Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #61
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
So Claude, when you come up with a $200 2wd and reverse solution for the R100, sign me up!
Okay I will do that.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #62
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,329
1WD has proven sufficient for the modest offroad or off pavement trail riding that I do, with reverse enough to get me out of bad spots, and with a knobbie installed in the rear position (if I have the forethought to do that).

That said, if I had a 2WD machine, I would likely make it a point to seek out situations where it would be necessary to use it and I would enjoy it simply because it's cool. For my riding, it is not a necessity.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #63
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
1WD has proven sufficient for the modest offroad or off pavement trail riding that I do, with reverse enough to get me out of bad spots, and with a knobbie installed in the rear position (if I have the forethought to do that).

That said, if I had a 2WD machine, I would likely make it a point to seek out situations where it would be necessary to use it and I would enjoy it simply because it's cool. For my riding, it is not a necessity.
How dare you be so "churlish"?!!!? Your answer is prolly the only one that fits 99% of sidecar people. 2wd for most is like "needing" a BMW R1200GSA to get you to Starbucks.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #64
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
How dare you be so "churlish"?!!!? Your answer is prolly the only one that fits 99% of sidecar people. 2wd for most is like "needing" a BMW R1200GSA to get you to Starbucks.
Howdy Strong Bad,

Sir, I dare say it is most churlish of you to write so disparagingly of those who need a BMW R1200GSA to navigate the cruel, one could say relentlessly dangerous streets alongside of which most starbucks are located. In future please refrain from such assaults on those who desperately need such a high tech machine to survive the horrible road conditions in the major cities of our planet.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #65
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
I think there is some level of BS, err, confusion in this whole debate, when discussing any sort of off pavement riding.

To the question of whether it is better to have 2wd or not ... of course it is better.
To the question of whether it is better to have reverse or not ... of course it is better.

I think for people to say that 2wd or reverse isn't needed is a little churlish. If there were a 2wd / reverse system out there that cost a couple of hundred bucks, that we could bolt to our bikes in twenty minutes and that didn't mess up our rig's other qualities, we would all have one.

The problem is that there is really only one viable option for getting these capabilities and the debate of whether people are prepared to 'put up with' the perceived shortcomings of the Russian solution is a subject for an entirely different thread.

So Claude, when you come up with a $200 2wd and reverse solution for the R100, sign me up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider View Post
I've never ridden a bike with a sidecar, but have a growing interest in getting one soon. Been riding motorcycles since the early 1970s. I'm thinking about a Ural, primarily because they have a reverse gear. I don't want to start another debate over the reliability or maintenance requirements of a Ural, there are plenty of threads here on that subject. I can handle working on my own bike.

What I am not sure of is how important 2 wheel drive is. I'll be riding a lot of small county roads, many will be dirt/gravel, but not real steep or rocky. Also I will occasionally head out to the Big Bend area. I think a reverse gear is important, but how about 2 wheel drive? Will I regret getting a hack with single drive?

Any input is appreciated...
A coupla lowly 1-wheel drives...

To once again answer the OP's original question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Not very and no.

Momentum is your friend. With the conditions you describe, even that won't be necessary.

Pull the trigger and don't look back.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #66
EvilClown

Another...

Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #67
EvilClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider View Post
I've never ridden a bike with a sidecar, but have a growing interest in getting one soon. Been riding motorcycles since the early 1970s. I'm thinking about a Ural, primarily because they have a reverse gear. I don't want to start another debate over the reliability or maintenance requirements of a Ural, there are plenty of threads here on that subject. I can handle working on my own bike.

What I am not sure of is how important 2 wheel drive is. I'll be riding a lot of small county roads, many will be dirt/gravel, but not real steep or rocky. Also I will occasionally head out to the Big Bend area. I think a reverse gear is important, but how about 2 wheel drive? Will I regret getting a hack with single drive?

Any input is appreciated...
But if it is steep an rocky a 1-wheel dirve might get you there...

Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #68
Mr. Cob

Howdy EvilCLown,

Thanks for the videos,

Yes your video shows how one wheel drive can go pretty darn good, WHEN your moving and have momentum working for you.

However if for whatever reason you had to get started half way up such hilly or slippery terrain even if you could get moving again in one wheel drive you would find it MUCH easier to do with two wheel drive.

And thats the other thing folks seem to be over looking when it comes to the use of two wheel drive, used within the design envelope of the machine its a heck of a lot easier on the machine and the rider to use two wheel drive to over come some obstacles then it is to ride these same terrain elements if done in one wheel drive.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #69
EvilClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy EvilCLown,

Thanks for the videos,

Yes your video shows how one wheel drive can go pretty darn good, WHEN your moving and have momentum working for you.

However if for whatever reason you had to get started half way up such hilly or slippery terrain even if you could get moving again in one wheel drive you would find it MUCH easier to do with two wheel drive.

And thats the other thing folks seem to be over looking when it comes to the use of two wheel drive, used within the design envelope of the machine its a heck of a lot easier on the machine and the rider to use two wheel drive to over come some obstacles then it is to ride these same terrain elements if done in one wheel drive.
No argument from me. Just answering the original questions and did mention in my replies that with a Ural - 1 or 2 wheel drive - momentum is your friend.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #70
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
momentum is your friend.

Go big or go home....

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #71
EvilClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Go big or go home....

This one is a bit of a slow start but it gets there eventually...

That was one mucky St Patty's day.

When it got bad the 2-wheel drive didn't fair any better than this 1-wheel drive did.

We did manage to get them all out. Under their own power.

The Ural really is an amazing machine for what it is. Always amazes me what it'll go through. But it's important to have the right rubber on it for these antics.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #72
Mr. Cob

Howdy All,

This is one of the six videos I have posted concerning the 2009 Moab Ural gathering. Many times in these videos I will purposely go slow when going up or down rough stuff to give a much better idea of how nasty some of this stuff is, this happens in the first part of this video.

Fast forward to about 4:45 in the video you will see one of the rigs is in ONE wheel drive and slows down because of the rough roads and rocks, he has a hell of a time getting going again and is passed by a couple of other rigs who are in two wheel drive, you can tell they are in two wheel drive as watch close and you can see both the pusher and the sidecar wheel kick dirt to get and keep moving. I forget the riders name but you can see once he shifts into two wheel drive he has no problem getting going again.

Like has been said and I agree, two wheel drive is not needed but it sure comes in handy even when doing semi-sane rough road riding as this video proves. It was about a three mile climb from the bottom to the top of these switch-backs, its on such terrain that its a heck of a lot easier on the rig to just put it in two wheel drive at the bottom and leave it there till you've reached the top.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #73
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
How important is 4X4, or AWD for a car or truck?

Put aside the sales pitch for it, and the chest thumping against it, and simply answer this question, are you going to ride in times and places where traction is going to be a real issue?

Under most circumstances 2wd isnt going to make a huge difference in where you can ride, its mostly about making difficult conditions much easier to deal with.
Gee, I thought I summed it up pretty well in my first post in this thread.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #74
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,774
Deep sand is the only time I use 2wd, and even rarely in deep sand. And in off-roading, you'd be amazed at how easy it is to use a ratchet strap as a winch. Reverse is never really needed, but it definitely makes parking easier.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy.

RidingDonkeys screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 04:08 AM
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #75
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy Strong Bad,

Sir, I dare say it is most churlish of you to write so disparagingly of those who need a BMW R1200GSA to navigate the cruel, one could say relentlessly dangerous streets alongside of which most starbucks are located. In future please refrain from such assaults on those who desperately need such a high tech machine to survive the horrible road conditions in the major cities of our planet.
I agree completely with Mr. Cob. I would not attempt the half mile journey to my local Starbucks without a BMW GSA. Since I don't own a GSA I have to take my Humvee.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote