ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #31
friar mike
IronButtGruver
 
friar mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by partireper.it View Post
Mike, all your advices help me thinking well about all this winter alaska idea of mine but I also need to put into consideration that people went there on a bike in february and march, like Rolland and few others.
I won't push myself too far is it's not possible but I will give it a try.
That is why I would like to ask if you, from WHITEHORSE to TOK which route would you suggest to find the better condition in march april? The one that goes across Dawson City ot the one across Beaver Creek?
Thanks a lot
well the one over the top (Dawson City ) is closed that time of year so you have to come Beaver creek way its the only way in to Alaska and April would be alot nicer weather wise you see the upper Tanana valley that is the valley you run through coming into Alaska has some of the coldest recorded temps on the continent if I remember right snag creek just out side of Beaver creek is the record holder. Places like Fairbanks are warm compared to what you have to go through before you get there.
__________________
We,re on a mission from God. "blues brothers"
Don't go up there someone's going to die. "Walter"
A world without string is chaos
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #32
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Tee- here....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #33
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Canada eh?
Oddometer: 817
I mean...tee- hee.......( damn auto correct and bad eyes.....Fack yes, I was to lazy to zoom in and see what I was writing)
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #34
AKjack
Savvy?
 
AKjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 39
You may need these

AKjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #35
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil
 
Alcan Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Just over the rear wheel
Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I mean...tee- hee.......( damn auto correct and bad eyes.....Fack yes, I was to lazy to zoom in and see what I was writing)
Hey! He doesn't need any encouragement.

Guess you didn't get washed into Lake Ontario by Sandy. How ya doin', Lorie?
__________________
"I am in the prime of senility." Ben Franklin
I'm so old I remember when the gallons rose faster than the dollars on gas pumps.
The Lure of the Dalton, The Lure of the Dempster, Haul Road Chronicles, My Evening Rides, Alaska Primer
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #36
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 289
Tok can be one of the coldest places in Alaska and it is a couple hundred miles south of Fairbanks. It was -35 (F) there this morning and it is not even Thanksgiving yet. There are some great places in the Western US to explore that might fit better with your March/April schedule. Good luck.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #37
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 3,339
NOT from AK but...

Ran the Haul Road from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay in early June (June 9-10) and the road was fine then.

Any earlier and I'd be concerned about the LOW temperatures.

You can make it a GREAT RIDE or a TREACHEROUS one. Your choice.
Some pictures from my 2012 ride can be found here:
http://s635.beta.photobucket.com/use...%20to%20Alaska
http://s635.beta.photobucket.com/use...0Alaska%202012

BTW...if you make the ride...at a reasonable time...the MARION CREEK CAMPGROUND...5 miles North of Coldfoot is a good place to stay. Cheap...too. $8.

Ride safely.

Welcome to America.

Also...it was 82 degrees F when I left Fairbanks on June 9th.
PS...When in Fairbanks or Anchorage...stay at the University of Alaska. $57 per night. Cheap. Great rooms.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 07:08 PM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #38
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 3,339
FAST EDDIE's at TOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
Tok can be one of the coldest places in Alaska and it is a couple hundred miles south of Fairbanks. It was -35 (F) there this morning and it is not even Thanksgiving yet. There are some great places in the Western US to explore that might fit better with your March/April schedule. Good luck.
Yeah...like he said...come visit COLORADO until late May and then head north. That's what I did this year.

BTW...at -35 Degrees...I'll be FAST EDDIE's was pouring the coffee! Great place for breakfast, lunch, dinner...
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #39
partireper.it OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
partireper.it's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Florence, Italy
Oddometer: 121
Hi guys and thanks for the info.
I had a talk with Sjaak Lucassen who did the Alaska ride in February with his Yamaha R1. Although he was fully sponsored he said that with a good prep I could make it myself. He also said that the road to Fairbanks it's well mantained and selad while instead from Fairbanks to Pradhow Bay no asphald at all and very limited fuel. Woud you agree on this?
__________________
"The best trip is the one able to take us to ourselves"

www.Partireper.it - Adventure travels on the road.
partireper.it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #40
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil
 
Alcan Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Just over the rear wheel
Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by partireper.it View Post
Hi guys and thanks for the info.
I had a talk with Sjaak Lucassen who did the Alaska ride in February with his Yamaha R1. Although he was fully sponsored he said that with a good prep I could make it myself. He also said that the road to Fairbanks it's well mantained and selad while instead from Fairbanks to Pradhow Bay no asphald at all and very limited fuel. Woud you agree on this?
The roads all the way from the 48 states, up through Canada, and to major Alaska cities are well-maintained and heavily traveled all year round. That doesn't mean that a heavy snowstorm won't stop you for a day or two while crews are getting it cleared off. But you can expect pretty easy conditions - other than cold temperatures - all through the year. In some places the roads are actually better during the winter, when packed snow fills in the potholes.

