Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #15421
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Yea no crash just alot of close calls in a short amount of time. The mighty xr always carries me to safety
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #15422
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Yea no crash just alot of close calls in a short amount of time. The mighty xr always carries me to safety
What area in CA do you live in?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #15423
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Don't do that, just throw it in the chop saw and cut the tap in half, grind some new flat spots into it until a 12 point socket fits, it'll be in the area where the axle goes then and a socket will clear.
Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, all done.
Hey, we agree!?!?!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #15424
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
I tried a new way...

I bought some of the 3M flat black vinyl that they sell to sticker a whole car with for advertising. It has sun protection and everything in it already and I got plenty off eBay for cheap! It's tougher that paint and requires very little to get ready to apply - unlike the paint.

My understanding is that Bob didn't use the HRC race piston as it came ever. I think Johnny said the bike tended to come out from underneath him... But they did sometimes use the HRC piston milled to use Chevron or Pemex Premium in some high desert races. I have one of the HRC pistons milled and all the instructions from the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
I could be wrong but I heard they actually didn't use the higher compression piston because it was overkill. That could save some money if piecing together the HRC kit...

Beautiful bike. I'm thinking of doing the black baja fender paint. Krylon fusion good?

bump screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 09:00 AM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #15425
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
What area in CA do you live in?
Lakewood/ Long Beach
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #15426
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
My understanding is that Bob didn't use the HRC race piston as it came ever. I think Johnny said the bike tended to come out from underneath him... But they did sometimes use the HRC piston milled to use Chevron or Pemex Premium in some high desert races. I have one of the HRC pistons milled and all the instructions from the shop.

I second hearing this as well. I think there were different combinations used at different locations, but I know not everyone looked kindly upon the increased compression due to poor fuel options. I'd be curious to find out what the real seat of the pants difference is, obviously I would take anything JC said as pretty much Gods word... I'm guessing i'd compare myself closer to Helen Keller's riding ability, than JC's
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #15427
cragdweller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Any new info on the wide ratio gearset?
cragdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #15428
bigtrailie
Rough idle

Oddometer: 603
Longer cables / hoses

I'm a large fella and I look like a shriner riding a minibike on my BRP. It's time to raise the handlebars and add some larger foot pegs.

Can someone direct me to the posts showing the preferred source for longer cables and hoses or re-routing of the stock cables to facilitate the handle bar riser? Thanks. And peg recommendations would be appreciated too.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #15429
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
I'm a large fella and I look like a shriner riding a minibike on my BRP. It's time to raise the handlebars and add some larger foot pegs.

Can someone direct me to the posts showing the preferred source for longer cables and hoses or re-routing of the stock cables to facilitate the handle bar riser? Thanks. And peg recommendations would be appreciated too.
At 6'6" I have the same problem.....Motion Pro sells 3" longer cables that work fine (I ordered 4" longer due to excess height), my advice is to buy an extra set at the same time. Run the new cables beside the old cable before pulling the old. Its a very simple job....Many use ROX risers however I prefer solid bar risers that don't tweak when you go down hard. Also consider higher bars if your tall......

I use the IMS pro pegs however with my size 14 boots I wish I had a bigger platform as standing on them for long periods gets a bit tough on the feet. Make sure to carry spare foot peg bolts in the kit and pull them once in awhile to check them and use locktite. If replacing pegs use new bolts and then you have spares for the kit. I have broken them twice now even with the bolt upgrades, it really sucks to limp home without a footpeg. If your up to it do the right foot peg upgrade and fix it for good. Also while checking the foot pegs pull the kick start bolt clean and re locktite or you will lose it.....eventually.

BigToad screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 09:27 AM
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #15430
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToad View Post
I use the IMS pro pegs however with my size 14 boots I wish I had a bigger platform as standing on them for long periods gets a bit tough on the feet. Make sure to carry spare foot peg bolts in the kit and pull them once in awhile to check them and use locktite. If replacing pegs use new bolts and then you have spares for the kit. I have broken them twice now even with the bolt upgrades, it really sucks to limp home without a footpeg. If your up to it do the right foot peg upgrade and fix it for good. Also while checking the foot pegs pull the kick start bolt clean and re locktite or you will lose it.....eventually.

I have the IMS pro pegs too and think they are beyond awesome. I do sometimes wish I could find something like a Fastway peg for the XR. That might be even a little nicer than the IMS.

On the topic of footpeg fixes, this is not a option in my eyes, this should be a mandatory fix. Not only could it really make the rest of your ride hard if not impossible, its pretty dangerous as well if that footpeg disappeared at the wrong time!
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #15431
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post

I'm 6'6", size 15 boots.

I use Pivot Pegz. I like them a lot, but it took some doing. It took a while to figure out which ones could work on an XR650R, then I had to grind down the mount so they stuck out at the right angle. I like them in general, and it helps me to shift with my big boot. I would recommend them, but it was somewhat of a hassle getting them set up and they aren't cheap (around $170 if I remember).

I use simple 1" handlebar risers and Protaper ATV high bars (and cut 1/2" off each end to make them more narrow). I rerouted the stock cables and they work, barely.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #15432
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
sorry guys I dont come around much anymore but just wanted to share a pic from not that long ago

My sons bike is 3x, and as you can imagine its pretty awesome having father and son Rs
He has the Acerbis Sahara tank in the closet and is getting an SDG gripper seat for xmas, pretty cool huh
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #15433
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,219
Pivotpegz ..best peg around no fitting issues fit perfectly

sent from my phone with my pointy finger Tapatalk 2
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #15434
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote: