ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
baybueller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Arizona living

I am planning to move to Arizona in 3 years and am doing some ground work.Just me and dont need starbucks or the opera. Looking at Dolan Springs area and would like any input locals would care to give.
Water haul is new to me but I could work with it. Internet would be good but getting a cell signal would be better. I respect the political climate in Az as I have been in Ca for some years and would like to get back to the real USA.
Of coarse I will be riding and the google earth shows I could spend years trying new trails.
Thanks for any input.
baybueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,089
hows about

Less than 1.5 hrs from Phoenix to the south and the heat, cactus, illegals & Mexico -- North 45min to Flag & an hour to the Grand Canyon --- add another seven hrs your in Moab---- I'm surrounded by Prescott, Kiab, Coconino & Tonto Natl forest , real estate starts at around 50k Best of all , riding all day,ever day, all year long---Forest rds double trac, single trac ,woods, rocks, sand, boulders, water crossings you name it its here.

Yea, PM me if you want to know where heaven is ---oh yea--- you don.t have to haul water either

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,065
Arizona has many beautiful places to live with any kind of terrain you want. Dolan Springs isn't one of them.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
You would be close to Kingman and closer to Las Vegas
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,385
I should keep my mouth shut, but I have to agree...the armpit of AZ. So many nicer places.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
baybueller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
I should keep my mouth shut, but I have to agree...the armpit of AZ. So many nicer places.
I guess the property prices should have given me a clue. Picked that neighborhood cause I will be traveling to Ca and Or, and I want nothing to do with living in a city.
I am also trying to keep the elevation down, I was suprised at how cold some of Az is.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
NAZDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybueller View Post
I guess the property prices should have given me a clue. Picked that neighborhood cause I will be traveling to Ca and Or, and I want nothing to do with living in a city.
I am also trying to keep the elevation down, I was suprised at how cold some of Az is.

Cold? Hell no. It's not cold up here in Flagstaff. I ride all year around minus a few storms we get before the snow melts. Daytime highs in the 40's all winter is awesome.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
No snow yet, still cruising the FS roads.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,065
Baybueler - Arizona really only has two population centers comparable to California. Those two are greater Phoenix and Tucson. Everywhere else is but a burg with plenty of micro towns on the fringes. What terrain and weather do you enjoy most?

South AZ; stretching from CA to NM is mostly Sonoran desert. It's very lush compared to the Mojave. There are a bunch of little towns to settle in, as it is largely agricultural. Just north of the 'valley' around the 5000' mark is the grasslands for cattle ranching. Prescott is the dominant town, but it is comfy small. Further north and east is the Mogollon rim country, which is alpine on top, and arid below. The Rim is what it sounds like. A rugged wall rising 1500 feet above the desert and grasslands.

Further north yet is the high desert and red rock country. It is mostly Navaho reservation, though.

I was moved to Phoenix from San Jose in the 1980's by my employer. Both my wife and I were smitten with the resort feel of the air and the desert beauty. 20 years later we split up in Boston and the first thing she did was move back to AZ!... to a town called Cave Creek. Sort of a cowboy town north of Scottsdale, but full of Midwesterners. She lets me store a trailbike there to visit and explore with. I expect to buy a condo in Scottsdale because I like a more urban environment these days. I'm into convenience and I don't want to have to drive a car to get anywhere. Arizona has that too!

You should rent a place for a week every year in a different part of AZ that interests you. You'll find your spot for sure. Maybe around Show Low or Alpine might appeal. Who knows, but it won't be along hwy 93 to Vegas.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

You should rent a place for a week every year in a different part of AZ that interests you. You'll find your spot for sure. Maybe around Show Low or Alpine might appeal.
Nice areas with lots of remoteness, but still many conveniences. Throw Payson in the mix too!
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
You should rent a place for a week every year in a different part of AZ that interests you. You'll find your spot for sure. Maybe around Show Low or Alpine might appeal. Who knows, but it won't be along hwy 93 to Vegas.
+1. Poke around the state a bit. See what you like and do not like before committing to any one area.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
baybueller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am taking the RV with bike attached the first of April for a few days of recon. I appreciate the input. As of now I am going off realty sites and google earth.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,988
Borne and raised in Kingman, did a whole-lot-o cowboying in those parts...... Would not go back for anything!!

As HTM says, this is where to insert the nossle for the bowel cleansing!!

WAY, WAY, WAY better places to live in Arizona!!

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #14
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,089
Big -E

Brother E, I beg to differ,

I would guess that you have never been to Hutchinson Kansas.

It's a well known fact that if the good lord decided to give the world a enema Hutchinson Kans would be the point of insertion.

In fact the best thing about Hutchinson , or Kansas for that matter is waving as you leave

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
baybueller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is starting to look like the north half has all the good stuff and some really cold winters. I can do hot but do not enjoy below freezing all that much. I might end up lower in the state and day trip for the riding. This whole move is about retiring and goofing off at will.