Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #4036
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Wonderful updates yet again Mark . My coffee tastes so much better when glaciers are involved . Thanks again for sharing your experiences with us!
What he said!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #4037
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Meet Chuck and his sons who are from Seattle!! They are down riding for a few weeks finishing up some places they missed after a 2009 ride!

Pleasure meeting you guys. I will be in touch!

Chuck is a very lucky man getting to ride w/ his boys. They'll tell his great, great grand children about riding motorcycles w/ their dad.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #4038
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Chuck is a very lucky man getting to ride w/ his boys. They'll tell his great, great grand children about riding motorcycles w/ their dad.
!! You are exactly right!! I was thinking the same things when I met them. Made passing comments to that effect! Very lucky and blessed but i could see it in his face!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 04:47 PM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #4039
Radioman OP
Moto rider

*** Something simple you can do for a child with Cancer

**** Break from my ride report***

A good friend messaged my about her granddaughter who is a very young girl with Cancer

She asked me if I could ask my online friends to do a simple thing. Send a postcard to her granddaughter that has cancer.

Pray, send good thoughts and send a postcard from wherever you are with a simple note to encourage her and the family.

My request!!, and I just bought some postcards in Patagonia Chile . Write a simple comment to Reese and draw ADV (oval ) around it or something like RADIOMAN is wishing you well.......

So sad to see young children and there families dealing with Cancer and all the realities of suffering, loss and death.

Lets share some love and encouragement!!

Thanks for your help!! Radioman

Send postcard and words of encouragement to Reese and her family!

Reese
Box 356
Wylie, TX 75098

Family Web site

http://www.thisyearslovewilllast.com...f-my-life.html

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 06:01 PM
Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #4040
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,086
done

Done deal dude!!!

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #4041
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Done
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #4042
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,135
Done
Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #4043
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Thanks to anyone who takes a minute to do this!!

I will get mine in the email soon!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #4044
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 27,379
You bet Mark ...
Done !!!!

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm

LadyDraco screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 05:50 AM
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #4045
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
I will get mine in the email soon!
Me too, but I have to wait a day or two for a particular card to be in stock.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #4046
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,848
First thing, after I get off the computer, card will be on the counter for mail tomorrow...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #4047
Radioman OP
Moto rider

El Calafate to Torres Del Paines National Park

We stayed at a great place in El Calafate. My style of travel has changed with the time I have spent with my new friends from New Zealand. But it is great for me and still within my personal budget. and it is great to be able to splurge a bit at this stage of the ride!!

Ken and I shared one of the cabanas and it had a living room, kitchen, and two separate rooms. They brought breakfast to our room!!

We headed south again on Ruta 40 to Esparanza (gas stop) as the one on the "cut off" road does not have fuel and there is no fuel in the National park.

In Esparanza, we got gas and went across the street for a coffee, and several tour buses where there. Diana was holding court with some of the interested passengers! They were amazed that Dick and Diana and Ken and Shirley were riding Alaska to Ushuaia on bike!! (while all of them were stuck on a tour bus!) Great going you guys!

We turn off the Ruta 40 and head to the border crossing into Chile and Torres Del Paine park.

First check out of Argentina

A bus had arrived just ahead of us, so the immigration guys flagged us over to an outside window, stamped our passports and directed us to Aduana. Took just 15 minutes and we were back on the bikes riding down the gravel road to Chilean border crossing and Aduana.

Inside it was busy with bus travelers, but all well marked Chile Entrance and Exit windows, and same for customs.

Had a good chuckle at the bathroom signs. Google translate?

Heading northwest into the park. Had extra fuel with us that I needed as fuel was down in Puerto Natales but that is 100 Km away, and we did not want to have to come down and back!

More Guanaco along the road. They can spit really far!

Just a small glimpse of the mountains as we ride into the park.

We ride into the Hotel Torres which is the prime spot for seeing the huge mountains and rocks that are the main attraction. It was real cloudy and we decided to splurge instead of camp. After we unloaded the bikes, it started to rain!!

Note: staying within the park at any hostel or Hotel is really expensive like it is in the US national parks. They also have fancy food, that was expense, but we enjoyed it!!

BBQ lamb

We parked our bikes right next to the building.

Hoping for a little break in the weather so we can see the mountains tomorrow as we ride through the park.

Radioman screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 12:02 PM
Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #4048
GSpot1200
Animal

Oddometer: 154
I Love The Mountain!!!

Almost as much as I am digging your report!
GSpot1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #4049
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Christel from Terra Luna took some photos of us while we stayed in Puerto Guadal!! She was great and we had fun staying there!! Thanks Christel

Packed up to leave. Team KIWI.

As we took photos near the front office in front of there funny sign..... it was worthy of a Jump

And Christel encouraged Dick and Diana to do the "radioman" jump

and then riding up the driveway!! Good memories!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #4050
Radioman OP
Moto rider

Torres Del Paine

The rain continued in the evening and it was good to look out from a warm dry room! Not too much for camping in the rain.

Next morning the clouds stayed low. We took our time getting ready to leave, and hoped for clearing

They were rounding up the horses in the morning so that the tourists would be ready for horseback riding.

As we were getting ready to head out, some hikers walked by and we said hello. The guy looks at me.... Say we know you. We met at the Hotel pool in Tupiza, Bolivia! It was Ellen and her husband (forgot his name) from Belgum!! They had just hiked up the "W" trek to see the mountain with two french women who turned out to be doctors, and had helped a man who had broken his ankle while hiking in the mountains!! The saved him lots of pain and set his ankle before rescuers arrived to carry him out!!

They had fun on the bikes...

Ken answering questions about his bike and trip!!

Our french Doctors (Clare and Adaile) who are heros for spending there hike helping the injured hiker!

And we had fun sharing our bikes!!

We rolled out of this part of the part but did not ever get a good view of the mountains above

Bit of washboard through the park. All the roads here are gravel.

We took a bit of a stop and caught a glimpse of these spectacular mountains. Just a tease, as it never cleared....... But I will be back in a month or so and hope to see it with blue sky!!

We all wanted to get a photo of the Majestic scene...

We headed south as the weather was just not the best to see the park or camp. Threading our way through Guanaco, Cows, and other animals in the park

After 40 miles of gravel we were out of the park and back on tarmac.

We were riding through the valley with snow covered peaks on our right side!

Had to check out my rear rim, as Ken thought it had a wobble, but was just the dust and gravel on the road...

Ken needed to air up a low tire ..... Tried at the service station, but then ended up doing it on the side of the road!

The view from our deck. It was a spectacular view!! Ken and I enjoyed a few hours watching this !

Took a little walk through town

and look who I run into!! Jordan and Anne who I last saw in Lima!! They rode to Ushuaia on there KLR and were about to catch the Navimag to Puerto Montt !!

and a look out on the Hot tub at the Hotel.

Bikes all covered up for the night!

We headed out to another great dinner. Diana enjoying a Pisco Sour! We laughed very hard before dinner arrived!

Then the fantastic steaks arrived!!

Of course Diana takes cuisine shots like I do!

Another great day as we ride south. We are now less that 750 Km to Ushuaia which will be a two day ride. It is amazing to think that I started 17 months ago headed south, and am just about to reach this point.