User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #106
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
the ol' heat gun on plastics trick

I tried a trick that I saw on this forum somewhere, a heat gun on the plastic. I heated the rear fender until it started to shine, then wiped it with a paper towel. took the scum/old paint right off! I did the whole fender and then went back over it, heating until it shined (melts the surface I think) but this time not touching it. Looks 100% better. Original color, no fading, no scratches. HOWEVER The tank MUST be a different kind of plastic. I started on it, but it started to bubble...
I stopped before I ruined anything. Front fender, rear fender and headlight bezel seem to be the same but the tank Definitely is NOT. So, I used a vertical razor blade on the tank. Most of the paint is coming off pretty nicely and I'm not destroying anything. Still am wondering about a tank cover tho?
LandsVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #107
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

'new' parts bike!

Craigslist came through for me again. I drove to Eugene today and picked up a 1989 XL600RF 2 carb with a blown motor for 50$. PO had the head off. Huge hole in piston. May have dropped a valve seat? Anyway, good news is, has all street legal components! Nice tank, lights, wiring, speedo, etc. etc. last licensed in 1999. Has an extra ebay head and piston too. Looks like the original head is absolutely toast... AND I am mostly moved in to the new house, with a decent lighted garage!
Merry Christmas All!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #108
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,662
A 1989 XL600??? You sure of the year?? Fat finger typing???

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #109
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
A 1989 XL600??? You sure of the year?? Fat finger typing???
Oops, 1985 XL600R.

I will try to get some pictures of the damage, as that's always gruesomely fun...

Now, decision time: Will i have a better bike over all (all things being equal) if I street the XR, or put the XR engine in the XL?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #110
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pictures of the parts bike

Pictures! I think this is a sickness... How many will I have before I have to check myself in to XR/XL anonymous?

Old 12-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #111
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Great deal on the XL. Only put the XR engine in it if it is the dual carbureted one.... I think it is.... yeah. Do that. That's the best option for getting it road legal. I consider the XL frame to be slightly sturdier in the rear portion since it was designed to carry a passenger, but the downside is that you can't take the head off the engine while it is in the frame like with the XR. Also the XL suspension is less off-roady and then if you're going to want to swap the XR stuff onto it you almost might as well plate the XR. Anyway, these are my opinions.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #112
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Great deal on the XL. Only put the XR engine in it if it is the dual carbureted one.... I think it is.... yeah. Do that. That's the best option for getting it road legal. I consider the XL frame to be slightly sturdier in the rear portion since it was designed to carry a passenger, but the downside is that you can't take the head off the engine while it is in the frame like with the XR. Also the XL suspension is less off-roady and then if you're going to want to swap the XR stuff onto it you almost might as well plate the XR. Anyway, these are my opinions.
Hey, thanks for the opinion! I'm still thinking about all of this: The XR has a Montana title, and 'should' transfer to Oregon, but that is a gray area. The XL has a 'lost' title, but I know the guy that knows the guy who's name it's titled/registered in... It was last plated in 99. I just have to figure out what becomes legal to put a plate on the back, how much money I will have to expend, and how much trouble it will be...

The XL looks really nice, and is intact except for the engine. It has 25,000 miles on it though and has been sitting outside (with a tarp over it) for 2 years.

The XR is all together now and running well, and seems to be pretty low mileage (although how can I tell? besides obvious wear).

My first thought: bolt the speedometer, rear fender and turn signals on the XR, and then take it to the DMV and see what happens (make it look legal, LOL). If it passes, spend the time to transfer wiring etc. over to it?

The DMV lady said all she is concerned about is the VIN, but I"m assuming it would do well to have the a speedometer/odometer in place with some numbers on it, plus the turn signals. She said it didn't have to be running or run...

Hmmm... :)
Old 12-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #113
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
btw, need a cylinder head/and/or cam from the XL? I haven't looked super close at it, but the glance I did take seemed to reveal only surface rust, although the bearings felt a stiff. Maybe I should hang on to it? 'Just in case'? LOL
Old 12-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #114
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsVW View Post
Pictures! I think this is a sickness... How many will I have before I have to check myself in to XR/XL anonymous?

Ouch! Topend's a total write off

Not like it didn't give the operator some warning.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #115
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Ouch! Topend's a total write off

Not like it didn't give the operator some warning.
The warning comes when the valve adjustment is tight a couple in a row, or more than it usually is.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #116
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
The warning comes when the valve adjustment is tight a couple in a row, or more than it usually is.
Yeah, this thing either dropped a valve (ala the 2 piece valves like the old air cooled volkswagens back in the day) or the valve seat itself came out and bounced around. either way - ugly but fascinating devastation.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #117
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsVW View Post
Yeah, this thing either dropped a valve (ala the 2 piece valves like the old air cooled volkswagens back in the day) or the valve seat itself came out and bounced around. either way - ugly but fascinating devastation.
I examined the destroyed head closely - definitely dropped the head off a valve. The seats are still in the head. Wow. glad it wasn't me. Also, I finally have my XR600 at my new house parked next to the XL600! Pictures forthcoming!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #118
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Both bikes, together at last

LandsVW screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 10:08 PM Reason: picture alignment
Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #119
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,768
Plate the XR. I had two XRL600s and loved them both, but in this case I think you are way ahead going with the XR. Good luck.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #120
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Project moving forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Plate the XR. I had two XRL600s and loved them both, but in this case I think you are way ahead going with the XR. Good luck.
... Thanks, thats what I have decided to do. Now, according to my research, i need a XR650L upper triple clamp to use the stock XL ignition switch in a factory mount. Anyone have one? Trade for some 1985 XL600 parts maybe?