North of Fairbanks the highway is paved with asphalt all the way to the beginning of the Dalton Hwy/Haul Road. After that, it is about 1/3 paved, the rest is gravel. The time of year you are talking about, you probably won't notice the difference, although if it has started to warm up and melt, south-facing slopes may be thawing and muddy while north-facing slopes are still snow-covered and possibly slick. The farther north you go, however, the more snowpack and the smoother the road. Also, the colder it is, the better the traction. Once you get north of Coldfoot the road will probably be completely snow-covered, and the surface has little dimples in it from truck's tire chains running over it. That shouldn't affect your traction adversely.

You'll need gas enough to get you from the Fairbanks area (I always top off at Hilltop) to Coldfoot, a distance of about 250 miles. And from Coldfoot to the gas pumps in Deadhorse is another 250 miles. But you'd better have enough fuel for at least 100 miles more than that in case you have to turn around before you get to the next fuel source. Recommended minimum range when the weather is questionable is 320 miles.
__________________
"I am in the prime of senility." Ben Franklin
I'm so old I remember when the gallons rose faster than the dollars on gas pumps.
The Lure of the Dalton, The Lure of the Dempster, Haul Road Chronicles, My Evening Rides, Alaska Primer
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #41
partireper.it OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
partireper.it's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Florence, Italy
Oddometer: 121
thank you so much, that was the kinda practical advise I was looking for. has it ever been unusually warmer than below 40 celcius in that area during march april?
__________________
"The best trip is the one able to take us to ourselves"

www.Partireper.it - Adventure travels on the road.
partireper.it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #42
partireper.it OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
partireper.it's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Florence, Italy
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
The roads all the way from the 48 states, up through Canada, and to major Alaska cities are well-maintained and heavily traveled all year round. That doesn't mean that a heavy snowstorm won't stop you for a day or two while crews are getting it cleared off. But you can expect pretty easy conditions - other than cold temperatures - all through the year. In some places the roads are actually better during the winter, when packed snow fills in the potholes.

North of Fairbanks the highway is paved with asphalt all the way to the beginning of the Dalton Hwy/Haul Road. After that, it is about 1/3 paved, the rest is gravel. The time of year you are talking about, you probably won't notice the difference, although if it has started to warm up and melt, south-facing slopes may be thawing and muddy while north-facing slopes are still snow-covered and possibly slick. The farther north you go, however, the more snowpack and the smoother the road. Also, the colder it is, the better the traction. Once you get north of Coldfoot the road will probably be completely snow-covered, and the surface has little dimples in it from truck's tire chains running over it. That shouldn't affect your traction adversely.

You'll need gas enough to get you from the Fairbanks area (I always top off at Hilltop) to Coldfoot, a distance of about 250 miles. And from Coldfoot to the gas pumps in Deadhorse is another 250 miles. But you'd better have enough fuel for at least 100 miles more than that in case you have to turn around before you get to the next fuel source. Recommended minimum range when the weather is questionable is 320 miles.


looks like you know exactly what islike to ride up there in march
__________________
"The best trip is the one able to take us to ourselves"

www.Partireper.it - Adventure travels on the road.
partireper.it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #43
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil
 
Alcan Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Just over the rear wheel
Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by partireper.it View Post
has it ever been unusually warmer than below 40 celcius in that area during march april?
By the middle of March it is very unusual for the temperatures to get as low as -40C/F, and by the end of March/first of April it may get above freezing during the day but down to -30C/-22F at night.

Something to be aware of - the warming temperatures of spring often bring late winter snowstorms. As you travel north that time of year you may pass through a band of such weather, but once you get into winter weather, it can be quite nice with clear skies.
__________________
"I am in the prime of senility." Ben Franklin
I'm so old I remember when the gallons rose faster than the dollars on gas pumps.
The Lure of the Dalton, The Lure of the Dempster, Haul Road Chronicles, My Evening Rides, Alaska Primer
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #44
partireper.it OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
partireper.it's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Florence, Italy
Oddometer: 121
Is there any chances for us two to keep in touch as I climb the american continent?
__________________
"The best trip is the one able to take us to ourselves"

www.Partireper.it - Adventure travels on the road.
partireper.it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #45
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer
 
Cubdriver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Palmer, Alaska
Oddometer: 664
If you wear a skirt you won't have any choice BUT for Jack to keep in touch.
__________________
09 R1200R, F800GS, HD Softail..... OOPS not on this site

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014