Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Forgot about this one I saw yesterday, another ADV'er & right there in CT already.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3098
tdvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
when you wrote that you wanted to buy a gas powered mountian bike so you could learn how to ride over rocks, I thought you meant something like this: http://www.motopeds.com/
Wow that little thing is cool, kind of pricey but would make a fun winter project.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/3400138573.html

SUZUKI DR 350 DUAL SPORT - $1800 (PUTNAM)

EXCELLENT COMMUTER. SUPER CLEAN DR 350. BIKE HAS BEEN BABIED ALL IT'S LIFE. MILAGE 6,028. NEW TIRES. ELECTRIC START. CURRENT CT REG.
ALL MANUALS AND FENDER BAG. FEMALE OWNED.SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY. CASH. 860-942-1021

Shit, if that DR was on the Left Coast I'd be tempted. Great bike for what you are looking for.
Play War Thunder, ultra-realistic WWII Air Combat game with other ADVers
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
walterpump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Never! At 42, my plan is to behave younger and younger every year

I ride on easy dirt roads all the time, then I find myself places I shouldn't be. I fall off, break things, turn my heavy bike into a submarine, then swear off it until I do it again

I've never hurt anything other than a few clutch levers and my pride. I figure its time to do it right. This year, I'd like to buy a gas powered mountain bike and teach myself to ride over rocks so I stop embarrassing myself. My plan is to buy a cheap, light bike that I can beat up then just throw it away and move into something else. At the least, I'd like to feel more confident on my heavy bike when hitting something dirty & slippery.

Soo, I'm looking for recommendations on a cheap, light street legal bike. I don't want much of an investment, but it'd be great if it was reliable enough to take on a weekend jaunt somewhere.

Wr250R seems perfect for my needs, but I can't find any cheap ones. Not sure how long they've been around. I'm thinking $2K max to purchase a bike. Old is fine by me.

If anyone wants to hand something down to a fellow southern new englander with some, uhh, pedigree, pm details!
Well, I am 71 yrs young and looking for my first off-roader. Looking for a DR200SE!!!
walterpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I'd say all the suggestions are good ones (XT, XR, XL, or DR's) but one thing to keep in mind with the criteria that was identified...

Small, light, and cheap....

Not sure you are really going to get a bike that meets all three of those requirements. I really feel strongly that if you are relatively new to the dirt, focus first on weight, and then price if possible. I'd strongly recommend you look for something like a street legal Kawasaki KDX200 or KTM 200 EXC. For quite a few more dollars, but a lot of value, look for a KTM 350 EXC.

The reason I suggest looking for a light bike, is that you WILL more easily adapt and learn to ride the dirt with many fewer get-off's. I have seen over and over again, new riders purchase a larger dirt bike and hurt themselves. Many times, that ends the dirt riding experiment and that is a shame since they really never became comfortable enough to get the the "enjoyment" part of riding the dirt.

The other thing to consider (speaking from experience), is that age is not just a mental thing. I am in very good shape, workout daily, eat healthy, and I still break bones, crack ribs, pull ligaments; and it ABSOLUTELY DOES take longer to heal than when we were young. Investing a little more money into a more dirt worthy bike is an investment in staying healthy.

Anyways, just my 2 cents....

2007 KTM 300 XCW

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
creaky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
How about a Honda CRF230F or CRF230L? There are quite a few used F models for sale around the country for less than $2K. Unfortunately, they are not street legal unless the PO has installed a lighting kit, etc. The L model, which is street legal, came out in '08 and can be bought used in the mid to upper $2K range. I have ridden two 230Fs belonging to buddies and was surprised at how well they rode, very nimble and enough engine to get the job done...and e-start to boot.
'96 XR400
"Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed!"
creaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
another nice ride would be the yamaha tw200. the only problem is they are so stable and easy to ride offroad it probably wont help you when you get the bigger bike. the good thing is you might just keep the tw for your main ride.
I believe Mr. Kubiak has your answer sir. I also ride a TW200,quite possibly the most overlooked bike on planet earth.......no kidding!.....also, a heavy bike will never be more comfortable,or should I say steady,than the lighter machine.Check out the TW200,chances are it will not become a "throw-away" bike at all.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #23
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
I believe Mr. Kubiak has your answer sir. I also ride a TW200,quite possibly the most overlooked bike on planet earth.......no kidding!.....also, a heavy bike will never be more comfortable,or should I say steady,than the lighter machine.Check out the TW200,chances are it will not become a "throw-away" bike at all.

