Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #31
RGregor
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I've never seen an open oil ring like that. It seems like you'd get some accelerated wear where the oil ring enters the grooves on both sides of the wrist pin. Is he using a normal 70.6mm stroke? Longer rods or shorter barrels?
I don't regard that open ring as a good idea, too.
Stroke is stock, rods are 148mm long, so that the piston stays completely outside the crank case.
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #32
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
Is there no teflon or aluminum button behind the oil ring?
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #33
RGregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
Is there no teflon or aluminum button behind the oil ring?
According to the owner there is some kind of button to stabilize the ring and to prevent it from rotating.
Never seen it or an image of it.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #34
tofgasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
It's certainly a small pin in the ring groove, like what can be found on 2strokes pistons.

See more here :
http://twostrokemotocross.com/2012/0...-locating-pin/
tofgasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #35
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,421
The gasket surfaces don't only seal the combustion chamber and crankcase. They also seal the rocker arm oil and oil return in the pushrod tubes. Therein is the trouble. I have worked on race bikes with that ring setup. They ran like scalded apes for the longer rods. What I don't know is if it is better to go that route or just two rings.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #36
RGregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
The gasket surfaces don't only seal the combustion chamber and crankcase. They also seal the rocker arm oil and oil return in the pushrod tubes. Therein is the trouble.
I know the 97mm and 98mm kits don't make trouble here. No personal experience with 100 or 102mm bore.

Quote:
I have worked on race bikes with that ring setup. They ran like scalded apes for the longer rods. What I don't know is if it is better to go that route or just two rings.
The Siebenrock kit comes with 151mm (standard kit, additionally versions with - 0.5 mm for the touring and +0.5 mm for the race kit) rods and three-ring pistons in standard setup. I doubt there is the need for such an open ring setup anyway.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #37
RGregor

Quote:
They ran like scalded apes for the longer rods. What I don't know is if it is better to go that route or just two rings.
Another effect of the long rods in combination with the lighter pistons: these engines run very smooth.
In my former engine (SR-Replacement) all parts were balanced and it ran really smooth. But compared to the SR BBK I have now there's still a big diff.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #38
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGregor View Post
I know the 97mm and 98mm kits don't make trouble here. No personal experience with 100 or 102mm bore.

The Siebenrock kit comes with 151mm (standard kit, additionally versions with - 0.5 mm for the touring and +0.5 mm for the race kit) rods and three-ring pistons in standard setup. I doubt there is the need for such an open ring setup anyway.
151mm rods are 16mm longer than stock for a 2.13:1 rod length ratio. Standard three ring setup? There is only so much room. 16mm less than stock. Three rings above the pin will have to be a lot higher and closer together than BMW's standard. You can only run them so high and so close together. I do know from experience that that setup pictured works. Lots of tuners have run rings like that with good results.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #39
RGregor

Quote:
151mm rods are 16mm longer than stock for a 2.13:1 rod length ratio. Standard three ring setup? There is only so much room. 16mm less than stock. Three rings above the pin will have to be a lot higher and closer together than BMW's standard. You can only run them so high and so close together. I do know from experience that that setup pictured works. Lots of tuners have run rings like that with good results.
With "standard" I meant, that the rings don't go through the pin hole. Of course the rings are different and closer together than in stock arrangement. Have to be to gain the needed mm.
This is the Siebenrock BBK piston

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...3638386334.jpg
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...3936613062.jpg
http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...3937333338.jpg
Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #40
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGregor View Post
Another effect of the long rods in combination with the lighter pistons: these engines run very smooth
Moorespeed have also gone down this route:

http://www.moorespeed.co.uk/moorespeed/bmw-products
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote