ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
It was really just the time/hassle factor of loading I was considering. Each ride we load and unload 4 times. Plus putting on and taking off gear. I'd say overall, all 4 times it probably takes 40 minutes to an hour extra of time in total. But, as discussed above the benefits of trailering for more dirt oriented riding are pretty clear.
Bikes in at the house, out at the trail. In at the end of the day out at the house. That is loading and unloading twice, your math is fishy. Also, gear up at the house in the morning and bring a change of clothes for the end of the day, that'll save some time and hassle.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
You left out the case where you damage the bike while riding (or damage yourself) and still need to get back home. Something to consider. You can also haul more tools in a truck than on your bike.

Personally, I don't want to own a truck right now, so I ride to where I'm going to ride, then ride, then ride back home.
This is why I trailer my bikes.. both plated to the trail almost exactly the same distance as the OP. We break way too many bikes on the trail, and then what do you do?
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
mikem9 OP
Wanderer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Bikes in at the house, out at the trail. In at the end of the day out at the house. That is loading and unloading twice, your math is fishy. Also, gear up at the house in the morning and bring a change of clothes for the end of the day, that'll save some time and hassle.
My math
1 bikes on trailer at house
2 bikes off trailer at trail
3 bikes back on the trailer at end of ride
4 bikes off trailer after arriving home

Gear - I normally put on riding pants, bike shorts, socks and jersey first thing, but haul MX boots, knee pads, chest protector, elbow pads etc. Then bring change of clothes for the ride home - (sweaty bike shorts not fun! :) )
Also load into the truck - extra chemicals (oil, lube etc) and extra tubes, and a pump.

Like most of you I have a quick system where I keep all my supplies & gear etc in carrying bins/crates in the garage.

This has been a good thread - sways me to keep doing what I've been doing and just be happy with the tradeoffs. Plus, I often ride with my two sons and that increases the chances of something breaking.

All this talk about riding makes me want to go riding!!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
ntm1973
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 76
I have thought about getting a more dirt oriented dual sport (ktm, husky, etc) but.......

I hate loading up, suiting up and then breaking it all down at the end of a ride. Then there is the issue of where to park and hoping your car/truck is ok when you get back. I much prefer just riding to the trails on my bike. The knobbies wear a lot faster but at 60 mpg, I am still way ahead of the game even if I replace a few more tires a year.

I also genuinely like riding my bike to where I am going. Find some nice back roads and even some trails on the way and a 1 hr trip to the trails isn't so bad.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #20
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer
 
outlaws justice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Watertown NY
Oddometer: 971
I have a gear box that goes next to the front wheel of the bike so once out to where I want to ride, I just change gear from Street to dirt and ride. I get to ride to and from and if I break the dirt bike I can still get it home and still get to ride. If I get hurt so bad I cannot ride I should be at the hospital anyway.

__________________
David
2005 KTM950 Adventure, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1991 Honda VFR750, 2004 Honda CRF250X, 2000 Buell Blast................
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
mikem9 OP
Wanderer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
I have thought about getting a more dirt oriented dual sport (ktm, husky, etc) but.......

I hate loading up, suiting up and then breaking it all down at the end of a ride. Then there is the issue of where to park and hoping your car/truck is ok when you get back. I much prefer just riding to the trails on my bike. The knobbies wear a lot faster but at 60 mpg, I am still way ahead of the game even if I replace a few more tires a year.

I also genuinely like riding my bike to where I am going. Find some nice back roads and even some trails on the way and a 1 hr trip to the trails isn't so bad.
What do you ride ntm1973?
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer
 
VxZeroKnots's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Durango CO
Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
My math
1 bikes on trailer at house
2 bikes off trailer at trail
3 bikes back on the trailer at end of ride
4 bikes off trailer after arriving home

Gear - I normally put on riding pants, bike shorts, socks and jersey first thing, but haul MX boots, knee pads, chest protector, elbow pads etc. Then bring change of clothes for the ride home - (sweaty bike shorts not fun! :) )
Also load into the truck - extra chemicals (oil, lube etc) and extra tubes, and a pump.

Like most of you I have a quick system where I keep all my supplies & gear etc in carrying bins/crates in the garage.

This has been a good thread - sways me to keep doing what I've been doing and just be happy with the tradeoffs. Plus, I often ride with my two sons and that increases the chances of something breaking.

All this talk about riding makes me want to go riding!!
Looks like a mere difference in semantics, carry on sir.
__________________
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
mikem9 OP
Wanderer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
I have a gear box that goes next to the front wheel of the bike so once out to where I want to ride, I just change gear from Street to dirt and ride. I get to ride to and from and if I break the dirt bike I can still get it home and still get to ride. If I get hurt so bad I cannot ride I should be at the hospital anyway.

[/IMG]
Cool setup!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer
 
outlaws justice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Watertown NY
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Cool setup!
Works when you push the corners hard as well!


__________________
David
2005 KTM950 Adventure, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1991 Honda VFR750, 2004 Honda CRF250X, 2000 Buell Blast................
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
scottrnelson
Team Orange
 
scottrnelson's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
Works when you push the corners hard as well!


Okay, now I'm impressed.
__________________
__Scott R. Nelson, 2008 KTM 990 Adventure, 2001 Honda XR650L, Folsom, CA
scottrnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #26
ntm1973
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
What do you ride ntm1973?

06 klx250s or dr650se although the dr doesn't see much hard trail riding since I got the klx. I do carry more tools than anyone I've ridden with. I pretty much always have wolfman enduro panniers on the bike to carry the extra crap you need if you are far from home. I have limped home with both a broken body and broken bike a couple of times.
ntm1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #27
mikem9 OP
Wanderer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
Works when you push the corners hard as well!


[IMG][/IMG]
Haha That's great!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
mikem9 OP
Wanderer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
06 klx250s or dr650se although the dr doesn't see much hard trail riding since I got the klx. I do carry more tools than anyone I've ridden with. I pretty much always have wolfman enduro panniers on the bike to carry the extra crap you need if you are far from home. I have limped home with both a broken body and broken bike a couple of times.
I do enjoy exploring country and mountain backroads, forest roads etc. at times. I can get to the mountains on all backroads. But, the EXC just doesn't feel that enjoyable to me on the street and there are the issues mentioned above if we are going to really ride the dirt areas hard. But, I can see the joy in a true dualsport bike and exploring and have thought a lot about getting one.

mikem9 screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 07:24 AM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #29
5 helmet 5 head
n00b
 
5 helmet 5 head's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 6
Broke my clutch lever off while being a badass (off-roading on a DT 125 R). Even though I don't carry anything but a mobile phone and wallet (i.e. zero tools or spares) I didn't view it as a problem and just hard shifted the bike home. The point is I was comfortable doing this because:

1) My bike has breakdown cover
2) The off-roading areas are within a 10 mile radius of my house
3) I don't give two shits about my bike
4) Did I mention I was a badass?

Would you be comfortable breaking your clutch lever off and not having a trailer nearby? Got breakdown cover?
5 helmet 5 head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #30
outlaws justice
Studly Adventurer
 
outlaws justice's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Watertown NY
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 helmet 5 head View Post
Broke my clutch lever off while being a badass (off-roading on a DT 125 R). Even though I don't carry anything but a mobile phone and wallet (i.e. zero tools or spares) I didn't view it as a problem and just hard shifted the bike home. The point is I was comfortable doing this because:

1) My bike has breakdown cover
2) The off-roading areas are within a 10 mile radius of my house
3) I don't give two shits about my bike
4) Did I mention I was a badass?

Would you be comfortable breaking your clutch lever off and not having a trailer nearby? Got breakdown cover?

Yes, I broke off my Clutch perch on my old XR250 10 miles into some single track when the bike fell over while I was stopped to help an AV that was stuck. Just speed shifted on the up and tried to match RPM.s and speed for the down shifts, was a hard ride out not being able to ride the clutch so had to be extra careful, but it can be done and I am sure there are many here who have.
__________________
David
2005 KTM950 Adventure, 2007 BMW K1200GT, 2005 Yamaha Vmax, 2005 Suzuki SV650S, 1991 Honda VFR750, 2004 Honda CRF250X, 2000 Buell Blast................
outlaws justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014