Hmmmmmm
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #24
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,153
That DR350 is a no brainer

Personally, I would try to up my budget some and look for a plated KTM 400-450 EXC also...something in the '02-'06 range.
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/3486191625.html

When you get your bike, PM me and I'll take you riding out here (I'm 45 minutes away from you)

01 Girlie
09 TE450

bobnoxious67 screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 04:03 AM
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #25
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
That DR350 is a no brainer

Personally, I would try to up my budget some and look for a plated KTM 400-450 EXC also...something in the '02-'06 range.

When you get your bike, PM me and I'll take you riding out here (I'm 45 minutes away from you)
that does look badass, but it alo makes me look like like a poser I could stretch to $2900, and that would mean I probably wouldn't get upgrade fever after a few months. Probably a smarter decision.

Thanks for the offer. Some tips would be helpful. Come spring, I'll be ready.
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #26
tundra61
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
+1 on this advice. I am also in my 40's and still loving dirt bikes as much as I did when I was 10. The only difference for me is that now I realize that a light well suspended bike makes things a whole lot more fun and can compensate for the skills I failed to develop o er the past 30 years of riding.

Buy the best you can as defined by weight and suspension and overall mechanical condition You will never regret it and you will be thankful when you are picking the bike up on a trail.

Another 30 year lesson, buying a cheap poorly maintained bike will always cost you more money and frustration than you expect.

All that said, if you can get a light, well maintiained, well suspended bike for a low price - you will hit a home run.

If you plan to keep your riding to mostly paved and dirt roads, all the bikes mention on this thread will be good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post
I'd say all the suggestions are good ones (XT, XR, XL, or DR's) but one thing to keep in mind with the criteria that was identified...

Small, light, and cheap....

Not sure you are really going to get a bike that meets all three of those requirements. I really feel strongly that if you are relatively new to the dirt, focus first on weight, and then price if possible. I'd strongly recommend you look for something like a street legal Kawasaki KDX200 or KTM 200 EXC. For quite a few more dollars, but a lot of value, look for a KTM 350 EXC.

The reason I suggest looking for a light bike, is that you WILL more easily adapt and learn to ride the dirt with many fewer get-off's. I have seen over and over again, new riders purchase a larger dirt bike and hurt themselves. Many times, that ends the dirt riding experiment and that is a shame since they really never became comfortable enough to get the the "enjoyment" part of riding the dirt.

The other thing to consider (speaking from experience), is that age is not just a mental thing. I am in very good shape, workout daily, eat healthy, and I still break bones, crack ribs, pull ligaments; and it ABSOLUTELY DOES take longer to heal than when we were young. Investing a little more money into a more dirt worthy bike is an investment in staying healthy.

Anyways, just my 2 cents....
tundra61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #27
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,153
Don't worry about "looking like a poser"...that shit is for kids

01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #28
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,662
Buy!

Japanese whatever you do. Less problems and reliable. Maybe not as much performance but you arn't ready for that yet anyhow. That 350 would be a great bike for you.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #29
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,230
Wow how great & encouraging to see all the 70 year old,, or close responses. I think we need some kind of a ride/get together for all those 70 +
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

KTM EXC questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post

Alright, something like this seems perfect in lots of ways, but I have some questions mostly related to this particular ad.
-oil changed after every ride? Huh? Does that need to happen? Can't imagine. I definitely don't have what it takes for such a high maintenance machine if that is the case. However, buying a bike from someone that anal would be ideal

-Does it not come from the factory with a sidestand?

-Is this really a street legal bike? I assume he's removed turn signals (sidestand?) etc? Are those easy to come by? I'd need that for inspection.

I have no problem jumping through hoops to get a bike on the road. I do want a bike that I can easily ride on streets though. I'm not looking for something that needs to go in my truck. I wanna get on it and do some woops on the way to work without hurting myself or getting stuck (fortunately, my boss doesn't mind if I'm a little late to work)
1971 Lambretta DL