Plenty
mwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #467
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
I'm seriously considering replacing my WR250R with a freeride.
Every year I do a week of enduro riding i Romania (EnduRomania), and to do that on a Freeride I would have to find a way to carry a bit more fuel than the 5 litres in the tank.
I'm thinking this (or something similar) is the best way to do it:
You will love it. promise.

There are 4 things to think about. First, that it has less than 30 hp is something which is negative when sitting together with yer mates having a beer. In real world it plays no role when you buy and use the bike what its built for. Single trails, narrow and tough stuff, exactly that trails where your mates waste power and condition with their 500 exc's. They are faster on cross country racing, desert racing and MX but the Freeride isnt made for that kinda sports.

Second, the 5 liter tank is a mess but as you say two 1,5 liter bottles strapped to the back of the bike will help. And dont worry it will not break as long as you dont put more than 10 kgs (approx 20 lbs) on. It is definitely a super tuff bike although it does not look like one. More about that see below.

Third, it is damn expensive as alll KTM's are. But this you may handle with your christmas bonus

And in fourth place, it needs way too much maintenance. Like the EXC's it is called a "competition bike" by KTM which means oil and filter change every 10 hours, valve check every 20 hours and so on. This is expensive and it is boring, especially when you take a look at the warranty card which states that for competition bikes you have only 30 days (!!!)
But, if you do the first service at the dealer and he enters that in the dealer network you can expect KTM to be acommodating. At least sometimes... And the maintenance hours stated in the manual are for competition use and can be doubled when the bike is not used for competition.

The idea behind the bike is to hve a tool for the real tough stuff which will not exhaust you. I had a 450 EXC and its over 50hp were nice to have. But I think in 100 hours of use I had gears 5 and 6 only used twice on connection roads and farm tracks. In all the tuff stuff the boyz with the big "real" endurobikes have the throttle valve open 15 degrees, meaning they use maybe 15% of the power available. This makes it difficult when traction is bad in the wet on wet stones or just mud or wet surface.
The freeride is so easy to handle that you wont believe it. It is silent they say, it sounds like if a big dog farts. I know, but the idea behind is to not attract attention especially when you ride where it is not allowed (everywhere where I live)

It is a toy and it is not tuff I heard them big enduro boyz sayin'.

Bullshit, it is super tuff, Brandauer the 12 times Austrian trials champion and Husaberg factory rider became second in Austrias legendary Stone Eater Enduro Race and this guy is big and weighs 300lbs plus! Check this video (the bike is completely standard)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-20xs65ct7o

BTW, Brandauer is a top 20 finisher in Hells Gate, Erzberg and Romaniacs which are the toughest enduro races in the world. He quit with Husaberg and will do the next Romaniacs Enduro World Championship race on -guess what bike ?
Yes, it will be the first appearance of a factory supported Freeride in such a tough race.

Try one and tell me what you think

Cheers
Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #468
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,789
Cool video!

Brandauer is not running trials tires in the video, even though for what he is doing, I bet they would work better.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #469
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Cool video!

Brandauer is not running trials tires in the video, even though for what he is doing, I bet they would work better.
Well, I have no clue what Brandy said about them but I talked to another guy who swapped the trials tires against pure MX tires and he said he swapped back. Surprised me somehow. He said the trials are better everywhere except in deep sand and mud of course. And if you drive slant up or downhill in wet grass the front end slips and off you go.... No lugs on the sidewall like MX tires.

This guy also tried to switch to MX tires. Well its a long vid and am not sure which language he speaks
but its interesting what he says about the knobbies, you would not expect that. The guy is a good rider as far as I can see.
Listen what he says at 5:45 and from 6:15 t0 7:15.
Needless to say he did not use MX tires again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFksQyFqRss

Cia
Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #470
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,789
Looks like sticky stuff, and not enough speed to clean out the knobbies.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #471
Hunebed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71

Sorry. I know I dwarf the poor thing, but skinny me even dwarfs the adventure. It was my third trip. Already so easy I have to expand territory.

But hey, I only did 75km's on 4.3ltr (enter fuel warning light) giving it some stick… Need the Mojavi
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #472
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 234
new akro now available

They arrive at last. Akrapovic exhaust now available. Part no 72005979000. Ask Santa early while stocks last
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #473
One67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
659 pounds , I'd expect them to double the horse power and keep all the down low torque for that.

I'll just pull the gauze out of the stockos.
One67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #474
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
Get a life! It's a hybrid Trials / trail bike. Save the Akra money and just buy a 350 XC-W if you want more power. That's NOT the misson for this bike. The American "bigger is better" BS is now polluting the entire planet!

I know, I know, you just can't fight this attitude. So, go for it, but Don't Complain about a lack of power on the stock bike when that's not its mission!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #475
One67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon12 View Post
get a life! It's a hybrid trials / trail bike. Save the akra money and just buy a 350 xc-w if you want more power. That's not the misson for this bike. The american "bigger is better" bs is now polluting the entire planet!

I know, i know, you just can't fight this attitude. So, go for it, but don't complain about a lack of power on the stock bike when that's not its mission!
+1
One67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #476
milzispete
Conquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Get a life! It's a hybrid Trials / trail bike. Save the Akra money and just buy a 350 XC-W if you want more power. That's NOT the misson for this bike. The American "bigger is better" BS is now polluting the entire planet!

I know, I know, you just can't fight this attitude. So, go for it, but Don't Complain about a lack of power on the stock bike when that's not its mission!
I think you are missing the point of an Akra pipe. They are all about looking cool, sounding loud and bullshitting with your friends about how it totally transformed the bike. It's just the done thing
Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #477
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,241
Oh, now I get it. We are now all about making an entrepreneur from the former Soviet Block a very rich man in the name of current "style". And here I thought I only had to deal with that attitude from my women folk!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #478
milzispete
Conquistador

Touratech haven't done too bad out of bling either. Once I've bolted another 50kg and spent the original price of the bike on 'essentials' I can put a BMW badge on it, re-name it a Freeriden and buy the matching Swarovski nipple pasties.I'm still not buying a bigger tank though as I'm adamant 90Km is plenty
Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #479
ktmmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
ditch the pipe?

We were asked to look at making more fuel capacity for the FR when launched in UK,and to us,the most obvious way would be to ditch the right silencer,make a 2 into 1 Y piece for the exhaust,then replace the right silencer with a plastic-moulded 2/3 litre fuel tank that would connect into the existing fuel system,similar to our idea for the KTM 690 tank kits we produce.
2 silencers is more for show than power ,and the advantage of a bit more fuel is probably more important than a balanced silencer view from the rear.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #480
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We were asked to look at making more fuel capacity for the FR when launched in UK,and to us,the most obvious way would be to ditch the right silencer,make a 2 into 1 Y piece for the exhaust,then replace the right silencer with a plastic-moulded 2/3 litre fuel tank that would connect into the existing fuel system,similar to our idea for the KTM 690 tank kits we produce.
2 silencers is more for show than power ,and the advantage of a bit more fuel is probably more important than a balanced silencer view from the rear.
Are you sure the two mufflers don't have anything to do with making the bike quiet?