Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #256
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
I give torque more consideration than hp.I like slow rides,more time to react to undesirable situation(s) and I take in more of the surroundings;one of the main reasons I like my TW200....and, it will go anywhere.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #257
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
I give torque more consideration than hp.I like slow rides,more time to react to undesirable situation(s) and I take in more of the surroundings;one of the main reasons I like my TW200....and, it will go anywhere.
Given enough time.

My 1150 isn't very fast in the woods either, but if I have to roll up the slab at 80+mph to get home, the capability is there.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #258
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

If 80 is your thing....have fun,just don't get caught.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #259
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,479
Quote:
If 80 is your thing....have fun,just don't get caught.
If you can't run 80 around here you'll get ran over by a school bus that's our speed limit
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #260
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,300
There's no one correct answer to this question.

If you want horsepower thrills, then a small bike isn't going to do it for you. But a small bike will teach you a lot about apex speed since you can't simply twist the throttle to instantly get back all that hard-won speed you just shed coming in... and if you want "scary", any bike can be made to corner "scary" fast really cheaply by adjusting the nut holding the handlebars

Some people want to go fast in the dirt and are prepared to go slower on the highway to achieve it. Others won't give up highway speed and comfort for dirt prowess. Neither is wrong, it is what it is. For me the breaking point is that I can get the smallest of small dual purpose bikes along the highway, but there are lots of places I can't or simply won't take a big bike on the dirt. Getting hopelessly stuck or missing out on the interesting stuff 'cos you would get stuck is a bigger disappointment than taking it slow on the highway. YMMV.

As to the big bikes/GSs off-road... as they say hereabouts, "you need a row of enduro trophies on the garage shelf and decent knobblies fitted"... just like the fellahs in the brochures. Experienced road riders who are dirt n00bs on cut slicks need not apply.

BTDT, lived to tell the tale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

warewolf screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 10:28 PM
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #261
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Adventure bikes are perfect if you do 95% of your travel on pavement and are willing to slow down and take it easy on smooth, graded dirt and gravel roads. But if your off road conditions are more challenging than that they are not the ideal tool.

In reality most of us would need to travel to far flung remote locales to encounter dirt roads you could actually travel any distance on or go from point A to point B and then to point C. In the populated parts of North America the only dirt roads are the less traveled, tail ends, of remote rural roads that dead end. Where I ride I have yet to encounter a dirt road that is longer than a few kilometers, any dirt road over a kilometers is extremely rare.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #262
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
There's no one correct answer to this question.

If you want horsepower thrills, then a small bike isn't going to do it for you...

....For me the breaking point is that I can get the smallest of small dual purpose bikes along the highway, but there are lots of places I can't or simply won't take a big bike on the dirt. Getting hopelessly stuck or missing out on the interesting stuff 'cos you would get stuck is a bigger disappointment than taking it slow on the highway. YMMV.

Yep, my approach agrees with this... If I can go in traffic, that is all I need if I have a bike that I can just head off most any place offroad/ on dirt.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #263
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
Adventure bikes are perfect if you do 95% of your travel on pavement and are willing to slow down and take it easy on smooth, graded dirt and gravel roads. But if your off road conditions are more challenging than that they are not the ideal tool.

In reality most of us would need to travel to far flung remote locales to encounter dirt roads you could actually travel any distance on or go from point A to point B and then to point C. In the populated parts of North America the only dirt roads are the less traveled, tail ends, of remote rural roads that dead end. Where I ride I have yet to encounter a dirt road that is longer than a few kilometers, any dirt road over a kilometers is extremely rare.
True for many. For me, I can hit dirt roads at the edge of town and go hundreds of miles on mostly dirt roads.Not personally into riding slab anymore, so I prefer a capable dirt bike but great if anyone else likes something different.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #264
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Adventure bikes are perfect if you do 95% of your travel on pavement and are willing to slow down and take it easy on smooth, graded dirt and gravel roads.
riiiight.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #265
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I sold my XT225 for a DR650...
I love my DR and intend to keep it, however for me as a newer rider (especially dirt), it is more fun to be able to ride to the limit of the bike (XT225), than to push the limits of the rider (DR650).

I will very likely be purchasing another smaller bike in the future, though my DR has done everything I have asked of it.
imprezagm4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #266
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,326
Quote:

That sucks,here in nor cal we can hit a dirt road 20 miles out of town and with some knowledge can go 140 miles to Nevada on 95% dirt roads/trails,then one can cross Nevada in all dirt/gravel and into south eastern Oregon and cross it on big fast gravel/dirt roads then go on into Idaho where things can get real interesting in all sorts of directions,dirt and gravel backroads for as far as a person can find time to go. Then of course Utah isnt far once you get out that way and its another off road paradise,Moab,etc. Colorado can be reached from here on mostly all dirt as well,just gotta map it out.
Thousands and thousands of miles of backroad dirt travel. Then there are the 400 miles or so of local singletrack to ride on the 2 strokes. I guess Im luckier then I figured living here.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #267
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
If you can't run 80 around here you'll get ran over by a school bus that's our speed limit

80mph is Texas posted speed limit.....WoW,no secondary roads.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #268
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
80mph is Texas posted speed limit.....WoW,no secondary roads.
Very few that are worth a crap within an hr of freeway/highway riding. And it's posted 80 outside of townships on interstate and state highways. 85 from Ft.Stockton to ElPaso.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #269
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Very few that are worth a crap within an hr of freeway/highway riding. And it's posted 80 outside of townships on interstate and state highways. 85 from Ft.Stockton to ElPaso.
Shit, I once pulled a GPS indicated 130 between Guthrie and Lubbock for at least 20 miles a couple years ago. This was loaded for an XC trip where we camped most nights. My riding partner on her ST1100 saw 139. Neither of us were on the interstate.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #270
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Shit, I once pulled a GPS indicated 130 between Guthrie and Lubbock for at least 20 miles a couple years ago. This was loaded for an XC trip where we camped most nights. My riding partner on her ST1100 saw 139. Neither of us were on the interstate.
exactly my point.

Gotta be able to stretch legs around here.