Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootrider View Post
Senior Juan!

Finally caught up. Great entertainment and education. Love the masonry critiques, as I have done a fair bit in my day. Contributed to your 'kittie'.

Question: What's up with the flats? Are these punctures or is there something going on inside like spoke nipples chafing through the rim tape or something....Curious, because changing flats on either of my bikes would be much more PITA. I think your ride is prob one of the easiest types of bikes to do roadside repairs on no?

Am also following Dwight er, Kedgi. You guys are both great travel loggers, and the differences are interesting....Looking forward to when you finally meet up.

Thanks for doing all this, Phelps
Hi Phelps,

It's my pleasure. Thanks for the donation. It will go to the guides for the El Mirador expedition. It looks like it's on for day after tomorrow. 5 days of slogging through the jungle to see some awesome ruins. El Tigre is the height of a 21 story building. Pictures from the top will be due in part to your sponsorship. They say you can see Calakmul from the top. That is the honkin' pyramid I climbed on the Mexico/Guat border a couple weeks ago.

As far as flats, there seems to be a slight imperfection in the sidewall of my rear tire. None of them have come from punctures. The flats are all initially coming from abrasion in the exact same spot on the side of the tube 12 inches from the valvestem. Baby powder would probably help, but I forgot to bring any and I keep meaning to pick some up but haven't in the last 7000 miles. The other flats are from the cold patches peeling off in the hot weather running hard. It's no big deal. I'll be replacing the rear tire soon and in the meantime I get to change my rear tube every 1000 miles or so. The Sherpa with it's small tires is a piece of cake to change flats on. I'm getting really fast.

You live in a beautiful area of the country. At least it was nice a couple of summers ago when I passed through.

Scootrider goes on the gas tank. Glad to have you along as Chief Executive in charge of Granite Quarrying Operations.

Kindest regards,
John Downs