http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61568

Sarah
Old 12-03-2012, 04:14 AM   #71582
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCLI-Jim View Post
http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/ Has anyone else seen this and what do you think of the mods?
Adam is pretty specific on how he wants his bike set up and did an excellent job. I never had a problem with the stock switches and haven't done any power upgrades. I've completed a lot of the same mods on my bike. Adam stayed with us for 4 days prior to going into Mexico. His bike is well thought out for his use and sturdy. I believe he sold it recently with 75,000 miles on it.

Jay also has a great build documented on his site. Equally impressive and thought provoking. http://jamminglobal.blogspot.com/201...bout-bike.html

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #71583
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Good luck with the bike, APJ. Here's the big thread for your pre '96 DR:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61568

Sarah
Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #71584
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Did you give the Corbin the time and miles to contour to your sit bones? That firmness is everything when it comes to support - and it's the support that creates that comfort.

Granted, I don't own a Corbin for my DR650, but I do own one for my other bike... love it.
I've put around 6,000 miles on my Corbin, and it's still overly firm. The support is nice, but I've been considering adding 1/2"-1" of softer foam to the top of the seat for that initial comfort. I don't have a problem with it being too wide when standing, so I guess I'm in the bow-legged tall people group as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Its back!!!!! After 40 days (who's counting ) without my rear wheel, I finally got it back from Warp 9. Put a 150/70-17 Shinko 712 on it... Now how do I ride this thing?

She looks great, man. Isn't the 712 a cruiser tire? How does it handle compared to your average sport touring type tire (Pilot Road, Roadsmart, etc)?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #71585
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post

She looks great, man. Isn't the 712 a cruiser tire? How does it handle compared to your average sport touring type tire (Pilot Road, Roadsmart, etc)?
I like it so far, feels very stable in the corners. I have never ridden with a sport touring tire, so I cannot compare. I got these because they had excellent wear and rain performance. I found myself getting stuck in the rain a little too much last summer!
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #71586
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
I like it so far, feels very stable in the corners. I have never ridden with a sport touring tire, so I cannot compare. I got these because they had excellent wear and rain performance. I found myself getting stuck in the rain a little too much last summer!
Where did you pick up a 17 front in that model? Looks like they have them in 16,18, and 21 fronts. For commuting, those look like really nice tires.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #71587
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Where did you pick up a 17 front in that model? Looks like they have them in 16,18, and 21 fronts. For commuting, those look like really nice tires.
That's actually a 19" wheel. It's a Shinko 712 110/90-19
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #71588
Skidmarkart
Repeat Recidivist

Oddometer: 164
My brakes are well, kinda sucky. They are also noisy (lots of squeaks and grinds as I stop). The stopping power is acceptable, but not breathtaking.

I have a couple of questions - first, is it possible my pads are worn-out in only 1000 miles? I haven't had bikes in about 15 years, but I don't seem to remember them wearing out that fast (of course that was a lot of cheeseburgers ago so I am heavier now).

If so, does anyone have recs on a set of pads? I don't really want to replace rotors etc, as they seem to be fine.

TIA for any info.

Skidmarkart screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 12:58 PM Reason: teribul ghrammer
Skidmarkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #71589
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmarkart View Post
My brakes are well, kinda sucky. They are also noisy (lots of squeaks and grinds as I stop). The stopping power is acceptable, but not breathtaking.

I have a couple of questions - first, is it possible my pads are worn-out in only 1000 miles? I haven't had bikes in about 15 years, but I don't seem to remember them wearing out that fast (of course that was a lot of cheeseburgers ago so I am heavier now).

If so, does anyone have recs on a set of pads? I don't really want to replace rotors etc, as they seem to be fine.

TIA for any info.
Different pads wear at different rates in different conditions. I run EBC "R" compound in DR. Mud around here is tough on anything but the "r"'s. DR650's have adequate brakes, but they can benefit greatly with braided brake lines. If there is material left on the carriers, you should have many miles left. I run mine way down and still have plenty of grab. I do have braided lines front and rear.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #71590
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 558
My guess is your pads are contaminated with dirt, grease, oil, soap or something. Had sucky brakes on my current DR and after changing to new pads I am very happy with my brakes. I hear many people talk about braided lines but I see no need for them on my DR with new pads and clean disk,

TravelGuy

Quote:

TIA for any info.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #71591
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
My brakes are well, kinda sucky.
+1 on the braided brake line, at least for the front. I ride my DR almost exclusively on the street, and the braided lines give much better control and braking power. Night and day difference.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #71592
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,694
Quote:

TIA for any info.
When you say "worn out in 1000 miles" do you mean the pads were new, or the bike is new?

I wore out a set of pads on my bike and put in a replacement set and they felt terrible. No stopping power at all, until about 500 miles later when they had fully bedded in, and now they feel great. If your rotor is not new, then any replacement pad might feel weak for a while.

I think that's why you're cautioned to not brake hard for a while after replacing pads. You have to try to ease them into service...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #71593
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

I wore out a set of pads on my bike and put in a replacement set and they felt terrible. No stopping power at all, until about 500 miles later when they had fully bedded in, and now they feel great. If your rotor is not new, then any replacement pad might feel weak for a while.

I think that's why you're cautioned to not brake hard for a while after replacing pads. You have to try to ease them into service...
Well, I've never read such a warning to not stop hard, or I've never paid attention to it.

I think you hit your 'cure' on the head and didn't realize it when you wrote about "bedding in." Why wouldn't anyone bed-in their new brake pads on their bikes like we all do (or should be doing) with our cars and trucks?

In a controlled environment, go through a brake pad bed-in process (there are different combinations of speeds and slowings, but they all work out to be the same), and be sure to then let the brakes cool down without stopping.

Heading out for any road riding without a bedding in having been done is crazy. Your instructions may be telling you to not stop hard, but what it's really telling you is to not expect to stop hard or well - reality means accidents don't cater to your calendar, and if an approaching 'accident' happens in your way while you're riding along at mile 10 of what turned out to be a 500-mile bed-in... what then?

Do brakes the right way - bed them in on the first use of the vehicle even if it means you have to head out at 1 or 3 AM in the morning to avoid traffic on your local roads and avoid having to come to a complete stop.

This isn't a secret of race teams; it's just the right way to finish a brake pad or rotor installation.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #71594
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,204
Quote:

TIA for any info.
when you put new pads on, don't forget the clean the rotors with brake cleaner. all those holes can hold road grime that can be driven back into new pads and make them less than effective. many overlook this step.

braided brake lines help a bit but ultimately the front brake master cyl is an undersized bore (ie smaller) compared to other bikes and thus the breaking is not as good.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #71595
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
I love the 705's on a 19"; does great on the road as well as the dirt