User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
Crush OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
R100GSPD Mods

Hi All, I picked up a 93 r100gspd with 23k on it just before freeze-up here. I have an 01 1150gs so I am not new to the GS world. I am wondering appropriate maintenence and what the best mods are for this particular bike. I am looking for opinions on what other folks like or dislike about the mods done to their own bikes. I know it is best to ride the bike for a while before doing anything, but Old Man Winter has seen to it, that there won't be any two wheel riding for a while. Of course when riding season gets here, I don't want to spend time wrenching.
TIA, Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Post some pictures, tell us about the bike, what mods have already been carried out-that you're aware of, how do you intend to use the bike.......
bcostell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
BMWBILO
Snapperhead

Oddometer: 1,044
Laugh Pd

If it is still stock I would say a new rear shock, some stiffer springs
for the forks, maybe a fork brace. Also may think about a charging
upgrade and maybe a different exhaust or just eliminate the collector
box and ad a Y pipe to the stock exhaust.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
ducsingle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
In this order:

*Ditch the emissions hardware (free).
*rear shock
*Race Tech the front end

Trouble spots are the Valeo starter and driveshaft. You can rebuild the Valeo now with the newer style magnets or wait until your current one grenades. Search the archives for driveshaft info.

If you plan to run lots of electrical accessories simultaneously, an upgraded charging system is in order.

Not much bang for the buck in replacing the stock exhaust unless it's rusty.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Ditto

Rear shock, front suspension, also front brake upgrade and replace valeo starter with bosch starter. Have fun with your new bike.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,534
These guys have pretty much hit it on the head, suspension, and maybe brakes. Something that helps the front end more than a upgraded fork brace is a cnc'd upper clamp. The stock plate is useless. Again don't waste your time on exhaust unless it just needs replacement. HPN did beaucoup research on exhausts and couldn't improve on the performance of the stock, which includes the collector box. Someone has a adapter to put a later four pot Brembo on the gs 's which would be a nice upgrade to the brakes. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,620
Just put an Ohlins on my GS, and it's worth every penny. Also sold my Progressive front springs and reinstalled the stockers... The Progressives did make a significant positive difference (but I am going to install the gold vavle).

Do a search for "nissin" in this forum to find my post aboutr putting a GSXR caliper into your GS, cost me $85 in total to do the upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #8
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,721
It looks to me like you're just trying to find a way to 'bond' with the bike until daylight and warm weather returns. Everything that has been posted is good advice but I'd start with a good teardown--seriously.

Take everything off the bike: one piece at a time or strip it to the frame and start from the ground up. If you opt for the latter you can get the frame repainted and inspect for cracks in the subframe. It'll give you a chance to inspect, clean and regrease the steering head bearings, swingarm bearings and all the nuts and bolts that could strand you. Change the fork oil and if you're feeling like blowing a little cash, put fork seals on it while you've got the legs off. Separate the engine and transmission and grease the pilot bushing and splines on the clutch disk. That's regular maintenance but with the low miles you described, I'll bet it hasn't been done in 12 years. Clean and lube the clutch release lever and throw-out bearing. Lube all the cables. Lube the throttle housing. Clean the carbs. Set the valves. Consider replacing the driveshaft but at a bare minimum, clean and lube the splines. Replace the brake fluid. Replace the brake fluid (in case you didn't read the last sentence). Old brake fluid will destroy that master cylinder in short order.

As has already been mentioned, the Valeo starter is a known point of failure but the very first place to upgrade the electrical system is the diode board under the front cover. The ground harness, unsupported diodes and rubber mounts are the absolute first thing to fail. You can always bump start from a bad starter but a dead charging system will strand you.

I'm sure that you will discover other things along the way that will need replacing. That'll get you through the winter and you'll be rewarded with knowing every nut and bolt on the bike.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Well said Greg, lots of good info there. Most of us have probably had those problems if youve owned one long enough.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Crush OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Thanks for your input Greg, I think your advice is good. Bond with the bike? Maybe? More like I really don't like to work on any of my bikes during riding season other than oil changes and normal maintenence, and seeing that I am not familiar with airheads (yet), I am just looking for what to do to keep what problems I can prevent from showing up in the middle of a ride. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

It sounds like the RaceTech Gold Valve is a better way to go than replacing the fork springs, any thoughts on this? I really didn't plan to tear the bike all the way down to the bare frame, but if it needs it, I will do it. I already planned to put an Ohlins rear shock on, lube the splines, check the driveshaft, and do an electrical upgrade.

Thanks for all the response, I need all the help I can get.
Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote