User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 672
Number two

I have number two, NO real protection, jus looks good.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 162
SE windscreen thoughts

I have option #1... the 690SM screen.

It works pretty dang good for what it is. I wear a dual sport helmet, and the wind blast hits me on the screen of the helmet, getting all blast off the chest. The Icon Variant helmet will not win any wind tunnel tests, so I do get some head buffeting, especially when I turn my head or go above 70mph, but at least my torso doesnt feel like a parachute.

I have looked at the one that sanjoh offers, not so much for improved wind protection, but more for improved lighting. I have a couple auxillary HID lights I can mount on the forks, but IMHO, the best solution would be to get rid of the lame stock light & light assembly and put LED's controlled by a dimmer with a Lo/Hi option. I am currently evaluationg this. The stupid stock light always works "out of aim" and its poor light at that. I know people secure the adjustment screw, replace bulbs, etc, etc, but I would love to clean up the front with a better option for lighting, GPS mount, and so on. Pretty much I want it all, right. (Don't tell me to buy an ADV, I had one of those too.)

Sanjoh's screen looks decent with a swept-back angle that will likely improve clean air flow. I am also keeping my eye on Paul's site (Highway Dirtbikes) for his new fairing option that he is listing as nearly available. I know this is really for the KTM EXC's, but Im wondering if I can make it fit. I love the light tower he made that I could possiblely fitt to my BRP triple, & mount 2 controllable LED's with less power drain, far more light, and better wind protection. Hmmm... winter project, I suppose.

Hurry up Paul... I wanna see this rally fairing you are working on!
JRod152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod152 View Post
I have option #1... the 690SM screen.

It works pretty dang good for what it is.
Mate awesome info, yeah that pretty much concludes it, they look ok and provide a little bit of cover, that is all I want.

Can I ask how you mounted it up, difficult?, any closeup pics?

Really appreciate your input, trying to piece all this together for the new bike coming from Maine while we are in Lo de Marcos in Mexico.

Back the US Wednesday to get sorted
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #19
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,984
I just ordered a Cee Bailey screen; they have three different heights. I ordered the smallest one. Not very optimistic though I must admit.http://www.ceebaileys.com/ktm/ktm950..._endurows.html
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #20
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Mate awesome info, yeah that pretty much concludes it, they look ok and provide a little bit of cover, that is all I want.

Can I ask how you mounted it up, difficult?, any closeup pics?

Really appreciate your input, trying to piece all this together for the new bike coming from Maine while we are in Lo de Marcos in Mexico.

Back the US Wednesday to get sorted
Not sure if I have any close-up pics. If you look on the 1st page of this thread, there is a pretty decent close-up of the same screen.

I purchaed it from Munn Racing (KTM part #: 75008065044). Chip's a solid dude and they give great service & timely shipping for me here in KS.

Here is a link to the same screen on KTM Twins.

Its cake to install. I believe there are 4 or so phillips head screws that hold on the front mask (you dont have to take off the sides of the headlight assembly or headlight) Get the front mask off, use the provided template or just hold the screen to the mask where you want to mount it, mark, drill, insert rubber squishy thingies, tighten, slam it back on, and you're ready. If you want to keep the stock mask & decal un touched, order a new black or orange front mask when you order the screen, and your good to go. Then you can flip back and forth in 5 min.

I mounted it slightly higher on the mask so there is a little space b/w the top of the headlight & the screen. This gave a little more usable height on the screen. YMMV. The included rubber "nuts" expand as you tighten and have held the thing great in may rain storms, high winds, sustained 4th & 5th gear wheelies, and 100+ mph.

Couldnt ask for more for what it is, and as you mentioned, it looks the part. Good luck w/ your bike & trip. I'm jealous!
JRod152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #21
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,385
I know you said no to the Lynx $$wise but between the better lighting which you will likely find you need and the protection it isn't bad.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #22
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
I know you said no to the Lynx $$wise but between the better lighting which you will likely find you need and the protection it isn't bad.
We don't ride at night and Maya has Rigid Industries D2 LED Lights on BDCW LED Light Mounts so lighting is plenty.

Just want an economic screen to take a bit of the blast off.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote