ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #31
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
You would be surprised how far that front will go over. I do have CJs Medium peg extensions though.

My setup is the same, including the pegs and I too have drug pavement, although not often. I ain't always Qwik!

Also, just this weekend, I got the rear end loose a couple of times when turning; a little too liberal application of throttle and slightly damp roads were the problem. Generally, the Mefo feels squirrelly to me all the time; I keep the psi up in the mid to high thirties range for fear of pinch flats. When I first got my bike, I had four or five flats in just a couple of months. I finally learned my lesson and keep the psi up and run ultra heavy duty tubes.

Supahflid screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 02:39 PM
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Another street tire with bigger grooves is the Pirelli Scorpion Sync, which comes on the Ducati MultiStrada.
The Multi now comes with the Scorpion Trail. I think it was Buel that was using the Sync on some models.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #33
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
Hey Too Tall - You need to start another thread in a forum that has people who know what you ride! These people recommend tires not available in a 17 inch front wheel. Ha Ha Ha... Really; this is the wrong place. There is little knowledge here at all.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #34
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Hey Too Tall - You need to start another thread in a forum that has people who know what you ride! These people recommend tires not available in a 17 inch front wheel. Ha Ha Ha... Really; this is the wrong place. There is little knowledge here at all.

What tires aren't available in a 17" front? These ones are:

TKC-80
ContiTrail Attack
Pirelli Scorpion Trail
Avon Distanzia (Front only, widest rear is the 160)

I have had all four. I am amazed at how smooth the Distanzia and the TKC are on the road (fronts). The Trail Attack and the Scorpion almost feel like street bike tires. I haven't had much like with the scorps, I found they puncture easily on rocky roads. I just got the Trail Attacks, so no idea yet. I would probably consider the pair on an SMT for a long trip though. Or the TKCs if it was mainly dirt. No complaints there.

Most of my miles on the Multi was with a Distanzia front and Pilot Road (sport touring) rears. Fine, but aren't going anywhere if you encounter mud.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Thanks for all the adventure tire suggestions for our KTM SMT. It's the wife's bike and she needs a confidence inspiring tire for the Dempster, etc., especially if it rains. Til then, I'm getting her all the off-road experience I can on a DR650.

She's ridden to Alaska once and did fine on her Versys with a Distanza front and Tourance rear, both 17"ers. Plan to start with street tires and switch in Fairbanks or Anchorage.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #36
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Plan to start with street tires and switch in Fairbanks or Anchorage.
A TKC will be wasted before you hit the Dempster.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #37
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
+1 My last one on my 950 lasted 8 days/3500km. The one before that I treated nicely and got about 5500km's.
Absolutely. If you want to have fun on pavement/tarmac then you definitely finish the rear in less than 4000km's. Some very good boyz get it to survive over 6000km's although I cant imagine how this works, Maybe it also has a lot to do with the grip. In the Italian Alps with its (mainly) super grippy roads you burn the rear tire in no time. As you say after a week its worn out.

Alternatively you could use a K60 rear tire but it has less grip and is somewhat behind the TKC offroads. I admit I never mix tires.
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #38
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

I cannot find TKC Twinduro TKC 80's in a 120/70/17. That would be an ideal tire for the Dempster on that bike if you can get one, but google showed me only 17 rears, 18 rears, 19 fronts and 21 fronts...at least in the USA.

The Scorpion Trail is a street oriented tire not unlike the Dunlops mentioned earlier. The Dempster gets muddy. Even on dry days you get 200 yard lengths of mud.

That TKC 80 in a 120/70/17 would do the job, though.

Edit, this link says conti introduced the 120/70/17 this summer due to demand for the Duc MTS
http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...twinduro-sizes

That'll do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
What tires aren't available in a 17" front? These ones are:

TKC-80
ContiTrail Attack
Pirelli Scorpion Trail
Avon Distanzia (Front only, widest rear is the 160)

I have had all four. I am amazed at how smooth the Distanzia and the TKC are on the road (fronts). The Trail Attack and the Scorpion almost feel like street bike tires. I haven't had much like with the scorps, I found they puncture easily on rocky roads. I just got the Trail Attacks, so no idea yet. I would probably consider the pair on an SMT for a long trip though. Or the TKCs if it was mainly dirt. No complaints there.

Most of my miles on the Multi was with a Distanzia front and Pilot Road (sport touring) rears. Fine, but aren't going anywhere if you encounter mud.

Pantah screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 01:06 PM
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #39
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
A TKC will be wasted before you hit the Dempster.
Not the front. The rear would have to be changed by Dawson.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #40
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Not the front. The rear would have to be changed by Dawson.

I figured that went without saying.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #41
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,818
Quote:
I cannot find TKC Twinduro TKC 80's in a 120/70/17. That would be an ideal tire for the Dempster on that bike if you can get one, but google showed me only 17 rears, 18 rears, 19 fronts and 21 fronts...at least in the USA.

The Scorpion Trail is a street oriented tire not unlike the Dunlops mentioned earlier. The Dempster gets muddy. Even on dry days you get 200 yard lengths of mud.

That TKC 80 in a 120/70/17 would do the job, though.

Edit, this link says conti introduced the 120/70/17 this summer due to demand for the Duc MTS
http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...twinduro-sizes

That'll do!
Yeah, they seem to be having a hard time keeping the TKC in stock. The Kenda Big Block is another alternative, but people are buying those up faster than they can make them too. I looked for both of those for over a month for my XL600, and finally gave up and bought a mismatched set of Dunlop/Pirelli knobbies that will probably go 1500 miles.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #42
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Very happy with the overall performance of a Mefo SE rear and Continue TKC 80 front for highway, dirt road and occasional dirt tracks riding. Swap back to to the stock Pirelli's when in town.

Any advice/experience with air pressures for this combo on hard to sandy dirt roads traveling at ~80km/hr.

I know the Mefos should be at 41 psi for fast highway and the TKCs have soft sidewalks, but was hoping to get away with ~25 psi on lower speed dirt roads.