Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
redge OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Italy: Can a Non-resident Buy and Driveca 50cc Scooter?

I know that one must be a resident to register and drive a more powerful scooter (e.g. 125cc), but can a non-resident purchase and drive a 50cc scooter? I'll be here for several months, and buying is attractive if it is an option.

Although I'm told it's done, I do not want to ask a resident to buy one on my behalf. As for licensing, I have a Canadian car and motorcycle license and an International Driver's Permit.
redge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Donmanolo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by redge View Post
I know that one must be a resident to register and drive a more powerful scooter (e.g. 125cc), but can a non-resident purchase and drive a 50cc scooter? I'll be here for several months, and buying is attractive if it is an option.

Although I'm told it's done, I do not want to ask a resident to buy one on my behalf. As for licensing, I have a Canadian car and motorcycle license and an International Driver's Permit.
Nope, not legally at least. To register under your own name you need to present a residence permit as a non EU citizen. (if you're staying for a few months I'd expect you have to get one of those anyway) .
There are some workarounds (buy-back agreements disguised as rental contracts) which a dealer might be able to help you with.

Donmanolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
redge OP
Adventurer

Thanks,

I just learned that a friend expects to become a resident within the next couple of weeks. Solves the problem.

Re your point about length of stay, I'll be leaving the country for 24 hours at the end of 90 days.

Cheers
Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Junglizt1210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Thanks,

I just learned that a friend expects to become a resident within the next couple of weeks. Solves the problem.

Re your point about length of stay, I'll be leaving the country for 24 hours at the end of 90 days.

Cheers
I don't know if Italy has any exceptions, but visitors to Schengen states, have a 90-day visa-free travel (assuming a Canadian passport has visa-free travel to Schengen states) out of 180 days. Once your 90 days are up, you need to leave and not come back for 90 days. If you intend on staying longer, you need to find some way of getting a visa/residency etc....

I'm *not* familiar with the rules, but I know that non-EU citizens who have visa-free entry to Schengen states have this limitation.
Junglizt1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Junglizt1210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Sorry if I'm not clear - what I'm trying to say, is, you can't just do a border run outside Schengen and come back. Not that simple :(
Junglizt1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
redge OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglizt1210 View Post
Sorry if I'm not clear - what I'm trying to say, is, you can't just do a border run outside Schengen and come back. Not that simple :(
Yes, I learned all about the Shengen rule shortly after my first post. I've decided to ignore it. I think that the odds of an Italian immigration officer going through my passport with a fine tooth comb on the way out of the country, and then arresting me, are close to zero.

What I don't understand is why most of the EU adopted this daft rule in the first place. As usual, the UK had the good sense to decline.

redge screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 01:39 AM
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:

What I don't understand is why most of the EU adopted this daft rule in the first place. As usual, the UK had the good sense to decline.
Yeah, what a great idea. Anyone who wants to enter the UK legally, let's say as a tourist on the Eurostar or aircraft, has to show a passport and may have to answer a few questions. I flew from France, my country of residence but I'm a US citizen, to Stansted airport in London. The immigration officer was polite but I had to submit to several questions. Looked through my extensive stamps in my passport, asked how long I planned to stay.....blah, blah.

On the other hand, any Afgan, Iraqi, or Senegalese, can stow away on a lorrie and even if caught in the UK, ends up staying as long as he wants, with the help of a complicit lawyer, claims asylum, lives on social services, etc. It helps if the individual has a dog or a love child because, god forbid, breaking up a family is a no-no.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
redge OP
Adventurer

I think that the UK didn't sign on to the Schengen agreement because the UK has a fair number of well heeled foreigners spending money there, and telling them to get lost for three months out of six would have been incredibly stupid.

Why Italy, which is bankrupt and in dire need of money, would sign on to this agreement is completely beyond me.

In any event, I'm being told that enforcement is (big surprise) selective. I'm not worried about it. If I get arrested while leaving Italy, for the crime of spending money here for more than 90 days, it will make an amusing story.

redge screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 12:25 PM
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Please keep this on topic, i.e. registering a bike.

If you want to discuss immigration policy, head down to C,S&M.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote