User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #76
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

Oddometer: 1,761
Thanx David.

Yes I do, but it will be awhile (maybe a long while) before I can make time to work on the RR due to things IRL right now.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Shoganai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #77
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

So where was I?

Oh yeah, eleven months ago all kinds of things went pear-shaped.

It's leveled off enough I can share some time to work on this RR again.

Sadly, in 11 months, the clarity of the events has faded a little so if anyone sees where I missed something, please correct me.

Looking back on the morning I rode away from such gracious, engaging and beautiful people I realize how much I want to go back.

The ride to Marrowstone was relatively short and I was eager to hook up with Drake. I 'met' over on K11OG and I feel we hit it off pretty well. He has a quirky kinda humor and has always treated me like 'one of the guys'. His posts almost always made me smile.

I love when he rags on me about doing crazy things with my K11's.

Stuff like this.

It was just easier to get to all that stuff by doing it that way.

As I ride over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, I recall the images recorded from the 1940 TNB collapse.

http://youtu.be/j-zczJXSxnw

I know I'm going to straight hell for this but I swear I broke out into song.

Ain't it good
Ain't it right
That you are with me here tonight
The music playing
Our bodies swayin' in time
In time, in time, in time

Touching you so warm and tender
Lord, I feel such a sweet surrender
Beautiful is the dream that makes you mine

I stood up on the pegs and started bouncing and bobbing gently...I think the cars behind we were freaked a little, but not much.

In my loudest, off key helmet singing voice...

Mmm
Rock me gently
Rock me slowly
Take it easy
Don't you know
That I have never been loved like this before

Baby, baby
Rock me gently
Rock me slowly
Take it easy
Don't you know

By now I was dancing on the bike, head bobbing, hips swinging and shoulders rockin' and she was loving it!

Oh my darling
Oh my baby
You got the moves that drive me crazy
And on your face I see a trace of love
Of love, of love, of love
Come hold me close
Don't let me go
I need you, honey
I love you so
You were made for me by the stars above

Oh, rock me gently
Rock me slowly
Take it easy
Don't you know

As I was approaching land, a red car pulled up alongside, slowed up and rolled down the passenger side window. I sat right down and cut my eyes over expecting trouble.

They were laughing and given me the 'thumbs up'.

I gave them a big cheesy grin and waved back.

http://youtu.be/xxYJqagN8jM

I was 12 years old when that song was a hit and I can still remember singing it in my backyard while swinging on a home-made rope swing my Dad made.

37 years...a lot of water has passed under my own bridge in those 37 years.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter "- Dr Seuss
Old 09-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #78
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai View Post
Thanx David.

Yes I do, but it will be awhile (maybe a long while) before I can make time to work on the RR due to things IRL right now.
Well, we certainly can't accuse you of overstatement.

Good to hear from you again.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #79
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

And ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Well, we certainly can't accuse you of overstatement.

Good to hear from you again.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #80
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,129

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #81
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 720
Puke What a year it's been, eh?

Glad you're feelin' like yur back, Gwen! Just start with a word or two and the rest will flow...

Best wishes,

Rod
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #82
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

As I started to cross the isthmus onto Marrowstone I see what can only be my dear friend Drake, whom I'm meeting for the first time, standing by his beloved Kato.

We exchange some quik informalities and I give him a [fakehug/] *** inside joke *** then it's off to the cabin.

Flying Duck indeed!!! He was a quick little f'er and trying to get pics of him riding was like catch smoke with butterfly net!

Thank goodness for slow cars

But he quickly dispatched them and we were at the cabin in no time.

I knew the cabin didn't have running water but it had been 2 days since my last shower and that is the limit to which I no longer feel comfortable. Drake said there was a state park further down the road with showers so I unloaded my bike and rode there in street clothes, helmet, boots and gloves. I found the showers but the experience was unpleasant at best. I put my quarters in, push, get a minute of ice water followed by a minute of blistering hot. There seemed to be no way the regulate the temperature or rate of flow.

In the end, I was clean if not autoclaved and vowed I'd never come back there again.

When I got back to the cabin Drake asked if I want to go check the crab traps. Oh hell yeah!

We pour ourselves and couple of drinks, Scotch for him and absinthe for me and off we go...down to sea.

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way, where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

John Masefield

Ok..ok it's not a tall ship, but it a boat and I LOVE boats.
Drake goes over some safety things like where the life vests are and how best to move about the boat and we launch.

So I'd like to know where, you got the notion
said I'd like to know where, you got the notion

to rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
rock the boat, don't tip the boat over
rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
rock the boat.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #83
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 720
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #84
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

It was coolish and he loaned me blue pullover before we launched. I was grateful for it!

The softening light of our distant sun was filtered through the thin blanket of goose down clouds. The world felt small; like I could sense the curvature of the Earth between the clouds and sea.

The little motor's high pitched whirr at the rear and the slap, slap of the wave at the front created a strange and yet comforting rhythm as we puttered across the waters.

I let my fingers lightly drag through the cold water. Drank and I didn't say much.
We didn't have to.
Through years of cross-posting, PM's and phone calls we were as comfortable as really old friends.

It was evening and the winds calmed down. As the air became stiller and waters surface began to go to sleep.

As we approach the first trap, Drake directs me as ballast to position the boat where he needed it.

Now keep in mind, if you will, that I'm a South Carolina girl who spent many summers at Hunting Island State Park with my family fishing, cast netting for shrimp & mullet, gill netting for shark and makerel, crabbing and digging clams.

I know my southern seafood.

I recall once when I was castnetting for shrimp in the lagoon I pulled up a small jelly fish. No biggie, they're common in those waters are at certain times of the year. So I did what I always do, just fan the net in a s-like motion and they fall out. All at once every inch of exposed skin including my face, arms, mid-section and legs were on fire. All I could guess was the jelly fish was dead and when I fanned the the net it exploded.....and I was down wind!

I dropped the net and as the song goes I started hoppin' and fetchin' like my head was on fire and my ass was catchin'.

I used up the one bottle of Adolfs meat tenderizer and wish I had another.

I was also DONE with shrimping that day as well.

But when I saw the size of these crabs, I was astonished!

Not as astonished as when he reached in there, grabbed a big crab and tossed it back in the water!!

I thought 'what the hell!' as I watched with longing as it sank into the water.

Drake then explained that they have to be at least THIS big to keep.

Dear Odin, I think I just died and went to crabbing Valhalla!

Me - "Hello there my pretty-damn-tasty crustacean"
Crab - "I gave at the office"

And off we go to the next trap.

There were some "Hold my beer and watch this" moments as we traded off working the traps and crabs.

Drake has a great laugh and a quick smile that is yery endearing.

When we arrived at the third trap, Drake asked if I would pull it up.
Heck YEAH!

Did I say how much I love being on the water?
Nothing both calms and excites.

We stashed out crabs in a holding cage, puttered back to shore, then sat out on the deck until well past dark drinking, telling stories and laughing.

It was a very, very good day.

Shoganai screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 07:50 PM
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #85
Shoganai OP
Let's do some livin'

The next morning I needed to take a look at my rear brakes because they had been mushy for the prior three days.

Drake encouraged me to use Cato's Parking Pad.

The other thing I wanted to look at was the side stand. K1100RS's are well known for their remarkable lean angle, but this one seemed worse than usual.

I had contact Drake while in southern California about having a replacement side stand waiting for me when I got there.

While on the 50cc I began dreading having to stop and put it on the center stand at gas stations. Somewhere in east Texas wrenched my back lifting it and with every stop after that I had stabbing pain in my left lower back each time I lifted it.

I also had a block of wood on a string that I would have to fish under the foot pad before I set it down.

So it was like this at every stop: deploy the side stand, get the wood under the foot pad, dismount, lift it on the center stand, fuel, take it off the center stand WITHOUT letting the side stand touch the ground unless the wood was under the foot pad, mount and then using the string, reel in the wood block.

If I let the bike down without the wood block, the lean angle was so great and my legs so short I couldn't right the bike with me sitting on it.

So by the time I reached southern California I had had enough.

The side stand came off ok but I was stunned that there was NO difference between mine and the one Drake brought.

What the heck! So I just decided to put mine back on. I struggled with the damn thing. I really dislike working on the side stand. After trying several arrangements of parts and pieces with nothing working I finally realized I was missing a tiny spring.

You know what they say about Mother Earth, she just loves to swallow up small bike parts. If I dropped that spring into the leaves, I didn't stand a chance in hell of finding it.

But I had to try. The next 20 minutes was spent on my hands and knees sifting through the leaves and then through the wood pile next to the cabin.

Well damn!

I slumped back down next to the bike. I was calm on the outside but seriously stressed on the inside.

It was then I saw it..............IN THE BELLY PAN!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #86
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,241
Quote:
You know what they say about Mother Earth, she just loves to swallow up small bike parts. If I dropped that spring into the leaves, I didn't stand a chance in hell of finding it.

But I had to try. The next 20 minutes was spent on my hands and knees sifting through the leaves and then through the wood pile next to the cabin.

I hate it when that happens. BTDT

Quote:
I slumped back down next to the bike. I was calm on the outside but seriously stressed on the inside.

It was then I saw it..............IN THE BELLY PAN!

I love it when that happens.

Treadless is offline   Reply With Quote