User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #6481
Spanky15
Dirt Slider

Oddometer: 522
Thumb Indeed....!

That is a lot more water at that low crossing than a week or so ago!! Where did it rain....?
'82 XR-500R
'74 Ossa
...all Flattrackers
Spanky15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #6482
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythetoolman View Post
Its actually a 2012 Husqvarna TE511, and I had not been an a dirt bike sense about 1990 for the past ten years Ive been riding 4 wheelers at mill creek, lee creek, and fly gap what a difference! I'm forty two now and wanted to relive my youth and get an Enduro bike like I always wanted. The only difference is now I'm a fat man and out of shape like no other. you talk about out of shape by the time I said I was heading back every muscle in my body was cramping I don't think I could closed my hands for a week after that ride. and after all that punishment I could not Waite to go again. I will have to say this bike is awesome! Ive got it my way now this is how it is as of 12-1-12
Hey Jay! Glad to see you posting up. Bike is lookin awesome. Looks like you added some padding to that seat. I thought you were riding a Husky but I couldn't remember for sure. Glad to see you are ready to do some more riding. It takes a while to get comfortable when you are not used to that kind of riding. Once you do it won't be nearly as much work. Lookin forward to hooking up with you and riding some in the future. Take care.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #6483
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
Hey Jay! Glad to see you posting up. Bike is lookin awesome. Looks like you added some padding to that seat. I thought you were riding a Husky but I couldn't remember for sure. Glad to see you are ready to do some more riding. It takes a while to get comfortable when you are not used to that kind of riding. Once you do it won't be nearly as much work. Lookin forward to hooking up with you and riding some in the future. Take care.
Cool!
jtwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #6484
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Boy oh boy! looks like I have a lot of territory I need to see. so far I have only commuted and circled wedington.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #6485
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

What is the route for the last ride of the year?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #6486
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythetoolman View Post
Its actually a 2012 Husqvarna TE511, and I had not been an a dirt bike sense about 1990 for the past ten years Ive been riding 4 wheelers at mill creek, lee creek, and fly gap what a difference! I'm forty two now and wanted to relive my youth and get an Enduro bike like I always wanted. The only difference is now I'm a fat man and out of shape like no other. you talk about out of shape by the time I said I was heading back every muscle in my body was cramping I don't think I could closed my hands for a week after that ride. and after all that punishment I could not Waite to go again. I will have to say this bike is awesome! Ive got it my way now this is how it is as of 12-1-12
Another Husky rider! Now I don't feel so lonely and weird …

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #6487
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,844
Mouth and I took a quick ride down to Natural Dam for lunch via Pannell Rd. On the way back we came up Freedom Road to Bunyard and went over the I-540 Hopper Tunnel. Best done in the winter when you can see the highway. It started off very misty (we got wet), and the slab was slick. Once we got on gravel, all was good. Not much for "vistas" given the fog, but temps were perfect.
Matt sure can ride that big monster.

A few shots are below, but you can check out the slide set (17 photos) HERE

Our good part of our route:

This ledge ran along the road quite a ways. Never noticed it before (probably because of the trees).

Pannell was a little rutted, but the muck had dried out, mostly.

We carefully planned a way down the ledge, keep left, keep left. Matt said "f-it", went down the center like a champ. I whimped and went around.

More ruts.

Hurry up, take my picture...

Lee Creek was way, way down, crossing was not an issue.
SmugMug Rocks!

Valentino Magoo screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 02:45 PM
Valentino Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #6488
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,568
Nice report Magoo and Matt! Glad someone got out. I am so sore I can't hardly get out of bed.....ugh..
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #6489
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,246
Thanks Mike, we had fun, I am glad to hear you are home and on the uphill side of things... patience buddy.
nothing wrong with spending some time in the bed when its needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Nice report Magoo and Matt! Glad someone got out. I am so sore I can't hardly get out of bed.....ugh..
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #6490
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 1,645
Great ride. Any chance you can share that route for my GPS? I'd like to ride it. Parnell road looks fun.
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #6491
Valentino Magoo
Like a speeding slug

Oddometer: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg12 View Post
Great ride. Any chance you can share that route for my GPS? I'd like to ride it. Parnell road looks fun.

Sure. I posted a link to the GPX file on AR Slap Trax thread. You can get to the post with the GPS file for today's route HERE. The GPX file is at the bottom of the post. That thread has TONS of great routes that Doc (and others) have posted over the years for the SLAP ADV rally. You should check out the reports on that SLAP trax thread for other routes to Pannell Rd too. We went thru Lee Creek, which is not for whimps like me if there is even average levels of water. Also, there is a section on Pannell Road that would be nasty as all getout if it was really wet. Two trucks were in this V-shaped chute when we came down, so we went around on a trail thru the woods.

FYI, apostle2 posted a nice ride report from SLAP 2010 that included the below video. The potentially rough-when wet stuff is from 2:00 to 3:30 in the video. The clay "trench" at the 3:00 mark is considerably deeper now than in 2010, I wouldn't want to be driving up it (northbound, opposite the way the video is shot) when wet.
You can see his whole report HERE

SmugMug Rocks!

Valentino Magoo screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 07:37 PM
Valentino Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #6492
mdawg12
Old and Slow

Oddometer: 1,645
Thanks! Got it. Looks like a fun ride. Not sure I need to tackle that solo though. Next time you all head that way holler.
mdawg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #6493
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 873
Nice ride Magoo. I did sneek up to Oark and eat Saturday. Mostly dirt on the way up. I like this time of year when the leaves are off the trees, you can see all sorts of things to investigate .
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #6494
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Late October 2012 in NWA

I've been so busy since this ride, I haven't had time to post my pics from my October adventure in NWA. I guess that's the punishment for taking 10 days off.

Lucky for me, I was able to make the trip while the temps were still decent and the Fall colors in full swing. The day started off with a quick run from Smith Mtn to Ponca and back to the cabin. One of only two days I spent any time on the 950SM.

The real fun started the next day on the new-to-me 450EXC. All the same roads I've ridden before but now a lot more interesting on a lighter cycle.

Steep switchbacks on Smith Mtn Rd

View of Red Rock Pt from CR41 near Mt Judea

Cave Creek crossing at Bass

First time riding through Gene Rush WMA (CR260) near Cave Creek

Intersection of CR260 & CR34

CR34 (I think). Heading South toward Dickey Junction

View of Hwy 74 at Bass from CR34

Another CR34 vista

Richland Creek Crossing at Eula

Richland Creek X-ing on CR14 South of Woolum Campground. This one caught me by surprise. About 18" deep in the middle but it sure didn't look it from this angle.

Not too far down the road I had to deal with another green-slime-covered river crossing at Woolum Campground, the Buffalo River. Made the wise decision to walk the bike across, and I'm glad I did. It wasn't very deep but slick as grease and loose.

How fitting to see the beasts for which this river was named roaming on the other side

Navaho screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 07:31 PM
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #6495
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,874
Great pictures, Thanks !!!