Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 AM   #7666
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutaki View Post
Howdy I was changing the oil in my 2006 640 adv dropped the oil in the frame, the drain bolt which is got to when the spin off oil filter is removed. No probes oil came out. When it came to screwing the bolt back in. There was nothing to screw it to. I am very sure nothing fell out when I undid it. Nothing on the floor. I cheeked the oil I changed nothing there. I have looked in the parts manual there isn't any insert or bush. Dose anyone know what that bolt screwed to?
Are you sure you're trying to put the right bolt back in there? Unless the threads came out when you pulled it I can't imagine what happened. That would usually only happen with aluminum or magnesium though.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #7667
BLINKER 152
mudlover

Oddometer: 224
port orford, oregon

a bunch of KTM's and a 1950 PANHEAD
BLINKER 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #7668
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
I know this is a sign in thread, but it is time to say goodbye

Yup, sold my 640. The poor girl was just sit'n in my garage not getting used. The only dirt worth riding is 200-400 miles away, I got tired of the trips and decided to give up dirt bikes.

I did have lots of fun with her and she will be missed.

Enjoy your 640's, I sure did.

rad
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #7669
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
When it came to screwing the bolt back in. There was nothing to screw it to. I am very sure nothing fell out when I undid it. Nothing on the floor. I cheeked the oil I changed nothing there.
Under the filter, there should be 3 holes, oil in, oil out, one of which the filter attaches and the one that is there for your screw which I think is the smallest. I did the same thing.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #7670
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Howdy I was changing the oil in my 2006 640 adv dropped the oil in the frame, the drain bolt which is got to when the spin off oil filter is removed. No probes oil came out. When it came to screwing the bolt back in. There was nothing to screw it to. I am very sure nothing fell out when I undid it. Nothing on the floor. I cheeked the oil I changed nothing there. I have looked in the parts manual there isn't any insert or bush. Dose anyone know what that bolt screwed to?
Like mgorman says............the hole you want to insert the bolt into is in approximately the 8 o'clock position, if you are sitting on the bike.
Worst case is the threads are stripped out, then you will need to HeliCoil the hole.
That bolt has a very low torque spec (can't remember right now)........so check your manual for the tightening torque.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #7671
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,786
No way you stripped it, get a strong light and lay down, look up.
It is odd.

The bolt carries no washer and is an Allen head if i remember correctly.

Start it with your fingers, then snug it.

Fill the new filter with oil and tighten it in place.

I hate the little one even worse.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:19 AM   #7672
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by hAjPR View Post
Hi guys,

it's pleasure to announce this - after 3 long years w/o any bike in the house I purchased this baby:

'07 640A - looking brand new althought it's got 30k km on the clock. Quite a hard task to get one with low mileage for a reasonable price here in Europe...I got mine for about USD 5000. IMHO the best deal in the country! It's got some extras: ALU panniers, Hepco rails, Oxford heated grips, TT lights protection, bar risers, SW motech side stand and so...otherwise it' completely stock, no jetting mods, exhaust, restrictors or airbox...previous owner told me that it does not require any mods at all, stock is perfect...well, let's see after some riding time

I'll come back to you with some better pics soon!
sweeet ride! welcome on board neighbour
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #7673
givver
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hello ladies and gents.
I've been lurking on this thread for a while popping in and out trying to make a decision on which bike to purchase. And three days ago I picked up a 2007 640 adv. ( my thanks to creeper's list of things to look for, and meat popsicle's advice on thread "search" options ) The first open question I have is...Does anyone know where to find the LC4 manual that I've seen ppl referring to. I cant seem to find one online to either purchase or D/L. And if I have been staring at one this entire time (on this site) I'll apologise in advance. Nice kid, not to smrt
And when i figure how to post a pic I'll send it along aswell
Cheers
givver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #7674
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by givver View Post
Hello ladies and gents.
I've been lurking on this thread for a while popping in and out trying to make a decision on which bike to purchase. And three days ago I picked up a 2007 640 adv. ( my thanks to creeper's list of things to look for, and meat popsicle's advice on thread "search" options ) The first open question I have is...Does anyone know where to find the LC4 manual that I've seen ppl referring to. I cant seem to find one online to either purchase or D/L. And if I have been staring at one this entire time (on this site) I'll apologise in advance. Nice kid, not to smrt
Cheers
Givver, welcome to the neighbourhood.
You mean the LC4 engine's manual specifically, or the Owner's Manual? I can help with the last one.
Cheers!

liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #7675
liferider
Never It's enough

Hi mates.
Last month I have said goodbye to my mighty 640ADV 2006, and traded her for a 990.

Although I think i'm going to be happy with the new bike, it was not easy to say so long to the bike which introduced and took me into and through the long distance DualSport riding.
Since the very first day, she was gentle, tough and proud. She showed character, and was always strongly present the dirt soul of her... and I loved it. Unfortunately, I can't afford 2 bikes in the stable and I couldn't refuse a great offer for the 640.

Many many great rides, five years and 50.000Kms later, I let her go with a smile on her face.

Other aspect of this story is how I feel about the "KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index" and "KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please..." threads.
You guys have made me feel part of this community in an awesome way since the very begining. As I have said once or twice before along these years, It's still hard to believe how great is the general help will and the kindness of you inmates as a group. It's like meet you riding here or there... that's the spirit, that's what it's all about. Some of you may think "ok, big deal..." but the way this world is evolving... what you find here is just not usual anymore.

So... thank you guys for all your rider's friendship and help, and if I'm allowed to, I will keep myself lurking around just to see what's going on with you, your bikes and your trips. Not having a 640 anymore doesn't mean I can't go to the coffeshop to meet you anyway, does it?

Cheers!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #7676
givver
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Well I want to strip 'er down a little and clean the air box and filter as well as take a look at the carb bc she is draining a little and just wanted a little "flip to" refferance. And thanks for the welcome by the way..
givver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #7677
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by givver View Post
Hello ladies and gents.
Cheers
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...ual-98-a-35025

Giver, You should have received the owners manual and two parts books, one for the chassis and one for the engine. The owners manual is contained(I think) in the pdf above but not the parts books.

Go back to who you purchased the machine from and DEMAND the tool kit, parts books and owners manual. It's OK to be extreme in cases like this if you and your needs were not respected.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-07-2012 at 08:37 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #7678
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Hi mates.
Last month I have said goodbye to my mighty 640ADV 2006, and traded her for a 990.

Although I think i'm going to be happy with the new bike, it was not easy to say so long to the bike which introduced and took me into and through the long distance DualSport riding.
Since the very first day, she was gentle, tough and proud. She showed character, and was always strongly present the dirt soul of her... and I loved it. Unfortunately, I can't afford 2 bikes in the stable and I couldn't refuse a great offer for the 640.

Many many great rides, five years and 50.000Kms later, I let her go with a smile on her face.

Other aspect of this story is how I feel about the "KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index" and "KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please..." threads.
You guys have made me feel part of this community in an awesome way since the very begining. As I have said once or twice before along these years, It's still hard to believe how great is the general help will and the kindness of you inmates as a group. It's like meet you riding here or there... that's the spirit, that's what it's all about. Some of you may think "ok, big deal..." but the way this world is evolving... what you find here is just not usual anymore.

So... thank you guys for all your rider's friendship and help, and if I'm allowed to, I will keep myself lurking around just to see what's going on with you, your bikes and your trips. Not having a 640 anymore doesn't mean I can't go to the coffeshop to meet you anyway, does it?

Cheers!

Another jumps ship, at least you bought something that is becoming obsolete like the 640... I'm still waiting for a better ride to come along that suits my purpose... 2013 puts the 640 6 yrs into obsolescence and still nothing better has come along...

Why the bigger bike{990}, do you plan on 2 up travel or just like horsepower?

Will miss your input around here, maybe the new owner will take your place in Thumpers...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #7679
liferider
Never It's enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Another jumps ship, at least you bought something that is becoming obsolete like the 640... I'm still waiting for a better ride to come along that suits my purpose... 2013 puts the 640 6 yrs into obsolescence and still nothing better has come along...

Why the bigger bike{990}, do you plan on 2 up travel or just like horsepower?

Will miss your input around here, maybe the new owner will take your place in Thumpers...
Gunner, hi !
I was quite in the same status: in my case want an upgrade around 800cc, but nothing I really like there.

It's a fact the gap created by the 640 production stop. KTM doesn't show still today a single intention of covering it.
The 690 do part of the road, if you take it as a project, but the real thing in my opinion is that 800cc is the intermediate segment and KTM has no bike there, not even a published plan as far as I know.
And it's even worst: KTM has enlarged the gap announcing the 1190 which I asume defines an end for the 990 in the near future.

I have ridden the BMW F800GS, and although it's not a bad bike I have to say it's not exaclty what I would like for me.

Given all these points, the natural step for me was the 950/990, and suddenly I was offered to sell the 640 for big money. I think must there not more than 5 KTM 640 Adv in Argentina (lots of BMW 650 though... crazy snob people) and fortune brought me "the" buyer.

About your question: I do like horsepower and love the way a big monster like these 950/990 behaves offroad, but I have to recognize that it's quite too much for my use. The 640 never said "no" to anything I wanted her to do, only in windy trips with side cases, or above 3.000masl (9.800feet asl), she did it slower , but that's it.

Bottom line: nothing in between + once in a lifetime offer = KTM 990 Adv S

Thanks for your words mate.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #7680
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Does anyone have a set of Kouba Links floating around??
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote