referring to the Roger Miller museum? I did pass that though I had it on my GPS waypoint list. If so I'll stop there on my way back out West to finish the trip. Thanks for the heads up.
No, we missed that one. Harley and Annabelle converted an old shop to a Rt 66 museum of sorts - mainly they sing "Get Your Kicks on Rt 66," and entertain for tips.
http://harleyandannabelle.blogspot.com/
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #43
rageabout
Say my name

Oddometer: 214
Route 66 Bar

Found this last weekend - route 66 bar about 30 miles west of Albuquerque where hwy 6 joins i 40. About 1.5 miles south on 6. The old route 66 road bed runs past the bar.

rageabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #44
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Thanks Cannonshot, probably not up to the Gold standard of your reports but I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

OH, I saw the barricade and just turned around and backtracked I'll pick that portion up on my way back to NM Thanks!
This gives an idea of what the cut-off looks like:
Cuervo Cut-off of Rt 66 in NM

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #45
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslaw View Post
No, we missed that one. Harley and Annabelle converted an old shop to a Rt 66 museum of sorts - mainly they sing "Get Your Kicks on Rt 66," and entertain for tips.
http://harleyandannabelle.blogspot.com/
Awesome, I did not know about them but I'll be sure to put it on my list for my next trip west on the Route. Thanks! By the way I had "look for Tin Lizzy" for Eric you know anything about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageabout View Post
Found this last weekend - route 66 bar about 30 miles west of Albuquerque where hwy 6 joins i 40. About 1.5 miles south on 6. The old route 66 road bed runs past the bar.
Cool, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
This gives an idea of what the cut-off looks like:
Oh yeah! Gotta do that. Thanks for the heads up.