ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #706
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Nice one Joe!

Today was No Charge Entry Fee for National Parks, Veterans Day!!

(Harden Flat Road near the HWY 120 Entrance)

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #707
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Really nice pics.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #708
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
Really nice pics.
Indeed!
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #709
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
How lucky to see the valley with a fresh dusting of snow! I've only been there in the dry season.

I was there the weekend before, they were giving away tent cabins for $40/night, special hantavirus discount. But there was no snow at all, not even on Tioga Road. Just a bit clinging to the peaks. But the fall color was better than I expected, and the light shoulder season crowd was a pleasant suprise.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #710
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Tire sale at Chapperal motorsports

For those of us with the big bikes, Chaparral motorsports is having a great sale on TKC80's, almost $100 bucks off.
That makes them affordable in my book due to the low mileage they are known for.
I bought a set and they got here in less than a week.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod.../329-0180.aspx
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #711
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Jimmy Lewis school

Im debating taking the big plunge and going for a weekend with Jimmy and his school.
Anybody interested?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #712
bitwrench
ADV SUMO

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Im debating taking the big plunge and going for a weekend with Jimmy and his school.
Anybody interested?
I learned more in one weekend at his class than I might have learned in a year or more. Doesn't make me a more talented rider, but gives me the tools to learn to ride 'correctly'. I have way more confidence as well. Don't go hung over, its two long days. Well worth it...
Bitwrench
bitwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #713
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Jimmy Lewis looks like the right guy for giving instruction. Bit pricey for my world, however. I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #714
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Anybody interested?
It's on my list.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #715
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Snow can be seen in the 5-6K altitude above Oakhurst. More storms to come this weekend. The NFS will probably close the trails to all but snowmobiles pretty soon if not done already today. Time to prepare the DRZ for the next riding season. To do list not in to do order: Change jetting for higher elevations. Spoon on new front and rear tires. Modify my plastic fuel tank so the cold start enrichener an be fully engaged. Install flood lights for nighttime eventualities. Install a HID kit for the headlight. Install an electric vest outlet. Install a USB mobile device battery charging station. Inspect the charging system. Change oil and filter. Pre-pack the 400cc mule as I would for a big adventure. Inspect suspension sag. Lube the suspension links. Change fork oil. Inspect drive chain slack. Lube drive chain. Inspect brake pads. Clean the cow shit off the underbelly. Replace all necessary items found during inspection. Then it will be Spring and into the wilds I go.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #716
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Snow can be seen in the 5-6K altitude above Oakhurst. More storms to come this weekend. The NFS will probably close the trails to all but snowmobiles pretty soon if not done already today. Time to prepare the DRZ for the next riding season. To do list not in to do order: Change jetting for higher elevations. Spoon on new front and rear tires. Modify my plastic fuel tank so the cold start enrichener an be fully engaged. Install flood lights for nighttime eventualities. Install a HID kit for the headlight. Install an electric vest outlet. Install a USB mobile device battery charging station. Inspect the charging system. Change oil and filter. Pre-pack the 400cc mule as I would for a big adventure. Inspect suspension sag. Lube the suspension links. Change fork oil. Inspect drive chain slack. Lube drive chain. Inspect brake pads. Clean the cow shit off the underbelly. Replace all necessary items found during inspection. Then it will be Spring and into the wilds I go.
Leave the cow shit, don't want anything too clean! Keeps her from getting stolen

Have you seen this; http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841673 Im in at number 103.Would be more than happy to have you along.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #717
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of work, but time well spent. Thinking about some of the same stuff too, seems winter is here to stay after this weekend!

Thinking about uograding my front forks, need to stiffen them up a bit and perhaps some new harder rims!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #718
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Up here, the Eldorado National Forest started the seasonal dirt road closure early, on Nov. 30th I believe. I had gone riding a week earlier and there was standing water and slick mud already. It's mostly clay soil in the middle altitudes in the EDNF, that stuff gets nasty when it's wet, real sticky and pasty. I haven't checked but I assume 4, 108, and 120 are all done for the season.

There's a leetle bit of dirt road riding here and there, mostly rural county roads at lower altitudes, but it looks like road riding for the next six months or so.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #719
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Well it is that time of year again, it seems the snow has fallen and the high country is closed to all but the stubbliest of riders, perhaps a snow mobile is in order!!
I decided to dust off the mountain bike and ride something except the bike trails around merced!!! So I headed to Mariposa and gave the Briceburg switch backs a go!!
The trails are in great shape little muddy in spots but nothing serious!!!
Made a short video....

Like the climb up ..took about 1 hour and 20 minutes and then I just turned around and headed back down 20 minutes to the truck!!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]

Mr B screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 09:40 AM
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #720
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Bruce it must have very dark up there.