User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #3541
markplace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Question Hanging high idle

(This was posted already to another group and copied here)
Ok, I need some help with my 93 DR650. It has an aftermarket tm38 85a (Bored to 41mm) flatslide carb on
it that has worked well for quite a few years. It has a cut out in the airbox, and a stock exhaust. Just recently something changed after a week long ride where it won't idle down from 4000 rpm unless I stall it down with the clutch or over richen the air screw which creates a bit of black smoke. I have done a complete overhaul on the carb, including all new gaskets, jets, needle valve, and o rings. No change. New manifold and o ring. No change. New exhaust gasket. Again, no change. Went through the fuel system, replaced hoses. I tried spraying the starter fluid all over, (got a bit high) and couldn't find an air leak. My thoughts are going towards a defect in the air filter or the float level is too low. I don't know, I'm guessing. Since I've had it, it has run a bit rich. Now it runs apparently lean and bogs out or seems flat at full throttle. Anything I missed? Using a witch doctor maybe? BTW the slide is not stuck. It works fine. Tried to explain that to the service tech at the local Suzuki shop. "It's not that, can we move on please?". He wasn't very helpful unless I dropped it off for a week to do everything I already did.
markplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #3542
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,922
Does this carb have the "vacuum break" diaphragm in the slide?
If so, you might try replacing that part.

There quite a bit of info on "hanging idle" at Thumpertalk in the DRZ400 forum when using the flatside carbs.

If your slide (not familiar with that particular model) has the small wheels on the slide, check your carb body for grooves worn into it by the wheels.

Depending on how good you are at air filter maintenance, these carbs do get worn in that area and it's usually seen first with either hanging idle or the inability to get the idle mixture set because air leaks around the worn slide and keep varying the air flow.
Ladder106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #3543
markplace
Adventurer

Thanks Ladder106 (are you a fellow truckie?) I'll check out Thumper talk. I didn't see one of those diaphragms in there. When I had it apart, I looked at the slide and only found a tiny bit of wear in the anodizing in some of the lower corners of the slide. Is that enough change the mix? The air filter is almost new and it didn't change after a thorough cleaning. It might come to just buying a new carb. Sudco sells the same one for $180. Cheap considering what a shop will charge just to look at it.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #3544
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Quote:
(are you a fellow truckie?)
Yep. Metro Fire in Sacramento

The main thing I learned about flat slide carbs in big singles is that at low throttle opening, when the return spring is at it's weakest and intake manifold vacuum is at it's highest.....and the slide is worn.....the vacuum pulses can hold the slide against the carb body and prevent the slide from closing all the way.

I don't think your carb has the diaphragm but the FCR uses it to help "break" the vacuum at idle and returning to idle.

You might just try stretching the return spring a bit
Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #3545
markplace
Adventurer

I'll try stretching the spring. It's pretty stout already. After looking on thumpertalk the only conclusion I could draw was to get a new carb and start at the beginning.

I saw some of your pipe band guys last year at Colorado Springs for the memorial. I work on Ladder 12 in Seattle.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #3546
drakenstein
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Balancer chain help.

New to advrider, Need some opinions on a balancer chain making a whining noise. I just got my 91dr650 out of the shop and the had replaced the cam chain and clutch and a few other odds and ends. When i pick it up they tell me that the balancer chain was making some noise so they went ahead and checked it and said it had some wear and would probably need to be changed in the next 10,000 miles but it was still in spec and that they tightened it up. Now though its whining like it could be too tight or something, Im wondering that if i ride for awhile will just loosen up and be normal or should i look into taking it back or to another shop.

thanks all.
drakenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #3547
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakenstein View Post
New to advrider, Need some opinions on a balancer chain making a whining noise. I just got my 91dr650 out of the shop and the had replaced the cam chain and clutch and a few other odds and ends. When i pick it up they tell me that the balancer chain was making some noise so they went ahead and checked it and said it had some wear and would probably need to be changed in the next 10,000 miles but it was still in spec and that they tightened it up. Now though its whining like it could be too tight or something, Im wondering that if i ride for awhile will just loosen up and be normal or should i look into taking it back or to another shop.

thanks all.
Yep...probably too tight.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #3548
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Restoration complete!

Finally road worthy, registered and mobile!

Have traveled less than 20km and have already been pulled over by the police! I disappointed him though. Young turds have been racing around the streets here on unregistered MX bikes and quads and he thought I was one of them

Just a couple of things left to do:

Modify the barkbusters slightly because they hit the screen before full lock.
Mount driving lights
Decided what luggage to buy and make appropriate racks
Adjust the headlight. It is shining up in the trees looking for possums
Ride the sh!t out of it

Jetting seems to be ok, except for slightly lean on the pilot jet. When backing off it wants to hang slightly and doesn't return to idle quickly.

The Powerline muffler is a bit louder than expected. I will have to keep the throttle under control when riding around town

Time for a Hopefully I wont

Cheers,
David.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #3549
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie View Post
Finally road worthy, registered and mobile!

Have traveled less than 20km and have already been pulled over by the police! I disappointed him though. Young turds have been racing around the streets here on unregistered MX bikes and quads and he thought I was one of them

Just a couple of things left to do:

Modify the barkbusters slightly because they hit the screen before full lock.
Mount driving lights
Decided what luggage to buy and make appropriate racks
Adjust the headlight. It is shining up in the trees looking for possums
Ride the sh!t out of it

Jetting seems to be ok, except for slightly lean on the pilot jet. When backing off it wants to hang slightly and doesn't return to idle quickly.

The Powerline muffler is a bit louder than expected. I will have to keep the throttle under control when riding around town

Time for a Hopefully I wont

Cheers,
David.
Thats a beautiful bike.Congrats.Don't forget to post some trip reports.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #3550
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Thats a beautiful bike.Congrats.Don't forget to post some trip reports.
Lookin' real good!! Better than new even!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #3551
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Very nice, indeed !

Another great bike we never got in the US.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #3552
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Great thread had to say hello so it's easier to find it again! Full of all the info I needed :). Now back to page 1

APJ757 screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 09:25 AM
APJ757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #3553
zamram
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
what model is my 92 dr650

How can I tell what model my 1992 bike is. I think there is an 650s and 650se. The tag on the yoke is worn off so that doesn't help. If this helps it is white with red and blue writing and a blue seat.

Thank for any help
zamram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #3554
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamram View Post
How can I tell what model my 1992 bike is. I think there is an 650s and 650se. The tag on the yoke is worn off so that doesn't help. If this helps it is white with red and blue writing and a blue seat.

Thank for any help
Decode the VIN or look for the factory sicker usually under the seat.The last one may not pertain to the DR.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #3555
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
94 Dr650 exhaust

Anybody fit a muffler from other bikes to our pre-96 Drs? I can't find anything but the ebay CZR.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote