User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2005, 07:28 AM   #1
Nimzomitch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
RNK (Request for Knowledge)

Hi - I'm an ADV newb. I've been riding for 8 years, on a beat-up '78 R100/7. In the last month, I bought a 1998 K12RS (31k miles). This is my first modern bike. I would rate myself at @ 20% on the "wrench" scale. I can do basic maintenance, and have done more complex work with a little instruction and explanation.

I had an experience last night which puzzled me though, and I hope someone can enlighten me on the whys of it.

I stopped and filled up with gas on the way home from work. Drove a couple miles in the mid 50 degree weather, and pulled to a stoplight. The engine died. Started back up OK, and I was off. A little while later, pulled up to another stop, and the engine died. I thought wtf. It started back up just fine. The bike has never had these problems in the several hundred miles I have put on it. It normally idles at what looks to me like 1050rpm.

Can you tell me what the problem was? I fixed the cause of the problem...see below:

I had accidentally left the tank intake cover open. After I closed it, no more problem. I'm just not sure why it needs the cover closed...?
Nimzomitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
svennoly
Banned

Oddometer: 513
Vacuum?
svennoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
Nimzomitch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I guess. I just didn't realize it needed it that bad. lol Demonstrating my ineptitude, I know, but hey - gotta learn sometime. hehe
Nimzomitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,158
Modern vehicles require the vacuum...even my Jeep (2004 Wrangler) will have issues if you fill up and then leave the cap off. The "Service Engine Soon' light will turn on as well.

PP