User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
Square top air filter cover types.?????

From time to time I see variations in the intake horn sizes of the Air filter intake horns and am curious if BMW experimented with this for reasons perhaps known here on the forum, or if it was just the various housing manufacturers ideas filtering through. Anyone come up with any answers on this one? See photo below.
Cheers.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory" (Joe Garcia)
Check us out on facebook at "BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
I've seen smaller horns on R65's, could that be it?
Maybe people have played around and mixed horns?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,494
A mix of one large and one small horn is said to reduce a flat spot in the midrange of 980cc engines
There was a mod drilling 4 holes around the lip of the horn that addressed the same issue.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
AliBaba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I think the mix was used for bikes with 32mm carbs and two large horns were used for bikes with 40mm carbs - but there are exceptions.
AliBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
tofgasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
For what I've seen, R65 have 2 small, R80, monolever 1000, 100R and 100G/S one of each, and other R100 two large.
tofgasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,580
All the bikes have one large and one small horn except for the big port models (40mm carbs). A lot of people put the two large horn tops on the models that came with one large/one small but all it does is kill mid range. After camming and carbing my small port R100, two large horns still killed my mid range. Since then I have raised compression, dual plugged, larger intake valves and did a lot of port work. Now my mid range is better with no top whatsoever and shortened stock velocity stacks to just inside the box.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
The stock airbox in my opinion is best with a stock motor. When you change the carbs, compression, cam, ignition, and exhaust, the standard unmodified airbox is the pimple on the ass of progress.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
The stock airbox in my opinion is best with a stock motor. When you change the carbs, compression, cam, ignition, and exhaust, the standard unmodified airbox is the pimple on the ass of progress.
After raising my compression quite a bit, bigger intakes, port work, dual plugging, and remapping my ignition curve, the stock box was a huge pimple on the ass of my progress. With just a cam, sport mufflers, and carbs, my bike ran a LOT better with the stock airbox over setups that now work MUCH better after the above further mods. My advise is to hog things out JUST enough. Too much kills any setup. I have put the stock airbox back on many a stock OR slightly modified bike for a much happier customer many times over. Opened up airboxes and bigger jets are just going to hurt performance unless your engine actually needs them. Hogging stuff out IS the road to better performance but I have seen SO many bikes tuned to a stand still in my life for being hogged out too far here or there for what the setup really calls for. An engine ever so slightly hungry for more works SO much better on SO many levels than one that is getting spooned too much! It's a fine line!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,332
2 Small horns on a 1981 R80G/S. Standard.

I think you'll find the size of the horns is related to the amount of maximum air a motor breaths. Simple really.

As always some people thing bigger is better and just like carbs they put things on that are too big and loose performance to gain status.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Dmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
After raising my compression quite a bit, bigger intakes, port work, dual plugging, and remapping my ignition curve, the stock box was a huge pimple on the ass of my progress. With just a cam, sport mufflers, and carbs, my bike ran a LOT better with the stock airbox over setups that now work MUCH better after the above further mods. My advise is to hog things out JUST enough. Too much kills any setup. I have put the stock airbox back on many a stock OR slightly modified bike for a much happier customer many times over. Opened up airboxes and bigger jets are just going to hurt performance unless your engine actually needs them. Hogging stuff out IS the road to better performance but I have seen SO many bikes tuned to a stand still in my life for being hogged out too far here or there for what the setup really calls for. An engine ever so slightly hungry for more works SO much better on SO many levels than one that is getting spooned too much! It's a fine line!
Where is the "LIKE" button?
I have the same opinion, but i didn't do much on (engine) tuning this bikes.
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Thickasabrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Horn Size

On our 1986 R65 there is a large one on the right side and small one on the left.
Thickasabrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Same on my 86 R80 G/S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickasabrick View Post
On our 1986 R65 there is a large one on the right side and small one on the left.