Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #16
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
You make it sound like you just started riding...and you choose an 800CC bike to start on?!

A Guy I work with just started on a 1200 (I'll leave the make out of it) and already feels confident enough to go without his helmet and even take his kid along for the ride. (Natural selection in action that can take out the bloodline entirely!)

I'll never understand this penis compensating need for a 2 wheeled strap-on.

Glad you're ok and I hope you at least learned something from the experience.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
Many guys and gals don't even bother with the 1200's, and go bigger, with the expected results.
The guy you work with already HAS kids though....

New bike time is time to be careful till you learn the bike, new tires, new throttle response, different weight bias, I always take it easy for a while on anything new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
You make it sound like you just started riding...and you choose an 800CC bike to start on?!

A Guy I work with just started on a 1200 (I'll leave the make out of it) and already feels confident enough to go without his helmet and even take his kid along for the ride. (Natural selection in action that can take out the bloodline entirely!)

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Many guys and gals don't even bother with the 1200's, and go bigger, with the expected results.
The guy you work with already HAS kids though....

New bike time is time to be careful till you learn the bike, new tires, new throttle response, different weight bias, I always take it easy for a while on anything new.
Hence = he can end the entire bloodline when he F's up with his young Son on the back.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,669
Quote:

My first bike was a V-Max.

What's you're point?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #20
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,078
I'm going to say the tires were not scrubbed in, I got to ride the 800 this past summer and the thing will lean.
It felt like a bicycle compared to the 1050 and I did scrape the pegs on multiple occasions.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
rivercreep
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
My first bike was a V-Max.

What's you're point?

The point is that with todays bikes producing the power they do, many are lucky to survive learning on them.
Few, respect the power. You were one of the lucky ones.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
The point is that with todays bikes producing the power they do, many are lucky to survive learning on them.
Few, respect the power. You were one of the lucky ones.
This isn't my first rodeo but I took great care when I got my Tiger. It took me along time before I could really push the bike. Stayed behind the power curve until I new exactly what the Bike was doing and how it felt. Took a bunch of tumbles in the dirt and snow.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 2,319
good to hear you come out of it all with not much more than a few 'character marks' on your bike

It really sucks to get that first scar on a brand new bike - but after a wee while - you won't even bother,

ride safe!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
kylerichards
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Little scratches don't take away from that damn good lookin scooter. Congrats on the purchase.

I picked up a white roadie this time last year and love it. That black color sure is growing on me...
2005 Honda CRF 230 F
kylerichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
bbtech
Computer Guru

Oddometer: 58
I can certainly attest to how goosey those Battlewings are on the Tiger 800XC right after you buy it. I was very very careful my first 100 miles.
bbtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
irvine_87 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Cheers for all the feedback and opinions, has pointed out things I didn't consider :)

Well, a lot further down the line now and have had no more 'moments' like that first day thankfully. Just love the bike, few altercations/ adjustments with suspension tyre presure here and there has made it perfect for my needs... And the tiny cosmetic scratches have all but been forgotten :).

The conclusion I came to, is a combination of my fault with coming off the throttle mid turn, bigger bike than use too, shiny new tyres and Im still sure I seen a banana peel ha.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #27
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,984
That's a great looking bike. Ride safe.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #28
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Heh, just ambled over to this part of the site and take some comfort to see that someone did almost the exact same thing as I did the other night. Well, slightly different circumstances, but almost exactly the same damage. I bought my XC a couple weeks ago, but have hardly ridden it due to the weather. I rode it to my friend's place last weekend, and leaving his place I got a little overzealous hitting the on ramp to the freeway. The on ramp is a tricky turn, but could be a blast hitting it on the right line at speed. One of the things that makes it tricky is that there are a bunch of painted arrows and a crosswalk to go through right at the entrance of the turn. My friend had pointed out the paint danger before, but as I approached the turn, I saw a line that would miss all the paint, or at least the majority of it. I managed to hit that line and (over)confident in my ability, I rolled on the gas aggressively. The turn after the crosswalk was tighter than I remembered so I leaned harder, felt my pegs scrape, and next thing I knew the back end was gone and I was on the pavement, hearing the dreaded sound of metal on asphalt.

Fortunately, I had on full gear and it was relatively late at night so there weren't many cars (though there was one right behind me when I went down, they didn't even bother to slow down, let alone stop). I got up as soon as the momentum stopped and went to pick up my bike--pointing the wrong way in the middle of the off ramp. I picked it up, walked it to the shoulder, took a deep breath, got on and rode home. I kept hoping it was a bad dream, but unfortunately, it was all too real.

The extent of the damage was almost identical to OP's: scuffed mirror and hand guard, scuffed footpegs, slightly bent rear brake lever, and a broken signal. And of course, a bruised ego. Oh, and the steering is a little out of whack now too.

I've dropped my other bike before on a few occasions, but those have been low speed/stand still incidents. I fully expected the Tiger to go down at some point, but on dirt. This was my first actual accident and I've been chewing on humble pie for the past few days.

The cause of my accident was going faster than I should have, and on cold tires (my friend's place is half a mile, at most, from the freeway, and it was probably under 40 F that night). All in all, I know it could have been much worse, and the lesson has definitely been learned the hard way. I could have just as easily learned it on my cheap, 10 year old SV though, dangit.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
Bob Tosi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Glad your ok.
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
Thunder Strike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
glad you and bike are okay

That is the bike I want once I get more experience on my cheap bike.
I rode one at the dealership after seeing it at the International Motorcycle show in November. The engine felt just like a sport bike, but I could tell the long gear set up was going to be good off road. Also, I could stay in 1st forever! ;)
That bike has some serious torque and OMG is it pretty!

By the way most these riders are not going to understand what it feels like to be in a round about on a bike.
(I lived in UK from 2003-2007, and it rained all the time. My royal enfield did okay over there because my riding was very conservative.)

Envious of your bike. Have fun!
Thunder Strike is offline   Reply With Quote